[Affiliates] AffiliateWP

I am using the Affiliates Plugin for affiliate management inwards to our products on our WPMU network.
I want to offer clients the opportunity to run an affiliate system for their products created using MarketPress, CoursePress and Membership Pro.
Is AffiliateWP a good fit for this?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Phil

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You have assigned this ticket to our "Affiliates" plugin but you also mentioned AffliateWP which is a different tool. However, currently MarketPress, CoursePress and Membership 2 Pro do not provide any "affiliate integrations" so none of those would work with them.

If it comes to providing affiliate program/benefits for product selling and for selling CoursePress course, I'd rather go for WooCommerce, which can be integrated with AffliateWP. As CoursePress can also use WooCommerce (integrate so paid courses are sold through WooCommerce) that would let you you setup an affiliate program.

For Membership 2 Pro, it would integrate with our own Affiliates plugin but it'd mean that you'd have to run two separate affiliate tools on site, which, I believe might be a bit too much of a complication. Membership 2 Pro could be integrated with some other Affiliate plugins/tools as it includes API but that would require quite a bit of custom development.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Phil

I think I owe you additional explanation as I probably wasn't quite clear on this.

The problem is:

None of our plugins have integration with any 3rd-party affiliate plugin (such as e.g. AffiliatesWP) so there's no way to use it with MarketPress, Membership 2 and CoursePress. A workaround is to use WooCommerce instead of MarketPress to sell courses and use some plugin (like AffiliatesWP) that does integrate with WooCommerce.

However, such plugin wouldn't integrate with Membership 2 Pro. Our own Affiliates plugin does but, at the site time, it doesn't work with WooCommerce (and MarketPress too) and CoursePress.

To sum it up: if you want to give users a chance to earn commission for products and courses and memberships sold on your site you would need to use WooCommerce instead of MarketPress and use two separate affiliate plugins at once. Furthermore, those affiliate plugins wouldn't be integrated with each other so that makes it even a bit more complex. This is what I meant by "running two affiliate plugins" - not "two instances of one affiliate plugin". That should be doable though I admit I've never seen such setup "in action" before.

However, I got additional question: you mentioned that you'd like to give your Clients an opportunity to earn commission from the products and courses that they create on the site. Could you please describe with some more details how you would want that entire setup to work? I'm thinking that there might be some other way around but I'd need to know exactly what a client could do, what they should "get" and what would be an example "user workflow". Would you share that with me please? I'll see if I can come up with a better solution then.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Phil

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the explanation, most appreciated.
    I would prefer just to keep to your plugins if possible.
    Please note WP Affiliate have Market Press listed as integrated and include a link to your website.

The scenario I am looking to create is as follows:

Offer managed WP hosting through WPMU using Prosites & Domain Mapping and offering levels depending on functionality delivered by WPMU plugins and DIVI visual builder.

The key elements for this niche is clients are able to offer 1) Courses 2) Memberships 3) Event Bookings on a single platform
    Clients would be able to accept affiliates who promote their courses/memberships/events

And we would offer all users the ability to refer business for a commission.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Phil

I apologize for the delay with my response!

I was slightly confused about your initial question because you assigned this ticket to our Affiliates plugin but you kept referring to it as WP Affiliate or AffiliateWP and that made me think of the AffiliateWP plugin which is a different, 3rd-party plugin. I'm sorry for confusion.

However, I owe you additional explanation.

You're right and it's stated clearly in the plugin description that our Affiliates plugin does integrate with MarketPress, Membership 2 Pro and Pro Sites. Unfortunately, there's been a bug that didn't have a fix that caused it to not work fine with the first two of them. That's why I suggested solution including WooCommerce and additional affliate-type plugin.

I have consulted this with our developers meanwhile and it seems that the fix for Affiliates that would make it work fine with those two plugins again is being worked on. There's already a beta version that's tested but it still requires some additional adjustments so they're looking into it.

That being said, once the update to our Affiliates is released, you will be able to use it to provide affiliate commission for your users/clients for all purchases made by their referrals via MarketPress (and that would include paid CoursePress courses as CoursePress integrates with MarketPress well) and Membership 2 Pro membership subscriptions. I can confirm that it's on the table and the initial beta version is being tested but it's not ready to be published yet and I'm afraid I'm not able to give you an ETA on the release.

However, there's one more thing that I'd like to ask for clarification:

Clients would be able to accept affiliates who promote their courses/memberships/events
    And we would offer all users the ability to refer business for a commission.

Do I correctly understand that:

1. a business client comes to your site and creates own site on your Multisite, that includes their own CoursePress instance so they could create their own courses, their own Membership and their own Events booking tools

2. They can run their own affiliate program to reward their affiliates on their own terms

3. on top of it you - as a network owner - run an affiliate program that reward any user of any site of the network (assuming they joined the program) for referring business clients who sign up for their own sites?

