Advice for inspiration

Hello wiser men and women than I!

I want to make a 'demo' website to demonstrate to an organization I am a member of (non-commercial) that one like this would much better suit our needs (collaboration in writing, art, other digital media.. but in a hobbyist way fyi) than the stuck-in-time forum from 2004 we still use.

In this demonstration I plan on 'test running' the real site by myself creating all the group's members accounts and areas and whatnot.

Anyway, I notice that the newer plugins don't involve BuddyPress at all and that BuddyPress is starting to look a bit dated. What are your (1) opinions on BuddyPress v the Community etc plugins for this purpose and (2) what would you recommend for beginners to start with?

There, I made a post.

Thanks,
A. F.

• Connectivity.Engineer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

A.F.

I run a not-for-profit for religious groups - and I am there with you... To Buddy Press or Not to Buddy Press...

The community plugin seems to have much better traction but it falls short of what Buddy Press can do.

I kinda think of it as Buddy Press light.

So - really what you need to think about is do you need all the frills that Buddy Press gives you

As for us - we started with the community stuff - however ended up moving over to Buddy Press as we wanted (rather ended up needing) to give our users more.

Do you need individual blogs and/or sites?

If not - then community I think will fit your needs. . .

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya AF, thanks for your post.

Thanks @cloudhopping for chiming in on this one.

BuddyPress is more about providing social network to your site as compared to Communities plugin which is not just about a network but social features.

If you are looking forward to let your members register for sites too, then you can use BuddyPress as they can be a part of the social network on the main site and run their own individual sites as well.

If I were to choose, I would go with BuddyPress as using plugins like BuddyPress activity plus, I can supercharge my BuddyPress site and can also use Groups Events plugin to create events and engage the community.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.