All Tables from old database copied to gobal databse and blogs not seperated.

I'm in the process of testing Multi-db on our development server before applying it to our production server however Instead of the script separating the individual blogs into the separate created db's It has copied all the tables from my old MU "dbname" db into the dbname_global db.

Has anyone experience this before and know why this might have happen?

Also I'm getting the following notice on the move-blogs.php page

Notice: Undefined index: table in path-to\wp-content\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 61

I Also got a few php warning after clicking To "4. start the copy process click here" Link
I will try to replicate them and post them before I sign off this evening.

• northgate

Here is the Warning which I got roughly about 142 times:

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in path-to\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 141

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in path-to\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 140

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in path-to\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 141

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in path-to\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 140

• northgate

Here is my current db-config.php

<?php
    //	Plugin Name: Multi-DB
    //	Plugin URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/Multiple-Databases
    //	Author: Andrew Billits (Incsub)
    //  Version: 2.9.2
    //------------------------------------------------------------------------//
    //---DB Scaling-----------------------------------------------------------//
    //	16,256,4096
    define ('DB_SCALING', '16');
    //---DC IPs---------------------------------------------------------------//
    //	Usage: add_dc_ip(IP, DC)
    //	EX: add_dc_ip('123.123.123.', 'dc1');
    add_dc_ip('127.0.0.1.', 'dc1');
    //---Global Tables--------------------------------------------------------//
    //	Do not include default global tables
    //	Leave off base prefix (eg: wp_)
    //
    //	Usage: add_global_table(TABLE_NAME)
    //	EX: add_global_table('something');
    add_global_table('dbname_global');
    //---DB Servers-----------------------------------------------------------//
    //	Database servers grouped by dataset.
    //	R can be 0 (no reads) or a positive integer indicating the order
    //	in which to attempt communication (all locals, then all remotes)
    //
    //	Usage: add_db_server(DS, DC, READ, WRITE, HOST, LAN_HOST, NAME, USER, PASS)
    //	EX: add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'global.mysql.example.com:3509','global.mysql.example.lan:3509', 'global-db', 'globaluser',  'globalpassword');
    //
    //	Note: you can also place this section in a file called db-list.php in wp-content
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1', 'dbname_global', 'username',  'password');

add_db_server('0', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_0', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_1', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('2', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_2', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('3', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_3', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('4', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_4', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('5', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_5', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('6', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_6', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('7', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_7', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('8', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_8', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('9', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_9', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('a', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_a', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('b', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_b', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('c', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_c', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('d', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_d', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('e', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_e', 'username',  'password');
    add_db_server('f', 'dc1', 1, 1,'','127.0.0.1', 'dbname_f', 'username',  'password');
    // Add VIP
    add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'127.0.0.1', 'dbname_vip1', 'username',  'password');
    //---VIP Blogs------------------------------------------------------------//
    //	Usage: add_vip_blog(BLOG_ID, DS)
    //	EX: add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');

add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');
    ?>

Here is my current setting for the move-blog.php

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Multi-DB (Conversion Tool)
    Plugin URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/Multiple-Databases
    Description:
    Author: Ron Dillehay - FanMail to rdillehay@hotmail.com (no tech support please) - Modified slightly by Andrew Billits (Incsub)
    Version: 2.9.2
    Author URI:
    Descriptiom:
    This script is to move blogs from a wordpress mu single database setup, to a wordpress mu multiple database setup using an MD5 hash to establish blog routing
    Use this script at your own risk.  My test setup uses php 5, mysql 5, and wordpress mu 1.2.5a
    */ 

//---Config---------------------------------------------------------------//

///DB Settings
    $dbname = "dbname";  //This is your current database
    $blog_table_prefix = 'db45_fg_';  //Prefix of your wpmu blog tables, most likely this won't need to be changed
    $newdb_prefix = 'dbname_';  //This is the prefix of the db's you're moving your tables into - we assume they are all the same, if not, you're in trouble

//We need info to connect to the databases
    $dbhost = 'localhost';
    $dbuname = 'username';
    $dbpass = 'password';

//How many db's are you moving into (16, 256, or 4096)?
    $db_scaling = '16';

?>

The site I'm trying to move is a basic WP multi site on my development server which is used for testing.

