Advice needed to structure a multisite membership affiliate project

Here's the project.
One site, with two themes inside one wordpress installation, using multisite and subdirectories.

The main site .com is the front face and where affiliate referrals should be directed.

The second theme is installed at a .com/members sub directory and is for the purpose of managing the protected members only content.

I tried installing memberships premium plugin and got really frustrated, so I deactivated and deleted it for now.

Here's the flow.
I need the public to be directed to the main home page of the main site.
Then, they can join free for a basic membership and have access to the general members area and basic content.
premium members can access more etc.

When I installed memberships, I also enabled the global setting in wp config
I tried to enable the plugin from the network dash, but couldnt. So I enabled it from the site and the subdirectory dashboards. That put memberships as an option on both dashboards.
Both were totally seperate membership programs and neither would allow me to set up subscriptions. So I deleted the plugin and I'm waiting for some guidance.

The main thing is that I want people to join from some link on my main page (wordpress theme #1), to get access to the subdirectory (wordpress theme #2) content and members forum, and I want affiliates to be able to promote the main page (wordpress theme #1) with their links, and get credit for the member when they pay, every month that they are a member. Sounded simple to me.....at first.

so, would it work if:
I installed the memberships plugin on the network and enabled/set it up on the protected content theme (theme #2) at the subdirectory /members
and installed the affiliates plugin to the same place, but modified the affiliate links for their promotional use, to the main site url instead of the subdirectory url, leaving the affiliate referral id tag in place?

I can't be the only person with this question
UGH
I need a shot of whiskey.................

• aecnu

Greetings william_bronson,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Membership is the right plugin for the job you have described and network activation is also the way to go to cover sites within the network.

On this next attempt to get this under control, please do not make any adjustments to the wp-config.php file. My Membership installation is working fine without wp-config.php modifications.

When you get stuck at a certain point submit a ticket and one of us on the support team should be able to help you through it.

Now thinking of the site structure you have chosen and then the second site, I would not configure it in this manner as earlier described.

Personally I would make the original site the catch all site NOT protected by the membership plugin at all but just a sales machine and funnel to subsite(s) protected with the membership plugin making management simpler and compartmentalizing the sites with each one focusing on there specific mission.

Once these are up and running then it is time to deal with the affiliate equation.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• phkillian

@william_bronson

Wondering how your site setup for your multisite for affiliates worked out. I'm doing something similar. I'm curious if you had your affliiiates complete their own subdirectory page or is that something you did yourself? Did you get the membership plugin to work as you wanted?

If possible I would like to connect to you directly to get into more of the detail of what you have created and I can tell you what I am working on. My email is in my profile.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.