Affiliates & MarketPress integration - Paying on Generated Sales.

I see that the Affiliated and MarketPress plugins supposedly work together... anything beyond using marketpress to sign up new memberships?

I have a site that is selling 10k units and they needs to track affiliate sales of the products that are sold. If this is possible, I cannot find how to get it to happen. Everyting in Affiliates seems to be focused on member sign ups, which is used way less than product sign ups in my experience. All of the Affiliate programs on the market are primarily focused on Affiliate sales of products.

Thank you!

• Stacy

Since I am currently researching how this works, I can share how to get you started. You have to have Marketpress installed and activated on the site, as well as Affiliates. Then you have to go to Affiliates tab, and click on "add-ons" where you can activate the add on for Marketpress. After you do that, you go back into Marketpress and click on store settings then the payments tab and you can set a percentage to be paid as a commission.

It is my understanding that this percentage applies to ALL products and you cannot specify a different amount either per product basis or by affiliate. All affiliates get x% of all products. This is a huge problem for my business model. If there's a way to do it differently I haven't found any reference to it.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Development Design,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Please see the good answer provided by @Stacy in the previous reply and let me know if you have any issue / doubts in it.

There is already a feature request in the following thread for setting percentage of commission on per product basis in stead of applying it on all products, this feature may be added in future version of plugin but We don't publish ETAs to prevent disappointment if a deadline is missed(which in plugin development quite a frequent occurrence!).

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/affiliate-commission-on-marketpress-per-product-line

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Paul

@Stacy,

I'm curious about your comment...

All affiliates get x% of all products. This is a huge problem for my business model. If there's a way to do it differently I haven't found any reference to it.

I agree there needs to be more options for the MarketPress <--> Affiliate integration. I'm current working on a rewrite of the Affiliate plugins and two features are 1) Affiliate user levels and 2) Affiliate tiers.

With Affiliate user levels you can set an individual user to be set into a level where it will effect their commission rates. For example you may have a default user level where the default rate for a MarketPress sale is 0.5% or a flat $0.50 per sale. You may have another level with a different set of rates.

With Affiliate set tiers you can do sort of a Multi-level commission. Tier 1 is the main affiliate associated with the referrer purchaser. Tier 2 is the parent who originally referrer the main affiliate. etc. You can define as many user levels and tiers are you needs.

Then within the individual add ons you will see more of a grid of commissions. See image. This grid is the Affiliate User levels and user tiers. You would have the same option on the individual product. On the products however this would be commission added to the overall order commission.

We are also adding order cancel logic so if a user cancels an order within a certain threshold of days the affiliate commissions are reversed.

So my question back to you is what else can be done for the Affiliate <--> MarketPress integration?

I thought about maybe some date/time based special commissions. Maybe you want to run a sale on a product for a day. Be able to define a date/time range where the commission would be an override.

Would love to have your thought so we can make this a premiere plugin.

• Stacy

I actually went through this explanation with a friend just last night. I like what you're doing with the users/affiliates. What I'm looking for isn't really a hierarchical tier basis (for my business, but plenty would, so it's a good feature) but rather just different levels. "Super" Affiliates refer lots of business so they get a larger % than the guy just starting out that has one or two sales/month. It looks like the levels you are suggesting will accomplish that.

The biggest thing I see missing, is the per product flexibility. Say I have product A - which is my lead in product, I want commissions on that to be high - 75%. I have another product B, which is my bread and butter so to speak, and my margins aren't as good as product A, so I want the commission to be 25%. And finally product C - is a bugger, I have to sell it basically at cost. I have to offer it in my store, BUT, I can't pay any commissions on it.

However, now we still have to reward our Super Affiliates with a higher percentage of the percentage, so either we have to set multiple levels within the product pages, or we have to set an add to the base that is dependent on the Affiliate ID.

I would also hope to see it set up in a way where you could define a user profile and a product profile in order to minimize the manual entry for every user and every product. My solutions are geared to people that aren't "tech-savvy" and the easier it is out of the box, the less I have to modify the UI.

I really like the automatic cancelled order fee reversal, and would like to see an option where you can choose when the affiliate is paid - like 30 - 60 days out, instead of real time or manual (and pardon if this is currently in the plug-in, I haven't done a full thorough test of it).

The ability to set time limits (date/time sales) is an add-on, it wouldn't be a deal breaker NOT to have it, but the product level commissions is HUGE.

Hopefully that's clear. If you need any further clarification or insight, let me know. I'm happy to see that this is being addressed, I hope it's done soon so I don't have to write my own.

Cheers!
    Stacy

• Paul

@Stacy,

Thanks for the excellent details. Here are some followup comments to yours.