• aecnu

Greetings northgate,

Please let me know how many blogs you had before running move.php and of course Kim probably did not notice the basically bogus db-config.php file posted and though you do not want to make public the this file, it is not accurate.

Please send FTP details to aecnu (at) incsub.com which is indeed my official WPMU Dev provided email box so that I may dig into this checking the real settings and also include the login details for cPanel and WP admin.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• northgate

Hi aecnu,

I'm testing this on my development server which has basically roughly about 3-5 sites this should not be an issue in have them properly moved.

Please point out the bogus area in the db-config.php and please point out the area in which it is not accurate as this is a replica of the db-config.php file included in the usage of plugin.

I can not provide you FTP, wp admin or cpanel access as this server is not on the internet which should not be an issue in have the plugin working properly.

If you can help me arrive at an accurate db-config.php it would be greatly appreciated.

I would also recommend updated the plugin usage and sample db-config.php for future customers if indeed as you rightly stated it is not accurate

• northgate

Yes the 16 dbs have been created, are empty and user assigned to them see attached screenshot

yes my current db both the live and development are all prefix like db45_fg_

when additional sites are added to the db by WordPress it goes db45_fg_2_posts, db45_fg_3_posts, db45_fg_4_posts, db45_fg_5_posts etc.

However the multi-db plugin is simple coping all tables with prefix db45_fg_ from my current db into _global db

• northgate

Yes they are prefix e.g. dbname_1, dbname_2 phpmyadmin does not list the prefix for each db but simple display the prefix once and list all the db's with the same prefix below it.

see updated image.

I believe the issue is the script is only checking for the _global db because if i delete all db's i will get an error stating I should create the _global db (only)

ohh! I also have the following error displayed on the move-blogs.php

Notice: Undefined index: table in \wp-content\db-scripts\move-blogs.php on line 61

In the table on that same page in the "new db" column only dbname_global is listed

• northgate

Hello can I get a solid and timely response on this. I'm a paying customer I can't afford to have such huge lag times between posting and obtaining responses.

I need to be able to move on and test other plugins to ensure they do not have issues that requires trouble shooting.

It should not take more than 15min to obtain a response from WPMUDev no mater how complex it is as support is not free.

Please get back to me on this thanks.

• Kimberly

Hello there,

Support sometimes slows up on the weekends, we work our devs pretty hard so the relish the time off :wink:

Aaron will be back shortly, I'm sure as soon as he finishes his cup o' joe

In the meantime, I am curious about the underscore on the list of db's, did you add this in your settings or is it being generated automatically?

As for the Notice, you should only worry about Warnings, the notices are usually benign.

Kimberly

Cheers!

• northgate

solved it.....

I can not afford to be waiting days for a response hopefully I won't have to wait days to to get a response on this one.

even with the following line in my db-config.php

// Add VIP
    add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1',  'dbname_vip1', 'username', 'password');

add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');

The blog with ID 1 still hasn't been moved to dbname_vip1 is there anything that is missing?

• northgate

@aecnu

Have you checked to see if vip1 is indeed part of the tables/listed in the vip database?

I don't think I follow? isn't this line:

add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_vip1', 'username', 'password');

suppose to add my vip table to the tables/listed?

@Aaron as stated that issue is solved.

The issue I have now is moving a blog to a Vip db I want to be able to cross all my T's and dot all my I's before moving forward so any help with regards to the Vip db's would be greatly appreciated

what do you mean by:

has to be setup manually

based on the Multi-DB usage I thought that would have been an automated process if not what is the correct process

• Aaron

VIP blogs are only useful if you have a very high traffic site that you want/need to put on a different physical server for load reasons.

