Affiliate plugin - Configuration!

Hi!
Is there any documentation to configure Affiliate Plugin?
Thanks;

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

The only gateway currently supported is Paypal and it's done through MassPay.

You go to:

Admin --> Affiliates --> Affiliate Reports

You then have a button to export and mark as paid.

You can then process the MassPay file you exported through Paypal so everyone is paid.

Usually you wouldn't process affiliate payments until some 60 days later, this helps you to counter chargebacks and disputes on any payments.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

It's a WordPress plugin so it uses your WordPress members, they signup to WordPress they are an affiliate.

You could create custom pages if you wish detailing your affiliate program.

Where do you need a link to?

You activate it, and then activate the modules for the plugin you wish to allow your members to get affiliates payments from. Membership, MarketPress, Directory or Pro Sites.

If for example you use MarketPress, then in the settings of MarketPress you can set the affiliate rate.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

I can't give affiliates or visitor to my site information I Do No Know.

You don't know what you'll be paying your affiliates?

I think maybe you need to sit down then and write a business plan.

Once you know what information you want to give your affiliates and visitors regarding your program the rest is easy.

They register to your WordPress site just like they do on any WordPress site and they then have an account with you.

They can then log in and go to:

Admin --> Users --> Affiliate Referrals

/wp-admin/users.php?page=affiliateearnings

They can enable their links there, enter their email address, see their referrals, banner link, etc.

And banners if you enabled are:

Admin --> Users --> Affiliate Banners

For you, the settings is under:

Admin --> Affiliates

If have any further questions then please just keep asking, I'm here to help.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

I guess I'm not sure what you need help with. The plugin in general is a real simple one.

All options for the plugin are under (this use to be under the dashboard):

Admin --> Affiliates

Affiliate links and stats are found in their own profile under:

Admin --> Users --> Affiliate Referrals

Admin --> Users --> Affiliate Banners

You can also use shortcodes:

Shortcodes

Besides full access to the Affiliates Plugin features in the Admin Panel, you can use any of the following shortcodes within your posts or pages to provide front-end access as well.

[affiliatelogincheck] – place this at the top of the page that you are planning on using the rest of the shortcodes on and it will display a login message if the user isn’t logged in.
    [affiliateuserdetails] – mirrors the affiliate details form from the admin area (yellow box)
    [affiliatestatstable] – mirrors the large click statistics table
    [affiliatevisitstable] – mirrors the referrers this month table
    [affiliatetopvisitstable] – mirrors the top referrers table
    [affiliatestatschart] – mirrors the main statistics charts
    [affiliatevisitschart] – mirrors the referrers charts
    [affiliatebanners] – displays the banners you add to your affiliate settings

If the user isn’t logged in then none of the shortcodes will output anything (except for the top one).

If you're using any of these:

MarketPress
    Directory
    Membership
    Pro Sites

Then you can go to:

Admin --> Affiliates --> Add-ons

And then activate those modules so you can use affiliates to track stats and earnings. Depends on the plugin as to where the payout is defined for example Pro Sites is under:

Admin --> Affiliates --> Affiliate Settings

MarketPress is:

Admin --> Products --> Store Settings

To generate a masspay file you go to:

Admin --> Affiliates

Select the month and then export payments. Go take that to Paypal to process the affiliates pay and don't forget to mark as paid once done to ensure you don't pay them again.

If there is something specific you're struggling with then please detail what it is so that I may assist further.

Take care.

• phillcoxon

Tim - just as an update from a new user perspective - the documentation for the Affiliate plugin is very lacking.

While it details how to enable the plugin and set it up in the Network Admin, it doesn't actually say anywhere that users then have to go back into the Membership, Directory, MarketPress settings to add affiliate commission levels on products there.

Sure, the usage guide mentions activating the add-ons for these plugins, but it doesn't actually say "Now go to the Membership settings and add affiliate commissions in the settings screen..."

For a new user the expectation would be that all products, prices, affiliate banners etc would be set up within the Affiliate plugin itself.

So it would be great to have the documentation expanded a little to more clear and provide an example or two of setting up an affiliate commission product in one of the other plugins, along with a banner etc.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Phil.

It does indeed seem this is lacking, we had a drive to update a fair few of our docs (Membership got a 70+ page manual out of it) it seems somethings still need improvement.

We had a huge influx of new members over the last few months, to counter that we have set on more staff and we do plan to get back to documents now it's all settling back down.

As I mentioned above though, if anyone has any specific questions then we can answer those within the community.

I know @Kimberly Lipari is working hard to update many of them and so I've pinged her on this one.

Thanks.

• JayCG

I agree , the problem i find with many of these plugins is that the documentation is lacking. You would avoid a huge mount of work and questions if you wrote a PDF document that comes with each plugin. I have bought affiliates , I am new to affiliate programs and am totally lost , I am spending hours going through questions asked but people hoping to get the answers I need but so far nothing.

I agree with phillcoxon - ou need a better way of giving your clients the manuals needed for each plugin.

I have not installed the affiliate plugin , I did not realize that I had to activate other add_ons to get this working.

I have membership add-on activaed but I have not idea what this is doing ?

I can see that my members can select to be part of the affiliate program and all of that is working fine , but I dont see anywhere where I can set a price for each purchase of a produc made from an affiliate site can be set ?

There needs to be a step by step user guide , surely by now you know the common issues people have and are able to address this all in one guide ?

Step one Installing Plugin - full step by step for this
    Step two how people sign up to the affiliate program- full step by step for this

Step three how to add amounts / commission prices to my affiliates by membeship by product sales - full step by step for this

etc etc

• terjeset

The plugin is very simple. And that is why the wpmu guys dont understand why we ask these basic questions.

At the same time, it's quite complex. Installing the plugin was straight forward. Not sure how it works though.

I am far away from exposing it to my customers. So far I have this done:
    1 - created a page with information about my affilate offer
    2 - the page contains a link for the new user to register
    3 - I've created several images for the affiliate to display on his page

Now I wonder how I can change the new user from a user to an affiliate.

I am using WooCommerce as the foundation for my webshop. And the next big step is to understand how I will integrate it.

• Timothy Bowers

I agree , the problem i find with many of these plugins is that the documentation is lacking. You would avoid a huge mount of work and questions if you wrote a PDF document that comes with each plugin.

You'd be surprised, we've had PDF documents like this for the Membership plugin, and we still get the same questions.

Full Usage page instructions on Domain Mapping still the same questions even though they're clearly answered.

But this isn't any acceptable excuse because you're right!!

Whether your like me who loves to just play and figure it out (quickest way for me) like I did when I wrote the original Membership manual (first time I'd every used it as well) or whether your someone that prefers to read first, there should be a manual!

I couldn't agree with you more on that, and we've now set up (around a month or two ago) a document team who are painfully going through updating things. As new plugins are released we've automated the process of sending them the change logs to ensure things are updated much more quickly. Previously we had drives to improve things, but now I believe we've got a better process that will improve things ongoing and not just every few months.

This will however take time to fix up on everything. Our more popular plugins will be tackled with more urgency.

If you do have any usage issues and need support then please feel free to open a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

And our team will be able to assist.

Take care and have a great day!