Advice on setting up my membership area

Hello

I'd just like clafication on whether I've set-up my membership buddypress area correctly. All visitors can access the area, but only signed-up members can create a profile, interact and post to the forum. There is no protected content:

http://480.19c.myftpupload.com/ific-members-network

1) There is one access level of paid membership which lasts one year
2) The memberships need to auto-renew via Paypal
3) Members who cancel should ideally not see their BuddyPress profile anymore, but at least not be able to log-in and do the things they were able to (BuddyPress and BBPress activity).

Could you outline the basic steps and settings I should be using to enable this functionality?

Thanks

• Peter

Things I'm looking for guidance on are:

1) What's the right paypal gateway for auto-renewals?

2) What's the right Member Access mode for yearly auto-renewals, is it Serial?

3) Do I need an access level for members who fail to be renewed to drop down to that prevents them accessing their account?

4) If my new users are being set to Full Member automatically, will the drop in access level work? (I ask this because I tried dropping a user manually and they stayed at Full Member - by default).

5) If a member deletes their account from their profile settings page, will the auto-renew payment stop too?

5) Am I missing any settings/issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Peter, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

#1: You'd be looking at the "PayPal Payments Standard" gateway for this one. :slight_smile:

#2: Yep, it'd be Serial.

#3: That shouldn't be necessary here.

#4: You wouldn't want to set a default subscription to the Full membership, unless your plan is to give away free memberships? Unless you've got a plugin that allows user to register using something other than Membership's registration form, then you'd usually want to set "Use subscription" to "None" inside of:

Membership -> Options -> General -> Default subscription for registered users

#5: Not that I'm aware of, if a user did that, he'd still have to go into PayPal and cancel there.

The #6 formerly known as #5: Not that I'm aware of. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Peter

Thanks for that Michael,

On point 4, I do have a plug-in - Woo Commerce. New users who buy something are meant to automatically become members (for free), so having the default setting set to Full Member for a year sort of works for that purpose. However, am I setting a trap for myself here? Is this setting going to give all users membership for life because Membership won't let them fall below Full Member?

Should I just set it to 'none' and manually set WooCommerce users to Full Members when they make a purchase?

Does this make any sense, or do you have a better idea?

Thanks

• Peter

Sorry for all the questions, but I have another one:

If the 'default' subscription is set to Full Member (finite - 1 year), when it expires (without being renewed) does that user become a 'stranger' again and adopt that assigned level of access? Or does the 'default' setting override it?

I think this question, and the one above about 'Finite' Paypal gateways are really important to me.

Many thanks

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Peter, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

New users who buy something are meant to automatically become members (for free), so having the default setting set to Full Member for a year sort of works for that purpose. However, am I setting a trap for myself here? Is this setting going to give all users membership for life because Membership won't let them fall below Full Member?

Should I just set it to 'none' and manually set WooCommerce users to Full Members when they make a purchase?

Usually, you'd want to set the "Default Subscription" to a free subscription, not one of the premium ones (since they would be always at that level, if no other level has been assigned to them).

If we went with 'Finite' for a year instead, what's the process for the member? Do they just get email reminders with a link to a 'renew your membership' page with Paypal button?

If this was the default though, would members who have not renewed after the year's up still have the same access privilages? I'm guessing they would?

Yes, they would still have the same access privileges, if that subscription was set to the default. :slight_smile:

And if I did go with 'Finite', is the PayPal Payments Standard still the right one, or do I use the single payment gateway?

PayPal Payments Standard would work just fine with Finite subscriptions, that wouldn't be an issue. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.