The biggest thing I see missing, is the per product flexibility. Say I have product A - which is my lead in product, I want commissions on that to be high - 75%. I have another product B, which is my bread and butter so to speak, and my margins aren't as good as product A, so I want the commission to be 25%. And finally product C - is a bugger, I have to sell it basically at cost. I have to offer it in my store, BUT, I can't pay any commissions on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does the new design grid for the per product commissions per the image I provided not solve this issue?

However, now we still have to reward our Super Affiliates with a higher percentage of the percentage, so either we have to set multiple levels within the product pages, or we have to set an add to the base that is dependent on the Affiliate ID.

This should be satisfied be the Affiliate User Level. you can set some users as 'Super Affiliate' level and within the grid would be able to define the higher commission.

I would also hope to see it set up in a way where you could define a user profile and a product profile in order to minimize the manual entry for every user and every product. My solutions are geared to people that aren't "tech-savvy" and the easier it is out of the box, the less I have to modify the UI.

I agree. The UI for the grid can become unmanageable even for a single product. Thus marking the plugin less effective because the novice user just will be overwhelmed. But I'm not sure I follow your though on 'user profile' vs 'product profile'. If you could provide some elaboration. I guess my first though is the 'user profile' would be the same as the user level. Where each user is assigned to some affiliate user level as the basis for the commission calculations. I could be wrong.

...and would like to see an option where you can choose when the affiliate is paid - like 30 - 60 days out, instead of real time or manual (and pardon if this is currently in the plug-in, I haven't done a full thorough test of it).

Sadly there are not many options for automating the affiliate payment. But I see what you are saying. I know we have the same requests related to the Affiliate <--> Membership and/or Pro Sites. Technically with the Affiliate plugin the commission is recorded within the system when the sales transaction is considered complete. But that is only the record of the commission. The admin still needs to manually pay out the affiliate. For this the current method is rather manual. And for the moment looks to remain that way.

The ability to set time limits (date/time sales) is an add-on, it wouldn't be a deal breaker NOT to have it, but the product level commissions is HUGE.

Yeah, this is just from taking input from other members. We try and consider all the perspectives. Though one member wanted some deep logic to pay different commissions based on number of orders. So order# 1-3 would be one commission. order# 3-5 would be another. Then on an one. Will probably add this at some point as I can see a very narrow use for this. But again my concern is the UI and trying not to confuse the general user.

Hopefully that's clear. If you need any further clarification or insight, let me know. I'm happy to see that this is being addressed, I hope it's done soon so I don't have to write my own.

I'm hoping to release a beta toward the end of this month. Will keep you posted.

• Stacy

Ah... I missed this in your initial post.

You would have the same option on the individual product. On the products however this would be commission added to the overall order commission.

Also, with regard to referencing profiles... Say you have two main types of users - you could set up profiles for Affiliate A and Affiliate B. When you are adding new users, you could check a box that says use profile A or profile B instead of having to enter all the settings manually for each user. The same for products. And perhaps that is how you are designing it, with the levels to be predefined and then assigned at the point of user/product entry. I personally prefer the term profile to levels if we are referring to them as unrelated states. (level III is not inclusive of level I & II) etc.

I would really love to see something happen with Pro Sites (and I've seen a ton of comments for this as well) where the plugins and themes can be offered as individual/menu type items instead of the all inclusive hierarchy.

There's your next project... oh and BTW - make all that work with the Affiliate Plugin too :wink:

Thanks for the clarification!

• Paul

Say you have two main types of users - you could set up profiles for Affiliate A and Affiliate B. When you are adding new users, you could check a box that says use profile A or profile B instead of having to enter all the settings manually for each user.

Yes, this is the same as the Affiliate User Level concept I've covered in my previous replies in this thread. We don't use profile for fear it will confuse user with their WP profile.

I agree it would be good to have product levels. So to follow what you are saying instead of needing to update a dozen products you just set them to a product level then there is a central place to control the commissions for that product level. I like it. Will see what I can come up with.

I would really love to see something happen with Pro Sites (and I've seen a ton of comments for this as well) where the plugins and themes can be offered as individual/menu type items instead of the all inclusive hierarchy.

Can't really help with Pro Sites. Though as it relates to Affiliate if you are running a Multisite system with Pro Sites you can setup commission tiers based on the site's subscription level. So an individual site would pay a small percentage of overall income to the referring affiliate. MLM style.

• Stacy

Paul,

I just remembered one more thing... (and as always, correct me if I'm mistakenly informed) Can you add making the plugin site specific instead of global? My current client base will likely have some overlapping customer base. I would hate to have Store owner A incur a referral fee for a customer that was referred to Store owner C's store, but happened to purchase something from Store A in a completely unrelated (by chance) visit.

