Affiliate plugin and membership - Setup help required

I have membership and the affiliate plugin installed on a new 'vanilla' WP site setup. (no MU no BP)

I do not understand how the affiliate works - I may be missing the point - should I be able to set the percentage of payment somewhere?

I can see the Affiliate System Admin in the dashboard but there seems to be frighteningly few variables to set.

can you help and advise please?

• AltisonaMedia
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think I just need to ask some simple questions about this plugin:

1. Does the plugin just track affiliates and log the sales associated with them?
    2. Is the payment process manual (i.e. when you pay the affiliate commission)
    3. Do I apply whatever percentage of the sale value (the commission) at the point of payment?
    4. Can I assume that membership is now integrated with the latest plugin version?

This might be a better starting point to help understand what this plugin puts in place.

Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@AltisonaMedia
    In answer to your questions:

1. Does the plugin just track affiliates and log the sales associated with them?

Yes

2. Is the payment process manual (i.e. when you pay the affiliate commission)

Yes

3. Do I apply whatever percentage of the sale value (the commission) at the point of payment?

The amount you pay for each subscription is set in the membership plugin once the integration code is added - the affiliate plugin then uses this amount to assign the correct amount to the affiliate when someone signs up.

4. Can I assume that membership is now integrated with the latest plugin version?

You need to download and install the integration plugin available from here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/affiliate-membership-plugin-integration
    Installation instructions are here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/affiliate-membership-plugin-integration/installation/

• AltisonaMedia

The amount you pay for each subscription is set in the membership plugin once the integration code is added - the affiliate plugin then uses this amount to assign the correct amount to the affiliate when someone signs up.

I can 't see where I set the amount. Can you please tell me where in the membership option I do this

Also - the membership.php file seems to already exist in the plugins plugin folder (which is incorrectly named in the installation instructions, I am assuming that the membership plugin ships with the affiliate integration as the file is already in place.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

, I am assuming that the membership plugin ships with the affiliate integration as the file is already in place.

The plugin/ add-on is an affiliate plugin one, so the membership plugin wouldn't ship with it, no.

Once you have downloaded the affiliate-membership add on and uploaded it into the directory within the affiliatelite directory mentioned in the installation instructions, then if you edit a subscription within the membership admin area and scroll down to the bottom of the susbscription form you will see the affiliate settings for that subscription.

• AltisonaMedia

What I meant was that the membership.php file is already present in the affiliates plugins plugin folder.

/wp-content/plugins/affiliate/affiliatelite/plugins

I have overwritten this membership.php file with the one provided as the integration plugin. (I assume they are the same file?) - Is the path correct as there is an extra folder in the installation of the affiliate plugin to the one referenced in the instructions for the affiliate-membership integration plugin.

I have set up a payment gateway, level and subscription, but I still can't see the affiliate settings on the edit subscription page.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

What I meant was that the membership.php file is already present in the affiliates plugins plugin folder.

Ok, that's not what you wrote though :slight_smile:

Is the path correct as there is an extra folder in the installation of the affiliate plugin to the one referenced in the instructions for the affiliate-membership integration plugin.

What path are you seeing and what path were you expecting?

I still can't see the affiliate settings on the edit subscription page

Then it isn't in the correct place from the sounds of it - I guess it's something to do with the issue above - let me know the directories - note: it should be in the same place as the existing supporter.php file in the affiliate plugins directory.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

This is the instructions btw:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/affiliate-membership-plugin-integration/installation/

Download and unzip the file and place the membership.php file into your affiliate plugins plugin directory.

For an affiliate plugin installed in the standard plugins directory this would be:

wp-content/plugins/affiliatelite/plugins

For an affiliate plugin installed in mu-plugins this would be:

wp-content/mu-plugins/affiliatelite/plugins

• AltisonaMedia

I fear I must be doing something wrong...

..however I have followed the instructions meticulously for installing, on a standard WP install, the:
    1. Membership plugin - which works.
    2. Affiliates plugin - which appears on my dashboard, so appears to work.
    3. Affiliates-membership integration add-on (membership.php, which is already installed alongside the supporter.php as part of the affiliates plugin installation - but I have overwritten it with the seperate integration addon supplied - just in case) - but I still cannot see anything regarding affiliates under the membership subscription when I go to edit it.

