Advice On How To Best Structure the Plugin

HI all, just trying to figure out if I can make this plugin work for my purpose.. I think it can, but I am not too bright and can't figure out when to use custom taxonomies, tags, etc.

I want to create a web site directory where businesses can add their own listings.

I will target mainly 2 groups, let's call them Agents and Appraisers. A listing can NOT be both.

-Is there a way to have 2 different signup pages, one targeted for Agents and one for Appraisers?

-Can I allow Agents to be FREE but charge the Appraisers? How do I distinguish in my setup?

I want a website visitor to be able and browse either an Agent or an Appraiser directory.

-Same question as above, except from the person browsing stand point? How do I create 2 distinct directories?

I need basic info, such as address, city, state, zip, phone, web, etc. for each category listing.

-Can they be slightly different for Agents and Appraisers?

Would it be best to use WP Multi Site?

• aecnu

Greetings btchadski,

Thank you for the great questions.

I think it can, but I am not too bright and can't figure out when to use custom taxonomies, tags, etc.

I would not consider this at all just because you are not a programmer or coder and the most important part is that you are trying because we all know what happens if one does not try - nothing :slight_smile: - which that alone certainly makes you brighter then a good percentage of the population.

Is there a way to have 2 different signup pages, one targeted for Agents and one for Appraisers?

Not as the plugin comes out of the box and would need heavy custom coding to make it happen. But I were to do this I would make one MultiSite and two sub sites with Directory configured to the applicable market i.e. 1 sub site for agents and one for appraisers. This would un-complicate things right away.

Can I allow Agents to be FREE but charge the Appraisers? How do I distinguish in my setup?

My suggested scenario would make this a possibility still using the out of the box plugin and just configuring as applicable.

Same question as above, except from the person browsing stand point? How do I create 2 distinct directories?

By creating two distinct directories as mentioned above.

I need basic info, such as address, city, state, zip, phone, web, etc. for each category listing.

This would be part of the advertisers (so to speak) items to include in their post.

Can they be slightly different for Agents and Appraisers?

Absolutely in the proposed scenario.

Would it be best to use WP Multi Site?

You are spot on here and that is indeed what I have proposed as being a workable solution.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT week ahead!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings btchadski,

Thank you for the additional questions and to the first question is there a way to output URL's such as: .com/agents/alaska/anchorage/ not that I am aware of and do not think so unless you somehow change the slugs.

To the second I do not know at all how this is to be accomplished or if it can, but do know that the melding of the databases is going to be a chore as well.

However, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us and give the final word.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold

You can do it but it's likely to be a pain to maintain.

You would need to add another hierarchical Taxonomy called "agents" and assign it to directory_listings. Then in Agents create an Alaska category and then an Anchorage category with Alaska as it's parent. Then you'll get an URL like

http://example.com/agents/alaska/anchorage/

but also

http://example.com/agents/anchorage/ which would take you to the same set of listings.

But http://example.com/agents/

would Not show all agents because agents is not data it's a bucket for data.

Where it gets complex is if you also created an "appraiser" taxonomy, you would have to duplicate the state city hierarchy there as well.

Also there is a potential for colliding duplicate slugs in which case you would get anchorage and anchorage-1 for example.

And this would have to be input Correctly in the appropriate taxonomy fields. You couldn't just enter it as part of the custom fields for state and city and expect it to figure out which taxonomy category to check off. Having naive users get it right would be problematic.

• Arnold

The way I'd do it isuse CustomPress and make an Agents and an Appraisers custom post type. That divides your data into two types. Then add taxonomies and custom fields as necessary for each type.

But that means you need to know some programming if you want front end editor etc. The Directory would be an example of one such. You'd need to make your own for each type. If you're not a programmer and fairly familiar it's goning to be rough.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.