Now that I'm thinking through this, is that even possible? I had asked this question previously and the answer I received was that it was a possibility because of the "global" nature of the plugin. However, (assuming) IF the affiliate id is associated with a particular store, wouldn't that negate the validity of the transaction to be eligible for a commission if the purchase was made on the network but in a different store?

• SD2k

Great discussion thread, I read through everything and I'm excited to hear all of this and it has sparked some questions...

If I install the Affiliates system now in order to ensure we have an accurate hierarchy order from the launch of new site. Will the upgrades you're working on be able to track or automatically update the hierarchy if we were to want commissions to go out say four (4) levels deep? Now I wouldn't want to re-calculate commissions backwards but it seems to me you could possibly build or rebuild the associations based on existing data and automatically populate the new 'down-line' (so to say) - Thoughts?

Second question... Will this work with WooCommerce? I kinda hope so because we have made a significant investment into that structure and if It doesn't or won't I need to know now so we don't waist anymore resources on it

Thanks for everything and I love it when simple things like this can get me so excited :slight_smile:

• Paul

@Stacy,

Now that I'm thinking through this, is that even possible?

In the new version I've removed the somewhat twisted logic of how affiliate handles Multisite. In the current version if you enable affiliate at the Network then the tracking it global. Works for some not for all. Also in the current version if enable at the site level you can allow each site to have its own affiliate program. Problem is you can't do a hierarchy.

So in the new version I've made it so the network is the control. At that level you will have a setting to enable sub-sites to run their own affiliate program. You will also be able to setup levels like within Pro Sites where you can control which levels can have their own affiliate program. See image for the new 'Network' tab setting where you can control sub-sites. Still not finished.

Once the sub-site is enabled the site admin can set an option to control which users are allowed to use their affiliate system. The options would be 1) local users only. 2) any user who has access to the site. 3) Any network user.

At the moment I've not work out the commission logic. Consider this. Assume you have AffiliateA and UserA. UserA follows a link on a remote site and arrives at your network. At that point the plugin will set a cookie to the browser of UserA to indicate the association with AffiliateA. Next, UserA registers to be a user within your network. This then creates a permanent relationship between AffiliateA and UserA. . Then UserA designs they want their own site within your network. When the site is created as part of the site metadata there is a reference this site is associate with AffiliateA. Then the last step is when UserA also becomes an affiliate thus becoming AffiliateB.

So my issue or question is how should the tiers be calculated at the site level? AffiliateB/UserA is the site admin. They will get the overall value from any recruits they bring in. But you, the owner of the network should also see some reward. Then what about Affiliate A. They were the one who brought in AffiliateB/UserA to the network. They should also get some piece of cheese.

• Paul

@sdinvestor2k,

Will the upgrades you're working on be able to track or automatically update the hierarchy if we were to want commissions to go out say four (4) levels deep?

Yes, there is a setting within the site where you can control exactly how many tiers you want to have. My concern is really how many levels the width of the screen can support. And yes you can have different User Levels and User Tiers per each site. Same with each site's related commissions with add ons like Membership, MarketPress, etc.

Now I wouldn't want to re-calculate commissions backwards but it seems to me you could possibly build or rebuild the associations based on existing data and automatically populate the new 'down-line' (so to say) - Thoughts?

Correct. Technically the hierarchy exists in the site already. You have AffiliateD who is associated via usermeta with AffiliateC (parent). AffiliateC has a parent, AffiliateB (grandparent). AffiliateB has parent AffiliateA (great grandparent).

Second question... Will this work with WooCommerce? I kinda hope so because we have made a significant investment into that structure and if It doesn't or won't I need to know now so we don't waist anymore resources on it

At the moment it does not but we do plan on doing a details add-on to integrate with WooCommerce. We have had too many requests to leave t out. But my first priority is integration with out plugins. We will also be integrating with BuddyPress. So for example if the site is running BuddyPress when UserA signs up the association between AffiliateA and UserA can be automatically setup in BP Friends. This lets AffiliateA sett all their friends.

• SD2k

Yes, there is a setting within the site where you can control exactly how many tiers you want to have. My concern is really how many levels the width of the screen can support.

Personally, no more than four deep. So Primary + Four for a total of 5 layers.
    I also really like the idea of affiliate levels but that seems like a lot of brain power trying to figure out how to use it in a way that wouldn't confuse the whole process for the end user :slight_smile:
    I look forward to seeing that.

At the moment it does not but we do plan on doing a details add-on to integrate with WooCommerce.

Have you seen this and if so, what are your thoughts?
    http://www.pluginjunction.com/shop/wordpress/woocommerce-membership-bridge/

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.