Affiliateplugin - Change referer

Is it possible to change the referer?
For example if someone didnt use a referral link??

Is it possible to work with a offline referral code?
ex: Printed on a business card, and when a user registers at our site he needs to type in that code to place itself under the referer. Otherwise it'll be a direct lead from the administrator.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Emiel,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Is it possible to change the referer?
    For example if someone didnt use a referral link??

That isn't currently possible out of the box, for a referrer to be set, they must come form a Affiliate link.

Is it possible to work with a offline referral code?
    ex: Printed on a business card, and when a user registers at our site he needs to type in that code to place itself under the referer. Otherwise it'll be a direct lead from the administrator.

I'm afraid this also isn't currently possible, it would need to be a affiliate link still, though I have added both of these things to the feature requests for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Paul

@Emiel,

Thought I would jump in here @Jack.

Is it possible to have a e-mail sent to the admin when a new affiliate has been registered?

With the current version of Affiliate no. But we are looking at including that with a soon to be released rewrite of the plugin. similarly the signup option to allow the user to join the affiliate program directly via the WP signup.

As for the 'Is it possible to work with a offline referral code?' question I have some reservations about that. and I was actually discussing this a few weeks ago with a member here and he decided to not renew his monthly. He wanted a similar option on the WP signup (actually the Membership signup) where the user can enter the affiliate code directly. The problem is if the user had arrived via a valid affiliate link you don't want to allow the user to change the affiliate reference via the signup code? At least not in my thinking.

I noticed that on my test installation.
    That the new users I signed up with the referral link di;dnt get placed underneath a affiliate. So would like to have the option to manually correct.

You need to make sure when you are following a click link you are not already signed into WP. The Affiliate plugin is very specific in its logic to not capture affiliate referrals if there is the WP cookie. This prevents affiliate from seeding their own accounts. Also you want to have the affiliate link on a different site than the WP system where you host the affiliate plugin.

In the Affiliate > Addons, enable the DEBUG add-on. Then when you click on the affiliate link to arrive at your site it will show if the affiliate reference was properly recorded. But keep this off for production sites.

• Emiel

With the current version of Affiliate no. But we are looking at including that with a soon to be released rewrite of the plugin.

IS there a temp workaround for this?
    B'cause its critical for my operations.
    I also have the membership plugin installed.
    Is a workaround possible with that combination??

The problem is if the user had arrived via a valid affiliate link you don't want to allow the user to change the affiliate reference via the signup code? At least not in my thinking.

Well this defers, Some affiliate programs like telexfree allow it.
    Other programs would like to cloak the referral plugins. at all.
    Maybe as an option?

On my site I would like to have a social login plugin on the front end with viral social marketing capabilitys. Link the UserPro plugin.
    Does the affiliate and membership plugin allow the usage of a 3rd part registration/login form?

• Paul

@Emiel

IS there a temp workaround for this?
    B'cause its critical for my operations.
    I also have the membership plugin installed.
    Is a workaround possible with that combination??

If there were a work around then it would be part of the actual plugin. So no. Sorry.

Well this defers, Some affiliate programs like telexfree allow it.
    Other programs would like to cloak the referral plugins. at all.
    Maybe as an option?

Will mark this as a feature for a future version. My thought is this.

1. If the user arrives at the site via a valid affiliate link. A link which contained a valid ref=xxxxx-12345 and is accepted then the user will have the affiliate cookie pre-set. So when they then go to the user registration form, either WordPress or Membership, the affiliate input field would not show.

2. If the user first goes to the user registration form, either WordPress or Membership, and does not already have an associated cookie from a valid affiliate link then the affiliate init field will be shown.

And again this would be added to the upcoming rewrite version which is still some weeks away.

Does the affiliate and membership plugin allow the usage of a 3rd part registration/login form?

The affiliate plugins does not directory provide a user registration form. It just hooks into the default WordPress user registration form. Optionally, if you have Membership installed then you know the Membership plugins provides its own user registration form. When some one registers on your site the Affiliate hooks into the WordPress action for a new user registration. At that point the new user ID is associated permanently with the affiliate user.

• Emiel

1. If the user arrives at the site via a valid affiliate link. A link which contained a valid ref=xxxxx-12345 and is accepted then the user will have the affiliate cookie pre-set. So when they then go to the user registration form, either WordPress or Membership, the affiliate input field would not show.

2. If the user first goes to the user registration form, either WordPress or Membership, and does not already have an associated cookie from a valid affiliate link then the affiliate init field will be shown.

Well in my situation, If the referer is blank. Then I would like to have it tied to the administrator.
    What i've seen from the referral industry.
    Sometimes you visit a site trough a referrer and do'nt join.
    When someone else introduces you. You might want to have the 2nd person as your upline.
    In that way, you would like to have a notice who your referrer is.
    But if you want to have person 2 as your upline, you want to change the referral code in the registration form.

• Paul

@Emiel,

First thanks for keeping this thread going. It helps me at least understand how some members think in terms of affiliates.

Well in my situation, If the referer is blank. Then I would like to have it tied to the administrator.

So that would be #3. If the user has arrive not via an valid referrer link and goes to the user register form and does not fill in the affiliate code but registers anyway then they are orphaned affiliates. Not really tied to a tier 2 user. By default yes they could be associated with the admin. But then again it is assumed the admin is the owner of the site and the owner would not be paying themselves. Then again what if there are multiple 'owners/admin'. Maybe there could be a way to allow reassignment of a user to their 2nd tier affiliate.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.