From the directions:

A note about VIP databases: These allow you to place a blog in a specific database. Unless you have a blog/site that gets a ton of traffic and you want to put it on another physical server for performance reasons, then it’s not really worth it to bother with that feature. Again, the vast majority of installs do not need to use VIP blogs, so skip over it unless you are sure you need to use this feature. Each VIP blog/site will need it’s own database which is why you’d use vip1, vip2, etc. You’ll use the add_vip_blog() function in db-config.php to move specific blogs to these databases.

I highly doubt you fall into this use case, but in the oft chance you do, you will need to manually dump that blogs tables and import them into your VIP db. Move blogs script does recognize VIP blogs or handle this for you.

• northgate

@aecnu thanks for your input.

@Aaron I believe you will need to add this

you will need to manually dump that blogs tables and import them into your VIP db.

To the usage just in case there are other individuals like me who might want to utilize it.

I still don't understand the purpose of the Move blogs script for VIP blogs if it doesn't automate the process.

Does it simple allow you to connect to a vip db that has already been manually moved?

• Barry

Hi, can you post up your most recent db-config.php file if it has changed from the one your posted above, because that one has a few errors in it which I can highlight better with your latest version.

Does it simple allow you to connect to a vip db that has already been manually moved?

VIP databases are really mean't to be set up after you have performed the move. For example, you've moved all your blogs from a single db to multiple db's to improve performance, but you want this particular one to benefit even more, so you put that on it's own. As such, it's a manual move rather than an automated one as, as well as moving the db - for a VIP you'd probably also want to set them up their own space for uploads, etc.

• northgate

HI Barry good to see you're finally around

Here is my latest db-config.php as requested

<?php
    //	16,256,4096
    add_dc_ip('127.0.0.1', 'dc1');
    //
    add_global_table('dbname_global');
    //
    //	EX: add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'global.mysql.example.com:3509','global.mysql.example.lan:3509', 'global-db', 'globaluser',  'globalpassword');
    //
    //	Note: you can also place this section in a file called db-list.php in wp-content
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1',  'dbname_global', 'username', 'password');

add_db_server('0', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_0', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_1', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('2', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_2', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('3', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_3', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('4', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_4', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('5', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_5', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('6', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_6', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('7', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_7', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('8', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_8', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('9', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_9', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('a', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_a', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('b', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_b', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('c', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_c', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('d', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_d', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('e', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_e', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('f', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_f', 'username', 'password');
    // Add VIP
    add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1',  'dbname_vip1', 'username', 'password');

add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');
    ?>

With regards the vip1 db if for e.g. I would like to have my main site on a VIP db (so its performance will not be affect by the other sites) just to clarify and for my own personal understanding which I could use as a future reference with other VIP db's:

1. I would have to create vip1 db (which is already created), vip2, vip3, etc. or as needed
    2. create a SQL dumb of the following tables

prefix_commentmeta
        prefix_comments
        prefix_links
        prefix_options
        prefix_postmeta
        prefix_posts
        prefix_terms
        prefix_term_relationships
        prefix_term_taxonomy

3. import it into vip1, vip2, vip3, etc. or as needed
    4. then use this line to connect
    add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_vip1', 'username', 'password');

5. then add this line

add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1'); whats is the purpose of this line if everything is already done manually?

I assume the users for the Vip1 db will be pulled from the users table in the dbname_global (correct me if I'm wrong)

• Barry

Ok, db-config first.
    Line 24 is wrong it has too many digits - see the comment line above for an example of what it is expecting.

Line 37 - unless you have a table called "wp_dbname_global" (or whatever your prefix is) then this is going to cause problems. Comment that line out or remove it completely.

All your add_db_server lines should be fine, but for extra resilience I recommend changing the '' in them to the same setting as the local IP. So the '' will become '127.0.0.1'

• Barry

whats is the purpose of this line if everything is already done manually?

It tells the plugin that the tables for the blog with the id of 1 is in the db called vip1, otherwise the plugin will try to work out where it thinks it should be and look there instead. It also moves the discovery and connection of the db earlier in the code, so it's slightly quicker - in computer processing terms, so prob not that noticable really.

• northgate

Hi Barry your explanation of the of db-config hasn't been very helpful

Line 24 is wrong it has too many digits - see the comment line above for an example of what it is expecting.

