I'm looking to get some custom functionality for my website. Here's the problem I want to solve. I'm in the acne niche and I often write about studies showing promising results with this or that ingredient (say vitamin C or green tea extract). The problem is I don't have good way to help my readers to find these products. So I want to build a database of skincare products into my site.
Having never done anything like this, I was hoping the experts here could set me on the right track before I get started.
Here's the data I would like to see for each product:
* Product name and image
* Link to the product
* Star rating
* Brief commentary on the product
* Expert reviews from other websites, basically a brief summary of the review and link to the site
* Ability for users to leave their own reviews
* Average customer rating
* Active ingredients with data for each ingredient being pulled from the ingredient database entries
These fields would be filled manually when I create the entry for each product
I think this would require 2 types of database entries:
* The product itself
* Entry for each ingredient. The ingredient entries would contain description of efficacy and perhaps links to supporting studies.
I would also need custom post types or page templates for displaying the data for each product and ingredient.
Could this be done with Custom Press plugin? Do I need to get a custom plugin built for this? Or should this be handles outside WP?