Affiliate Plugin Clarification

Forgive me for bringing this up again, but I need someone to explain to me the designed function behind the affiliate links. In the Affiliate Referral Report under the Affiliate Details section, users are provided with either one or two links (the second if they fill out the advanced info). The instructions tell the user "In order for us to track your referrals, you should use the following URL to link to our site:" and provides them a link that is based on their domain in the system. This link, however, doesn't link to "our" site, it links back to their site.

Additionally, if they fill out the advanced settings, the instructions read "Alternatively you can just link directly to the URL below from the site you entered in the advanced settings above:" However, the URL below is the same as the URL above. In essence, they're linking back to their own blogs instead of to the main blog so that we can convert clicks to blogs to supporters.

Have I messed the settings up somewhere or is this the way it is supposed to function? I'm referring to the linking back to their blogs instead of to the main site.