Advice - "multiDB" for multi networks but sharing common user tables in global db

If i run a wp/bp multisite and multinetwork, and i wanted all "sub networks" and blogs of those networks to run their own "db's" BUT i wanted all to share say the wp_users and wp_usersmeta tables from one common global db... which would be the best way to go about this? Multi-DB plugin? Preferably i would like each "network" to have its own db, but share common users and any related user info e.g. meta info and i guess buddypress tables (eg friends lists would present some issues"

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @greg_mcewan_marriott, I hope you're well today!

The multi-db plugin allows specific blogs to have their own database, but I'm not sure it can do the same for a whole network... I have notified the plugin developer on this one, hopefully their insights will help us figure this one out.

Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities so this could take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Multi network usually means using a multi network plugin and a single wp install still. In that usage multidb will work just fine, multi network doesn't affect the underlying db structure at all.

If you are talking about separate wp installs, sharing user tables that's different. It could work, provided the global tables for all networks are in the same global db with unique db prefixes.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.