Affiliate plugin and purchase link

HI - I've implemented Affiliates on my page ... it tracks visitors per affiliate, but I can't figure out how to get it to track sales. All affiliate links are directed to http://members.websitebliss.com/16/
But when someone clicks on the 'purchase' link on that page, it's not recorded by the Affiliates plugin. How do I tell the Affiliates plugin what the purchase link is?? Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wellpreneur,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great question and indeed simply clicking on the purchase link will NOT trigger a commission, if that is the way you would want it to work even if the purchase was never completed - please let me know where this is at so that I can sign up right away :wink:

I will be clicking all day :smiley:

However, though I was just having a little fun there above which I hope you see it as that as well, from my understanding of the way it works the payment gateway upon receipt of payment will trigger the applicable commission to the relative affiliate preventing affiliate fraud.

Please run through a complete test and let me know if you can indeed confirm that it is working as I have described above.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• wellpreneur
    • New Recruit

I'm using PayPal as the payment gateway ... so there's no feedback loop into the affiliate plugin. With other systems I've tried, you have to provide a paypal developer identifier which is created after the person successfully purchases back to the plugin, so it can 'see' that the purchase was completed.

Is Affiliates intended to be used with some other gateway which manages affiliates (like ClickBank?)? If so, Idon't see the purpose of the Affiliates plugin? Help!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wellpreneur,

Thank you for your additional input and clearly your thinking at least regarding PayPal, IPN etc. is in error.

When the PayPal IPN comes back from PayPal to the plugin acknowledging the sale it will indeed trigger the commission.

Have you made a test purchase to confirm or deny what I am claiming?

Are your PayPal IPN settings set up and enabled?

What are you applying the affiliate plugin to? i.e. Market Press or?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wellpreneur
    • New Recruit

Hi, I'm clearly missing something.

Do you need the PayPal IPN setup to give feedback to Affiliates that a purchase has been made? If so, what is the URL I need to set as the PayPal IPN?

I'm not using Marketplace. Actually I'm using a different company's membership site (Premise) module, and just wanted to use Affiliates to track affiliate sales of the product.

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wellpreneur,

Absolutely you need the IPN from any gateway to register the purchase of any item providing feedback to whatever the eCommerce item is or the end users can rip you off blind especially when dealing with digital products or physical products unless you check the payment of every order.

To check which URL to use to get you started with one in there, check your PayPal IPN History (it is listed under history in your PayPal account) and it will tell you where it is trying to send the IPN to.

That is a URL you can use for the IPN URL.

Please advise that you have indeed got this figured out as anticipated.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wellpreneur,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.