All My U.S. County Centroids are Now In the Atlantic South of Accra, Ghana

I was getting proper behavior for my Alabama counties, then cleared my browser cache, and have since been seeing this behavior....Alabama and Delaware counties are now geocoding to this same spot.

Ideas?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kenlyle,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

This is a hard one with so little information to work with.

Check your maps location that is within WordPress and what do they tell?

Please post the Geo location of one of your Alabama county locations.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• kenlyle
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think it's how Google tell you that you are over quota, perhaps:

FEATURE_NAME STATE_ALPHA PRIMARY_LATITUDE PRIMARY_LONGITUDE
    Autauga County AL 32.533467 -86.6499804
    Baldwin County AL 30.7504667 -87.766658
    Barbour County AL 31.8834938 -85.4499405
    Bibb County AL 33.0004003 -87.149996
    Blount County AL 33.9667652 -86.5833237
    Bullock County AL 32.0668188 -85.6999481
    Butler County AL 31.8293195 -86.6208073

etc, directly from the U.S. Government...http://geonames.usgs.gov/docs/federalcodes/NationalFedCodes_20121001.zip

The plugin works correctly, intermittently.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kenlyle,

Thank you for your additional input regarding this issue, it is certainly appreciated.

I tried to dig in some more to see what happens when a person is over quota and found this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9836958/google-geocoding-api-error-you-are-over-your-quota

I would be more inclined to believe that the Google Geo Mapping server and/or API is having issues then that they are intentionally sending you out into the ocean ... lol

However, after Googling google maps having issues it appears that you are certainly not alone regarding issues with Google Maps.

Have you managed to dig anything else up that may explain this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• kenlyle

Thanks for the research, Joe. No, I don't know any more, and I had to make an awkward attempt at a joke in a demo today when I showed the live map "feature"..."Haha, Alabama's in Africa"...not good.

I do notice that the location I get is on the Equator. It may also be on the Greenwich line...so maybe a kind of 0,0? I am hoping that the dev. will chime in with something informative.

• kenlyle

I saw this happen again....we were troubleshooting map display, trying to overlay a KML, over Alabama....and suddenly the map renders that point off Accra, Ghana.

If you scroll straight North, you'll come to Greenwich, roughly. So this is clearly the 0,0 point of lat/long.

Still not sure what to do about the seemlingly random Google map/quota(?) issues.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kenlyle,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

To date I have never heard of this before and now I am at an impasses as to what it could possibly be? Google quota? I have no idea.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kenlyle,

Thank you for the additional input and screen shots, they are certainly appreciated.

Though I did not find a debug so to speak, I did find a Fix and Repair in the Google Maps add ons section.

Logged into the admin dashboard go to --> Settings --> Google Maps --> scroll towards the bottom of the page and you should see the add on that I am referring to.

Please advise if this does indeed fix this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• kenlyle

Thanks, Joe...I did not need to try this option.

At this moment, the maps are rendering correctly. I haven't seen Africa in hours now.

Maybe Google resets some quota at midnight UTC?

the weird thing seems to be that the plugin is clearly asking for coordinates in the U.S., but then Google seems to sometimes be like "Go Fish!...Here's a map of 0,0". I don't know what the actual datastream is, but displaying a map of 0,0 (depending on Zoom, of course) will rarely be what is requested and will never be useful to my application. I would hope that the dev could detect this condition, and suppress the map, render an error message, display a link to a random YouTube video related to the requested coordinates....something....

Thanks for your interest in my issue.

• dejliglama
    • Lama

I have the same issue - on the 0,0 line, but i believe it's when google can't translate the adress into something meaningfull.

However, after changing the adress to something correct (and a new pin showing up correctly... the old one stays where it is..)

http://staycreator.com/sc/ (towards the bottom of the page)

I don't think that is google, rather it's the plugin in some way ?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kenlyle and dejliglama,

Just a heads up that my flag for the lead developer to give us any clues is still valid and please if there is any change in the status or reaction you folks are having with this plugin to please let me know i.e. it stops or running the fix described above works etc.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings dejliglama,

Thank you for your additional input into this ticket, it is certainly appreciated I can assure you.

I am still looking forward to the lead developers input and to what he may have to offer to possibly resolving this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The plugin in the latest version should actually just reject the failed requests and proceed without creating a map - this should take care of such issues for new maps. However, the existing empty/erroneous maps won't be affected by this, so they're best purged from the database.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.