I'm asking because that's a bit more complex scenario and if I understood that correctly, the update won't help here and it might actually require quite a bit of custom coding, so I need to make sure that we're on the same side here.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Phil

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message, apologies if I was not too clear! I will attempt to clarify further (but we are getting there!)

1. I did mention AffiliateWP in the original post as was under the impression that MarketPlace was integrated with AffiliateWP as it says so on their website:
    https://affiliatewp.com/integrations/marketpress/

2. The scenario you outlined is what I am aiming for, as below, thank you for clarifying:

1. a business client comes to your site and creates own site on your Multisite, that includes their own CoursePress instance so they could create their own courses, their own Membership and their own Events booking tools

2. They can run their own affiliate program to reward their affiliates on their own terms

3. on top of it you - as a network owner - run an affiliate program that rewards any user of any site of the network (assuming they joined the program) for referring business clients who sign up for their own sites?

I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks again for your time with this,

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Phil

1. I did mention AffiliateWP in the original post as was under the impression that MarketPlace was integrated with AffiliateWP as it says so on their website:
    https://affiliatewp.com/integrations/marketpress/

Hm, you got me there. I must say I wasn't aware of that integration. It certainly is not our plugin and not our integration so they must have created it on their own. I never tested it and to be honest I'm hearing about it for the first time now from you. I've never tested it (and I didn't hear about any of my colleagues here testing it) so I really can't say much more about it - whether it works fine or not and what excatly can it do :slight_frown: Furthermore, AffliateWP is a 3rd-party premium plugin so I don't even have access to it to test it.

2. The scenario you outlined is what I am aiming for, as below, thank you for clarifying: [...]

Thanks for confirmation. I really can't say how AffiliateWP would work in that case but the issue with our own Affiliate in such scenario is that the plugin can work either network-enabled or "per site" enabled but to run affiliate scheme for signups for the new sites (so users get rewarded for clients creating their sites) it would have to be network-enabled.

Basically, you'd want to use Pro Sites for client signups - so they would pay for site creation - and our Affiliates plugin would integrate with it when network-enabled. But then it couldn't be "per site" enabled which means that your Clients wouldn't be able to run their own affiliate programs with it. Or the opposite - "per site" enabled and they can run their programs but you can't run yours for site signup.

That, I'm afraid, is kind of a "conflict" that's not easily solvable and brings us back to either using two separate affliate solutions - one for the clients and one for you - or to quite a bit of a custom development.

That said, I took another look at the options. I think that it could be possible also to do it this way:

- use Gravity Forms with additional extensions + AffiliateWP + its GF integration + additional AffiliateWP "signup referrals" add on for Client registration on site

- use our Affiliates plugin for those "clients affiliate programs" (of course after our plugin gets updated)

But again, this means additional costs (as required GF version and necessary extensions are premium ones) and it's not been tested that way. Taking that into account, I think that after all it will still need as significant amount of custom development and in the end it might turn out that developing entirely dedicated, "made to measure", solution for this could probably be less costly and more stable in a long run.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Phil

Adam,

Would another potential solution be as follows:

1. Use two MU installations, with (a) Providing for 1&3 in the scenario and (b) where a client wishes to use the Affiliate Plugin (item 2 in the scenario), clone site from A and install on B which is an MU that is not using Affiliate network enabled and hosted on your new hosting environment of course :slight_smile:

Ok, its running two MU's rather than 1, but perhaps more elegant? I would be interested to hear your opinion and more downsides I may have missed.

Phil

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Phil

I think that your Affiliate Plugin is so easy to use that it is a shame not to be able to give it to clients and use it with Pro-Sites.

It can be used with Pro Sites. The problem is: you cannot use it with Pro Sites (network activated) to offer an affiliate payments to people who refer new clients that will sign up for new sites and at the same time use it as a per-site activated plugin so your clients (owners of sites on your Multisite) could run their own, separate affiliate programs. It's either one or another.

1. Use two MU installations, with (a) Providing for 1&3 in the scenario and (b) where a client wishes to use the Affiliate Plugin (item 2 in the scenario), clone site from A and install on B which is an MU that is not using Affiliate network enabled and hosted on your new hosting environment of course

No, not really in my opinion. That would be much more complication that it seems. To be perfectly honest, I think I'm kind of "out of ideas". What you're trying to achieve is a perfectly reasonable setup, I think, but it just doesn't seem to be achievable with these tools and I'm just not aware (well, I don't know all the existing plugins I'm afraid - though I would really love to!) of 3rd-party solution that could serve such purpose out of the box, without any additional coding/customization.

I'm not saying that there are none, just I don't know them :slight_frown:

I'm thinking that maybe it might be worth to ask that question again on our Members forum? There's a lot of Members here who tried tons of various things and worked with various plugins. They run or work for/with different businesses so there's a good chance that somebody may actually know or even have ready to share/use solution for you :slight_smile:

You could start a new Members' discussion about it here (just use the "Start discussion" button there):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/members

I think it might be worth a shot :wink:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.