After wordpress 3.8 this page not found, wp-admin/plugins.php

I continue to have a problem with my membership site. After updating to wordpress 3.8 the plugins page will not come up.

I receive the following error message-404 page not found for wp-admin/plugins.php

All of my plugins are updated.

I have done all the usual suggestions like deactivating all the plugins, disabling the entire plugins folder by changing it’s name and installing a new plugins folder with only askimet, removing all themes and reverting to the twenty fourteen theme.

I have manually reinstalled wordpress 3.8 via FTP.

Nothing works.

The only way I can see the plugins page is to reinstall wordpress 3.6.1

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

JoAnn

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @joann,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you were having with the WordPress.

When installing WordPress manually using FTP have you copied all the files?

Could you please try doing this again by taking backup of wp-config.php file and wp-content folder?

Also please let me know are you able to login in to admin area?

Kind Regards,

VInod Dalvi

• JoAnn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for the quick response.

I have copied all of the files. I have done the manual install both by over writing all of the files and by deleting the wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes and uploading the new folders.

No matter what I do I cannot access the plugins page from the site dashboard or the network admin dashboard. All I get is a 404 page not found error.

The only previous wordpress version that does not give me problems is 3.6.1

Thanks again for any help,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

As you can see in my original question I have done all of that exactly as directed. Even with the twenty fourteen theme as the only theme in the themes folder and activated and all plugins deactivated and the folder renamed and the new plugins folder uploaded the plugins page is still not accessible.

This is a multi site and the plugins page is visible through the dashboards of my other sites with wordpress 3.8, but the main site dashboard will not access the plugins page. Is that significant?

Also, if I activate the WPMU updates plugin it causes the dashboard to be blank. If I remove it via FTP the dashboard is visible again.

Is there anything else that I can try?

JoAnn

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi JoAnn,

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send info through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

– Choose “I have a different question”

– Include my name in the subject “Vinod Dalvi”

– Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better

– Include any relevant login information (WordPress admin info username + password )

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi JoAnn,

Thank you for sending me site details.

I tested it on your site and confirmed the plugin page is not accessible.

Can you please try enabling WP_DEBUG mode and debug logging? To do this, just go to wp-config.php include this:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);

You might already have a line for WP_DEBUG, so just make sure it’s set to true. This will create a log file under wp-content/debug.log with detailed information.

If you’d like to avoid end users seeing error messages, you can include this as well:

@ini_set('display_errors',0);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

This will prevent errors from being displayed, but you can still find them in the log file. For information on this, checkout this wpmu.org article.

Let me know what errors if any you are getting by visiting following pages on your site.

http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php

http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/network/plugin-install.php

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• JoAnn

Hi Vinod,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was out of town.

I do not get any error messages after adding the code to the wp-config.php.

For the plugins page I get a 404 error.

For adding a new plugin I get a blank page.

JoAnn

• JoAnn

I finally figured it out. It’s Chrome.

I have updated and uploaded and rewritten and FTP’d so many versions of WordPress, and changed and rewritten the .htaccss and wp-config files until I was blue in the face, and nothing worked.

Any version of WordPress after 3.6.1 would not display the dashboard correctly. Any time I tried to access the plugins or themes pages I got the dreaded 404 error.

So, today I just happened to have Internet Explorer open after I updated (AGAIN–optimist that I am) to Worpdress 3.8.1. Well, everything displayed properly.

It’s still not displaying correctly in Chrome.

I will see if Chrome needs updating or tweaking and let you know, but for now everything works in Internet Explorer.

Cheers,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Vinod Dalvi,

May I impost upon you to look at my website again? I am just desperate to get it working correctly. It is a paid membership site and I am losing money whenever it is down or when I cannot update plugins or themes.

I thought it was working but it broke down again. I have reverted back to wordpress 3.6.1. I have activated the error messages but I must confess I do not know how to correct them.

I am hoping that if you can assist me in correcting the error messages then I will be able to update wordpress to the latest version.

