Advice For Community of Authors and Poets with related category indexing

In working with Wordpress and Buddypress I am beginning to feel like a toddler trying to fit a square in a round hole.

I have nearly 9000 poems/stories over 200 categories from an old scratch built cms, and trying to make a go with WP and some social communications. I'd really like to allow each author to showcase himself/herself and works without the plethora of distractions.

Is there an existing solution to have a miniversion of Buddypress (or similar) on the author.php page. Perhaps all the communication stuff in the sidebar or minimized enough so that the focus is on the works rather than the BP buttons taking center stage.

In addition, I thought that multisite would be a good way for authors have a feeling of ownership, but Im battling with how to come to a middle ground between having the sub-domain be unique to the author while still feeling connected to the group of writers.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @John,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Could you let me know what sort of features you need here, as this could be possible without BuddyPress or Multisite.

For example if you don't need the social features of BuddyPress such as Private messaging, friends etc. We might be able to make use of custom user roles and front-end editing :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• John

Hi Jack,

Got alot of things going on in my head, so bare with me as I need some guidance

Thanks for getting back to me. I want private inbox, something that actually looks like an inbox complete with spam report and reject user. I like the ability to comment on each users post, but being that it's poetry (art that's real personal), maybe the comment could also be a private comment or inbox message, as to not publicly display a creative criticism with the option right at the comment location without having click to redownload a whole new page. What would be nice is if these communications didnt have to make a trip to the server to download everything, but instead used ajax to simply get the 1-4k of changes.

One of the things I do like about BP is the Recent Authors and members widgets. I am currently using Buddy Blog for author front end submission, but its so limiting. Some of the users want to write short stories while some want to write poetry. With the large category base, having all these selection options on one page can be overwhelming. Its just too much going on for one page.

I like the idea of multi-site, because somewhere in my mind I got the idea that it's essential for getting subscribers to pay anything. I'm probably wrong, but right now thats my understanding. But if I offered premium multisite, how could it be done so that the non premium accounts posts stay on the main domain while allowing the premium members share consistent poetry /short story schema for sharing with the main site. So that USER A could navigate thru mainsite.com/poemtypes/cats/index and link to the destination where the poem is at. If its not a premium, goto mainsite.com/poemtypes/cats/thePoem, and if it is a premium goto author.mainsite.com/poemtypes/cats/index in a new window.

I have a lot of questions as you can see. Would you think that this is a better way to do it or might you have a better suggestion?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @John,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information, that certainly does help in understanding what you need here.

I believe BuddyPress is the right way to go here in this use case, with the issue of the premium content, what are you looking to protect? As you could use our Membership plugin for protecting on a single site for example, if you could advise :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.