I am not sure what else I can do.

• AltisonaMedia

I have just installed the Membership plugin and the Affiliates plugin on a different site with a WMPS install and the affiliates-membership integration is in place correctly.

There must be some issue with a plain old vanilla WP setup, or I am making some schoolboy error !

• AltisonaMedia

I have created an mu-plugins folder on my WP3.01 install and moved the membership and affiliate plugins into it and the affiliate-membership integration now works.

I don't think the integration works on a standard WP install in the standard plugin folder.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I don't think the integration works on a standard WP install in the standard plugin folder.

I developed it on a standard WP install and it works for me. So not sure what's going on. I still think it was a folder issue - but glad you got it working.

• idevguy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm experiencing the same thing. I have everything set up as per all of the posts above but it's still not working. I'd be happy to do the mu-plugins folder work-around but when I tried it, that didn't work either.

I'd love it if someone could help me find a solution so I can use the affiliate plugin. Thanks

• eborg9

I can hear the frustration and I understand.
    Simply, where is the affiliate sign up page?
    Once everything is installed, where are people supposed to sign up?
    If I can get that part figured out, I may be in business.

The installation say's "That's it!",but that's not it.

I too have installed it just as it says and there is no affiliate setting in the membership settings.
    There is no mention of Affiliate when you edit Membership levels.

Also, this (that you keep referring to) is not the way the folders are set up:
    wp-content/plugins/affiliatelite/plugins
    There is no "plug ins" folder there.
    It's
    wp-content/plugins/affiliate/affiliateincludes/plugins

When I install the Affiliate plug in into content/plugins and "network Activate it, there is nothing. No settings, nothing.
    When I install it and do a regular activate, the settings are there.
    Now, just using this plug in by itself, where is the user sign up page?

When I try the integration plug in, there is not integration. The Membership plugin settings look the same as before.

So I am confused as well.

• eborg9

Ah Ha! I see says the blind man.
    Here is where I was going wrong and I suspect you others are too.

1. The Membership has to be active. It is disabled by Default until you set it up and click the link that says:"The membership plugin version 1.0.5 is Disabled."

2. You have to create and make your subscriptions public AND make them active under "Edit Subscriptions". First you have to add them, and then you will see the affiliate settings.

Once you get those things set, you will see the settings that you/we have been looking for.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@eborg9 - glad you found it in the end, but i'll go through the post anyway in case anyone else comes along with the same problem:

Simply, where is the affiliate sign up page?
    Once everything is installed, where are people supposed to sign up?

Once they sign up as a user on the site - they go to wp-admin -> affiliate referrals. If you want to see in it operation then try it on this site https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin - you'll see the menu item under the profile - or see the instructions here https://premium.wpmudev.org/affiliates/

I too have installed it just as it says and there is no affiliate setting in the membership settings.
    There is no mention of Affiliate when you edit Membership levels.

It's under subscriptions not levels, when you edit a subscription you will see the extra part at the bottom of the form.

When I try the integration plug in, there is not integration. The Membership plugin settings look the same as before.

They will do, it's not in the settings.

When I install the Affiliate plug in into content/plugins and "network Activate it, there is nothing. No settings, nothing.
    When I install it and do a regular activate, the settings are there.

You should be activating on a single blog unless you want to accept clicks and affiliates from across the whole network - if you just want the main site to get clicks registered, or you want to allow other blog owners to run an affiliate system the local activation is the way to go.

• mikesansone
    • New Recruit

The links above don't work anymore (those from Nov 10). <strike>I'm going to uninstall the affiliate, member , and support and start over.</strike> Is there any documentation for the affiliate plugin except for the one that says no setup required (because it seems there is setup required).

I'm trying to create the membership site (easy), set the percentage or split or fixed amount [whatever you folks would call it], and get going. I've had a time. Any links pointing to current documentation would be grand.

UPDATE: I think I may have figured this out. Sorry to bother:slight_smile:

Love your stuff!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.