Thank you so much,

JoAnn

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi JoAnn,

I have also checked your new topic created on the following link and want to reply it here.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-errors-how-do-i-correct-them

I have had to revert back to 3.6.1 in order to maintain a functional site.

To troubleshoot it we need to perform testing when you face this issue that is using latest version of WordPress. I know as this is your live / production site you can’t let it be in this situation so could you please create another test / development site on your server having same configuration as live site so that we can troubleshoot it there.

I changed the wp-config file to DeBug and I get the error messages below.

This is a simple PHP warning, it is nothing to worry about!

Do you have WP_DEBUG set to true in your wp-config.php file?

If you do then please set it to false.

This will hide the warning messages and you will be able to use your site normally.

How can I fix these, and do you think if I do fix them that I will be able to update WordPress?

To fix this you have to change BuddyPress core files but it is not recommended to change core files as when you update the plugin then the changes made in the files will be overwritten and lost.

I don’t think this is causing to prevent you from updating WordPress but to make sure just deactivate BuddyPress plugin and try updating the WordPress.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• JoAnn

Okay, so if those Buddypress messages are not critical then I guess we have to look further.

I have renamed the plugins file and done the WordPress update several times and the issue remains. The last time I did it the site worked fine for three days and then, all of a sudden, the plugins and themes pages showed the 404 message.

I can do that again as I can be without access to the plugins for a little while if you would like to take a look at the site with the problem after upgrading to 3.8.1

I will let you know when this is done.

Thanks again,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Hi again,

I updated and cleaned out my plugins. The only plugin I cannot update is the Membership Pro. That has an issue that has never been solved and messes up my payments so I have an older version.

I manually updated my site to 3.8.1 and it is working but I am unable to access the plugins or themes pages in the dashboards. I have tried renaming the plugins folder and that does not help.

The DeBug is on false.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

I had to remove the WPMU dashboard. Every time I installed it it caused my dashboard to be completely blank. Removing it allowed me access to the dashboard again. I have tried it several times always with the same results.

May I send you my logins and passwords again?

JoAnn

• JoAnn

We must be psychic! I just got your e-mail and at the same time I had just now–within the last ten minutes, tried something AGAIN. Believe me I have tried everything.

All of my research points to a permalinks conflict. But, when I upgrade to 3.8.1 my permalinks menu disappears. Plus, the last time I downgraded to 3.6.1 the permalinks menu was also gone.

But, after playing around with the address bar I did mange to find it at

http://mysite.com/wp-admin/options-permalink.php

I tried setting the permalinks to default, as was suggested, but that made a conflict with BuddyPress. BuddyPress will not function with the default permalinks setting.

So, I set it for month and name.

Then I upgraded to 3.8.1 by using FTP to upload and rewrite ONLY the wp-admin folder and the wp-includes folders. I left everything else as it was with 3.6.1.

Then I went back to the permalinks page from the link above and made sure that it was still set for month and name and everything seems to be working now.

I am able to access the plugins and themes pages in my dashboard and the network dashboard.

We’ll see if it holds this time. If you remember I got it to work once for about three days and then it was back to square one with 404 pages showing for plugins and themes.

Keep your fingers crossed that this will work. If it does I will post a new topic on the membership plugin issues.

Thanks for keeping up with this issue, I do appreciate all your hard work.

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Well, we just knew it couldn’t last, didn’t we?

I saw the pages slowly disappear, now, once again, I cannot access the plugins or themes pages. I get the dreaded 404 error.

I have tried to set up a development site with a new database. I think I have done everything correctly with the database and the wp-config file. But I get this error:

Error establishing a database connection

I am just about ready to jump off the bridge here on the island.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Thanks Vinod,

I have already checked and double checked everything, the data base checks without errors, the data base name and user name and password are correct, I just don’t know what the problem is.

The data base is quite large, so I had to gzip it. Maybe it didn’t export and import correctly. I’ll try deleting it and doing a new one and see if that works.

Thanks again,

JoAnn

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.