Media sharing questions

Hey all, I'm probably going to have several questions as I get familiar with wordpress. I'm working on a project to make an intranet for my office currently.

The function I'm working on mapping out right now is audio and video sharing. The office I run is for a sales company and I would like to share resources for learning with reps. My questions:

1. I want each video/audio to have its own page/post for easy link sharing and bookmarking. In an ideal world it would have a method to categorize, I also want to have users to be able to comment so right now I was thinking of using normal posts and categories to do this.

In a super ideal world users would be able to share their own audios/videos from the front end. I have seen RT media but don't love that it is a light box or part of a user's profile like Facebook. I would much rather a YouTube style format if that makes any sense.

Basically my first question is: is there a way to do this better that I'm missing?

2. Is there a way where adding new media (ideally just audios or videos) to the media library automatically creates a post? Or would I have to upload then post it? I know it may sound silly but I am going to be uploading a couple short videos daily and many times on my phone so it would be so much simpler to do a new media which creates a post automatically.

Thanks so much in advance!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Owen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

1. I want each video/audio to have its own page/post for easy link sharing and bookmarking. In an ideal world it would have a method to categorize, I also want to have users to be able to comment so right now I was thinking of using normal posts and categories to do this.

That is doable and I think the best way to go here would be to create a custom post type dedicated to this with its own custom taxonomy that could be used as categories and wouldn't be "mixed" with e.g. regular posts' categories. That would let you

- keep entire video/audio content in a separate section of your site's backend
    - easily share direct links to video/audio posts
    - categorize them or tag (or both) with their own categories

Take a look here please:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-wordpress-custom-post-types/

This plugin would let you help too:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

In a super ideal world users would be able to share their own audios/videos from the front end. I have seen RT media but don't love that it is a light box or part of a user's profile like Facebook. I would much rather a YouTube style format if that makes any sense.

That's possible but I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. Would you like them to share their videos posted elsewhere or to upload their videos to your site? You mentioned "YouTube" style and I'm not sure if you mean it like in "sharing YouTube video link" or rather "a YouTube-like interface for upload". Let me know please.

2. Is there a way where adding new media (ideally just audios or videos) to the media library automatically creates a post? Or would I have to upload then post it? I know it may sound silly but I am going to be uploading a couple short videos daily and many times on my phone so it would be so much simpler to do a new media which creates a post automatically.

I think you might want to check this plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/frontend-uploader/

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.