Aliases redirect to wp-signup.php?new=alias.com

Hi,

When I go on mysite.com (multisite), I go to the homepage (normal behavior).
But when I set an alias, there's a problem. Let's say alias.com is an alias of mysite.com.
If I go to alias.com, I go to http://mysite.com/wp-signup.php?new=alias.com

Any idea?
Best Regards

PS: I think I need to answer this question in order to get Domain mapping to work.

• Arom77
    • Froggy

Hi @Patrick Cohen
    Hope you had a great weekend too :wink:

Just wanted to add one point. I googled this problem and saw that some people talk about "domains" in network settings. I can't see it. Moreover when I go to /wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=dm_domains_admin it says that I'm not allowed to see this page ("Vous n’avez pas les droits suffisants pour accéder à cette page.")
    I'm Superadmin.

• Arom77
    • Froggy

Hi @Patrick Cohen and @Jack Kitterhing

I think I figured out how to make Domain mapping work. I only set A records.
    For example, if I want to map sub.example.com to sub.mysite.com, I create a A record for sub.example.com with the IP of my site.

That being said, I'm surprised to read this here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

CNAMEs are used for sub domain mapping. i.e. you want to map blog.userdomain.com to usersite.yourdomain.com

A Records are for mapping TLDs aka Top Level Domains. i.e. userdomain.com mapped into usersite.yourdomain.com

I map sub.example.com to sub.mysite.com and only use A Records. And no CNAME. Is this normal?

For the question of using aliases (for my domain mysite.com), I don't really care for the moment as long as Domain mapping works.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Arom77,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question :slight_smile:

Looks like the Aliases could be set incorrectly, as it's sending you to the signup, as if the blog doesn't exist on a multisite network, it sends you to wp-signup.php to register that on the network :slight_smile:

I map sub.example.com to sub.mysite.com and only use A Records. And no CNAME. Is this normal?

Normally you'd use CNAME's, you'd only really use a A record for mapping sub.domain.com to domain1.com

When you set the CNAME does it work correctly?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Arom77
    • Froggy

Hi @Jack Kitterhing

- I've set some aliases in the past for other WP projects in the exact same way and they work perfectly. The only difference is that this time it's a multisite.

- No, when I set CNAME it doesn't work...

I really don't know if those 2 problems are related but I don't understand...

Any help much appreciated.

• Arom77
    • Froggy

Hi @Jack Kitterhing

Yes it does :wink: That's the point: as you can see in the capture, I created an A record to map subdomains. And it works. If I create a CNAME instead, it doesn't work.

You say that to map subdomains we need CNAME and not A record.
    So I'd like to understand!

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Arom77,

Thanks, just checked and I can confirm it's working my end as well :slight_smile:

Technically you would use normally use a CNAME, neither one is actually better than the other, it just depends on things like IP changes/DNS changes.

I would use CNAMEs, but as we've seen both are working without issues, you could technically use either :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.