Line 24 is a commented out line I do not see how a commented out line can be wrong. Can you please highlight the code to be more specific.

If you are referring to this line

add_dc_ip('127.0.0.1', 'dc1'); isn't the numbers suppose to be the IP of the db host? if not what numbers I'm I suppose to place there

Line 37 - unless you have a table called "wp_dbname_global" (or whatever your prefix is) then this is going to cause problems. Comment that line out or remove it completely.

Can you please explain what is the use of global tables and what is the reasoning for why it should be removed and what trouble it will cause. simple stating to remove it will not provide me with the opportunity to learn the purpose of this line.

I'm simply following the instructions of the plugin usage. So any additional information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Barry

I'm going based on the line numbers on the posted db-config above - I can't see the line numbers of your actual file so can only quote on the line numbers here.

isn't the numbers suppose to be the IP of the db host? if not what numbers I'm I suppose to place there

No, it's supposed to be the first three parts of the IP address - the line above this one (the commented out one) shows an example. It should be:

add_dc_ip('127.0.0.', 'dc1');

Can you please explain what is the use of global tables and what is the reasoning for why it should be removed and what trouble it will cause.

A global table is a table that is global to the install and should be placed in the global database - eg. users, blogs, sites. usermeta are all standard global tables and the plugin knows about these. With this line you are saying that you have another global table specific to your install that doesn't exist.

• northgate

I'm aware you are not able to see my db-config.php I believe posting the actual line would be more accurate instead of stating a line number.

I've updated my file accordingly.

No, it's supposed to be the first three parts of the IP address

Can you please explain why only the first three parts of the IP?

Also when I'm moving this to my production server I will be connecting to Amazon RDS since it doesn't use IP address (RDS uses endpoints e.g. xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com) what would the configuration for that line be?.

With this line you are saying that you have another global table specific to your install that doesn't exist.

I assume you are referring to this line?

add_global_table('dbname_global'); which as you indicated should be commented out

• Barry

I'm aware you are not able to see my db-config.php I believe posting the actual line would be more accurate instead of stating a line number.

I was using the line numbers from this post - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-tables-from-old-database-copied-to-gobal-databse-and-blogs-not-seperated#post-265147 - the one you posted your db-config.php from assuming that you would look at it, see the relevant line and then find the one like it in your config. Apologies if that wasn't obvious.

Can you please explain why only the first three parts of the IP?

You are identifying a data centre not a server. It is primarily used if you are running multiple synchronised servers and multiple read, write, read/write database servers. The plugin, from your webservers ip address works out which of the defined data centres it is in and prioritises which db server to use based on whether it needs to read or write and whether a relevant server is local to it (in the same centre) or remote.

When you move to RDS, you can ignore it really - just place the same RDS domain in both the lan and wlan parts of the add_db_server line (the places where you currently have a '127.0.0.1' and a '' and the plugin will use that for all operations regardless of where it thinks it is - it'll get more complex when you start replicating the databases though (if that is the plan).

• northgate

Thanks for the Help it has gone along way towards helping me understand the inner workings of the Multi-DB

Here is my latest db-config I believe everything should be order now (if not feel free to let me know ).

<?php
    //	16,256,4096
    add_dc_ip('127.0.0.', 'dc1');
    //
    //add_global_table('dbname_global');
    //
    //
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1',  'dbname_global', 'username', 'password');

add_db_server('0', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_0', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_1', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('2', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_2', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('3', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_3', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('4', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_4', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('5', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_5', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('6', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_6', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('7', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_7', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('8', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_8', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('9', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_9', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('a', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_a', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('b', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_b', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('c', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_c', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('d', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_d', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('e', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_e', 'username', 'password');
    add_db_server('f', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1', 'dbname_f', 'username', 'password');
    // Add VIP
    //add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, '127.0.0.1', '127.0.0.1',  'dbname_vip1', 'username', 'password');

//add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');
    ?>

I'm not yet ready to move into replicating the databases however this will be something I will be looking into as I scale in the near future.

Once again thanks for help, greatly appreciated....

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.