All multisite users have lost access to their sites.

Hi,

My multisite was fine yesterday (24 hours ago) and in between I havent done anything new or that I shouldnt have ie new installation of plugins/themes etc.. In fact I havent done anything major for a 4/5 days now at least, maybe a week.

Today, all multisite users have lost access to their sites and are not listed in multisite admin as being associated to their sites. If I manually add a user to a site, I get the yellow "User added" message at the top of the page, but they are not added eg I added the user "paul" to the site "paul" and its not there and paul cannot log in to the site but gets the global dashboard instead like a standard user only account. I cannot even add the superadmin to the user list which appears to be completely blank.

Please help.

Thanks.

• Hemlock

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back so fast, I didn't expect anything until tomorrow at the earliest, so thats awesome!

Yes, all sub sites are showing in a web browser correctly, with the correct user showing as the post author etc..

Hosted by Arvixe, Ive had no problems since I started the multisite last summer. Just emailed them to see if anythings happened as a "lets do this from 1st April" type thing. Not heard back anything as yet.

Wordpress 3.2.1 ...been putting off the upgrade in case the whole thing caves in!! ie database structure etc.. Looks like Im going to have no choice now...

wp-config says same as before, I think: (copied and pasted below from the file on the server)

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

define( 'MULTISITE', true );
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true );

Not really sure what else I can tell you. The last site registered correctly around 10/11 hours ago and the first "Hello world!" autopost went in with the correct author credentials etc.. But of course in admin right now, this user doesn't run this site... ie its blank like the rest.

I would have probably spotted this issue sooner, but Ive been at my real job lol

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Hem.

• aecnu

Greetings Hem,

Cool on the Host, have not heard about them being hacked but I have heard that Host Gator had several hundred if not thousands of sites were hacked and here is how it was reported to me:

Hey, I thought you'd like to know that Hostgator had a massive intrusion this past week or so. Several people that I know that were there lost their websites to hackers. Some of them are people that I use their tools, so it created some headaches for me trying to download latest versions.

I only mention this here in full view for those having problems that may be reading this ticket - and of course I hope not - it is no pleasure for us support tech's to have to deal with such a mess.

However, I am at a complete loss of what the problem may be here because it is the first I have ever heard of this happening and second we covered all the usual suspects of what would be in mind that could cause such an anomaly.

Can you long into sub sites using the sub site URL subsite.yourdomain.com/wp-admin or subsite.yourdomain.com/wp-login.php ?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Hemlock

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your continued support and help.

Found the issue (YAY), in phpMyAdmin I noticed that the wp_usermeta table had crashed and the auto repair had failed.

So a quick SQL:

check table wp_usermeta

and then:

repair table wp_usermeta

and we are 99.99% back to normal. The last few registered users still arnt associated to their blogs so I need to tweak that a little when I get chance. Ive also disabled new registrations until I can check its okay to open the site up to the "masses" once again.

The error I got from "check table" was that a host hadnt closed the connection correctly if thats of any future use for you and the team.

Cheers,
    Hem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.