Advice needed for best way to make money with WPMU

I have my WPMU install all setup and ready to go, but I'm not sure that I am going about making money the right way.

Basically, I want people to have 3 options:

1. Free site, basic themes, basic plugins
2. Pro site, extra themes, extra plugins.
3. Premium site, same as pro site but our people would build and maintain the site for the client.

And we'd also like to give clients the option to buy more disk space.

Right now I am using Support for options 1 and 2 and using Upgrades to allow disk space purchase. This is probably the normal way to do it, but I really find the "credit" system to be a little awkward.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to use a system like Supporter but ADJUST the subscription rates. Ie:

- if the user wants an extra 2gb of disk space, their subscription goes up by $10/m.
- if the user wants a managed site, their subscription goes up by $50/m

Can something like this be done with the Membership plugin? Is there another combination of plugins that will let me accomplish this?

• drmike

Just to throw this out there, I've gone ahead and added in the Make Money with Wordpress Multiuser tag to this thread (OK, it;s really just Make Money. Thinking of SEO here) so you can see some of the previous threads on this topic.

Most of our installs do it how you suggest, Supporter for the step up with Upgrades as the additional Space step up with different levels of additional space. You actually could do all three levels with the Upgrades plugin though. Do the Pro level as one Upgrade and the Premium as another. Just a matter of assigning which specific plugins you would need in there.

I haven't looked at the membership plugin though. It's on my todo list.

• James Farmer

That sounds remarkably like Edublogs and it works for us :slight_smile:

I'd also use some 'negative' persuasion techniques for free sites too though - like ads.

The next version of Supporter may include some additional features too - levels etc. - although they may be in a later version too, which should fit your needs.

So my advice would be:

- Get stuff working with the Supporter plugin off the bat
    - Do premium stuff manually
    - Once you've got the fundamentals (free / Pro / Premium) working - worry about the other details

By which time we should have developed a solution for them :slight_smile:

Sound cool?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.