Affiliates plugin doesn't seem to track clicks or sales

I have Affiliates plugin set up. I used a test account to activate affiliate links and test the plugin to make sure it's working as expected.

The affiliate link generated forwards to the landing page as expected. But when I check my reports, it still says no activity.

Is there a delay in this reporting that takes several hours to update? Or is something else going on?

I also do not see a way this plugin is going to track sales. I don't see anywhere in this plugin to enter any product-related information. I see how affiliates can activate an account and get an affiliate link, but how can the plugin know what people have bought and how much I owe affiliates without product and commission-related information?

I feel like I'm missing something, and I don't see any documentation that addresses any of this. Any insight is much appreciated.

• christian

I've seen in other threads that Affiliates is meant to be integrated with add-ons like Marketplace or others. OK I'm fine with that. But what add on do I need? I'm a little confused as to why there doesn't appear to be any documentation on any of this.

Basically, I just need a way of tracking sales, so I can pay affiliates reliably. I need to be able to generate a tracking link, and when referred customers purchase one of a few different products we sell, I need the sale to be generated and recorded in the affiliate's dashboard. That way I can check my dashboard and see who referred how many sales, what specific products they sold and pay them accordingly.

I was under the impression the Affiliate plugin does this. But evidently I need to add other plugins to the mix too? Can I get a recommendation on this? Is it possible to get pointed in the direction of some documentation on getting this up and running?

Thanks in advance!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @christian,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Affiliates would need to be integrated with another plugin, as your selling products I would recommend our MarketPress plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/

Then there's a MarketPress in Affiliates > add-ons, once you activate that, you can define a percentage to payout to the affiliate in products > settings > payments.

Then when a user gets directed to the site by a affiliate link and they purchase a item, your affiliate will receive commission to their account, which you can then pay using the paypal mass file in affiliates, download that file and upload to PayPal, if that makes sense?

So the payment isn't automatic with a cash value, rather their affiliate account gets credited with you.

We're currently working on new documentation for Affiliates, I'm here to help with any questions you may have :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• christian

Thank you Jack. I appreciate your response very much. I'm cool to install Marketplace also.

Just to confirm, if I install and configure Marketplace, I'll be able to do the following:

1. Have affiliates create an affiliate link (I already see Affiliate plugin is doing this as expected)

2. Affiliates will be able to send visitors to our sales page.

3. The sales page has three options for different products. Those products can be entered into Marketplace.

4. I'll be able to use our merchant account to process payment, and Marketplace will be able to track the sale and credit the appropriate affiliate with the appropriate commission.

5. I can access dashboard and send payment to affiliates via our already established system and manually adjust the affiliates account back to zero after they've been paid.

This is how I plan to use this gear. Am I missing any details? Is there any reason why clicks do not presently seem to be being tracked? I've clicked my own affiliate link through a test account and clicks don't seem to be registering.

Thank you again for the helpful response. I know creating documentation on this stuff takes time, especially when things needs updated periodically.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @christian,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

1. Have affiliates create an affiliate link (I already see Affiliate plugin is doing this as expected)

2. Affiliates will be able to send visitors to our sales page.

3. The sales page has three options for different products. Those products can be entered into Marketplace.

4. I'll be able to use our merchant account to process payment, and Marketplace will be able to track the sale and credit the appropriate affiliate with the appropriate commission.

5. I can access dashboard and send payment to affiliates via our already established system and manually adjust the affiliates account back to zero after they've been paid.

You've got all that 100% correct :slight_smile: That will be exactly how it works and is what you can do out of the box.

Is there any reason why clicks do not presently seem to be being tracked? I've clicked my own affiliate link through a test account and clicks don't seem to be registering.

Could you enable the Affiliate debug add-on and provide me a affiliate link to test please :slight_smile: Are you using any caching plugins at all?

Also to clarify, the products have flat prices but a variable monthly recurring that follows also. So, that might be classified as a service in some systems as opposed to a product.

With that in mind, is Marketplace still the best add-on for this setup? Thanks again for the very helpful correspondence.

MarketPress doesn't allow for recurring payments at the moment, perhaps our membership plugin would be more suited to this where you could create multiple memberships representing the different services? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• christian

Thanks for the clarification Jack! I will look into the add ons you mentioned and see which combination provides the right functionality. It's very reassuring knowing I can get a straight answer via support. Much appreciated!

To answer your question, I'm not running any caching plugins at the moment. None are even installed. It's a brand new site I'm developing at the moment.

Affiliate debugging is now activated. Aff link:
    http://turnkeyleads.net/details?ref=demo-37

Please excuse the fact that it currently forwards to a highly unfinished page. It's still being created :slight_smile: But the links are all set up, so everything should work fine.

Thank you.

• Paul

@christian,

To clarify, if I hadn't mentioned it before, the aff link forwards properly. But when I check the dashboard, no clicks are registered. That's the particular issue I need to address.

We should note that the Affiliate plugin is very very critical when checking the referral links. You need to ensure you are not logged into your WP system. The purpose for this is to ensure some affiliate are not trying to game the system by clicking their own links.

For best results enable the Affiliate Add-on Debug. This will show a yellow bar in the footer area of your site when you visit the front-end and help you understand what it is or is not tracking.

Next open a different browser. Not just a different window. In this new browser go visit the remote site where the affiliate link is setup. Click on it. It should bring you to your site where the affiliate plugin is running. If you have enabled the Affiliate Add-on Debug you will see the message at the bottom showing the affiliate link was properly recorded.