Affiliate code on registration

Can anyone explain how to use the affiliate plugin so I can do the following?

I want to ask for an affiliate code on the registration/payment page. However, if the person was not referred by anyone then I want an option for them to pay without entering an affiliate code.

Is this possible?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi michaelcoulter5,

The Affiliate plugin normally tracks everything by click-throughs, detecting any incoming affiliate links. That would mean that you wouldn't have to ask for an affiliate code as such.

Would that default behavior not work better in your scenario, so users don't have to remember and enter an affiliate code?

I'm sure it would be possible to ask for the affiliate code, but it would require some extensive customization, basically because you'd have to somehow add it into the registration process.

Cheers,
    David

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

David

Could I use the invite codes for people who are coming to the website directly, not from an affiliate link but rather from someone who gave them the invite code?

Could both the invite code and affiliate link process work? Would I need to create 2 separate landing pages, one for those with an invite code and one for those coming in through an affiliate link?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi michaelcoulter5,

You could definitely use both together and nope, you wouldn't need to create 2 separate landing pages.

The invite code would either restrict or allow signups based on the invite code however. In other words, even affiliate referred users would still need the invite code in order to complete the signup process.

Basically, the invite code is required for signup.

Cheers,
    David

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

David
    I think I can do this without the referral code. I will just have affilates give their customers their unique affiliate URL which will go to the registration page.

Will this work for domains outside the membership site? Will I use the multi domains plugin?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

With Affiliate network activated, it'll provide that feature throughout your network and track the signups. I haven't heard of any issues with Affiliate and Multi-Domains or Domain Mapping myself, and I imagine they'd run just fine together.

So basically, you'd just need to network activate Affiliate.

Cheers,
    David

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

I am not clear on how to use the affiliate codes. Where are they? How do I give them to affiliates? Can they be customized, such as adding the affiliates name at the end of the URL, rather than a random set up letters and numbers? Something is missing in the instructions because I am clueless on how to use this and make it easy for members to figure out what it is about and how to use it.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

Sorry I missed your last responses! I see what you mean regarding the instruction page and we're working on that one, to clarify and provide more info on how it all works.

Basically though, users signup as affiliates by settings up the settings at Users > Affiliate Referrals or at whatever page you utilize the shortcodes in.

With that setup, they'll receive an affiliate id and an affiliate link. Traffic sent to your site using that link will be recorded as an affiliate referral.

Alternatively, they have the option to have all traffic sent from their specified domain be linked to that affiliate id, so they don't need to use that specific link, but any traffic coming from their domain will be recorded as a referral.

Perhaps that'll help explain it for the moment? Just let me know any questions you have on that.

Thanks,
    David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.