Membership 2 Pro has been released!

Hey all!

We've got a great update that been released, Membership 2 Pro. This replaces both Protected Content and Membership.

Here's the latest changelog from this update. Protected content users will notice the same interface, Membership users will notice a huge difference! :slight_smile:

New network-wide protection mode added (see Membership 2 > Help page)
New official plugin API added (see Membership 2 > Help page)
New Payment gateway added: Stripe Subscriptions
New option in Membership Payment settings to disable individual payment
gateways.
Improved payment settings page to use number-input fields instead of text-fields
Fix issue where Simulation (Test) mode added HTML code to all Ajax responses
Fix blank screen after submitting the password reset form
Minor improvements all over the place

You'll have to make sure to upgrade either Membership Pro or Protected Content first to see the upgrade notice for Membership2 Pro you'll then be able to auto update to Membership2 Pro.

Any issues or bugs, please create a new ticket here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question and one of our support team will be right along to assist!

Have fun with the new upgrade! :slight_smile:

• SD2k

You're scaring me now! There are a few things about protected content that I wasn't in love with, please tell me I'm not going to spend three days trying to figure things out once (if) I upgrade! :slight_frown:

I currently have Pro-Sites and Membership playing together really nicely. Looks like I'm going to have to setup a staging system/site, grab my #$@'s, plug my nose and jump!!... :slight_smile:

• amused

ok can i get just a bit of clarification here ?
    i was under the assumption that "Protected Content" was replacing "Membership Pro".
    so i guess the idea now is that "Membership2 Pro" will replace both ?

ok so i ran the install for "Membership2 Pro" AFTER updating "Protected Content" which i believe is the correct procedure.
    but then i got a fatal error message. (sorry did not take a screen shot and cant remember the wording). but basically i deactivated and deleted "Protected Content" (after the important update) then activated "Membership2 Pro" and all seems perfect now !!!

i think this will inevitably be a hassle for some users (the only issue i got is what was mentioned above) but i appreciate the approach.
    i have seen new "monthly" members asking for "membership pro" support and the admins then introduce/recommend "Protected Content" to them.
    "membership pro" has been around for years and is mentioned on lots of forums, blogs, wordpress repository etc. etc. and when people look for a wordpress membership plugin and they come across "Membership Pro" and "Protected Content", guess which one they would inevitably try first.

so i think if my assumption is correct in that we are now moving forward with newer coded plugin ("Protected Content") and reverting back to the older name ("Membership Pro"), with the added "2" :slight_smile: then its a bit of a work around but an intuitive and well worth marketing for the plugin going forward.

i also noticed your other plugins (affiliates, wpmudev dashboard etc.) have also been updated for this transition as well.
    EXCELLENT bringing all the pieces together simultaneously !!!
    just about a week ago i asked about "affiliates" and "protected content" integration.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protected-content-integration-for-affiliates
    i put it in the back of my mind that i may have to wait many months for this.
    HA !
    you guys/gals have exceeded my expectations once again !!!
    excellent work and congrats on this amazing achievement wpmudev !!!

• Patrick

Hi,

After updated my original membership plugin, I tried to install membership2 pro again, this message still exists:

Downloading install package from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=install&key=5ab7cadf4a599d0c6fbdb3c1186cf4ff400d0aac&pid=1003656…

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /home/content/p3nexnas05_data02/62/2118262/html/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed.

I can't deactivate or delete my membership plugin because it's the most important plugin for my website...

• Timothy Bowers

Hey @SD a.k.a. (sdinvestor2k)

M2 is the next stage in development for the Membership plugin. Protected Content came about to give us more time to work on features, getting importers going, etc.

Hey @amused

i was under the assumption that "Protected Content" was replacing "Membership Pro".
    so i guess the idea now is that "Membership2 Pro" will replace both ?

It was, is, and has, we simply renamed Protected Content. :slight_smile:

M2 is Protected Content but renamed and a few extras, we like the name Membership. :slight_smile:

ok so i ran the install for "Membership2 Pro" AFTER updating "Protected Content" which i believe is the correct procedure.
    but then i got a fatal error message. (sorry did not take a screen shot and cant remember the wording). but basically i deactivated and deleted "Protected Content" (after the important update) then activated "Membership2 Pro" and all seems perfect now !!!

Let us know if you do see that error again, it will help us get it sorted.

i think this will inevitably be a hassle for some users (the only issue i got is what was mentioned above) but i appreciate the approach.
    i have seen new "monthly" members asking for "membership pro" support and the admins then introduce/recommend "Protected Content" to them.
    "membership pro" has been around for years and is mentioned on lots of forums, blogs, wordpress repository etc. etc. and when people look for a wordpress membership plugin and they come across "Membership Pro" and "Protected Content", guess which one they would inevitably try first.

Protected Content now 301's to M2. So whichever link they come across in our forums, they will get the right project.

i also noticed your other plugins (affiliates, wpmudev dashboard etc.) have also been updated for this transition as well.
    EXCELLENT bringing all the pieces together simultaneously !!!

This is part of the reason Protected Content come about, we were developing Membership2 but didn't want to leave it standing a year or so whilst we developed all the needed stuff. So we launched it as Protected Content whilst we continued to develop it further.

you guys/gals have exceeded my expectations once again !!!
    excellent work and congrats on this amazing achievement wpmudev !!!

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

@Editor SPECS

Using FTP to quickly delete the plugin, then upload the new code should do it.

For further assistance, please open a support ticket here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

We can take a look and assist if needed. We wouldn't want to miss any tech issues amongst the public announcement here.

Take care, have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

• Sajid

Hi @Stefanie! Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Coupons will only apply once if you are using our new Stripe Subscription gateway. We are working on other gateways to use coupons once or allow users to decide if a coupon is one time or permanent, its currently at top of our to-do list and we already have this feature request filed.

So hopefully you will see this feature soon :slight_smile:

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Patrick

Hi there @Mark

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

The Membership Pro plugin will receive necessary security updates until it's retired. I cannot say when exactly that may happen as we are not privy to that information. However, as Membership2 is designed to replace both the original Membership Pro and Protected Content plugins, it will happen eventually.

I would recommend setting up clones of your existing sites on a development server where you can play around & test your custom stuff against Membership2 at your leisure.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Rod,

You'll want to try uninstalling & re-installing Membership 2 Pro here, it sounds like might be something missing. If that doesn't get you back up and running though, then we'll want to continue this discussion in a separate ticket, so we can focus on your issue specifically. :slight_smile:

You'll want to open a new thread over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

If you open that ticket, please note if there's any error messages that come up on the page, and if you've already done a conflict test (we've got one at the bottom of our Getting Support page).

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• KTFMC

I am looking for a couple of features and would love to see them in this plugin:

1) The ability to lock some membership levels from registration. (I run a non profit and have 4 membership levels, 2 of which are only obtainable if nominated and then voted by the members. It is an honor for them to be granted these levels and they are no dues for them. So public enough to be seen, but shouldn't be able to signup for them, but I want them visible but only available by admin assignment).
    2) I would like to be able to choose whether a page is protected or hidden from those who are not permitted access.
    3)I look at the registration form as more of an application than a registration form. I would like the registration form to be emailed to my admin email so I can present the form to my board for approval. Then after getting the approval, activate the member on the site.

• Tyler Postle

Hey KTFMC,

1) The ability to lock some membership levels from registration. (I run a non profit and have 4 membership levels, 2 of which are only obtainable if nominated and then voted by the members. It is an honor for them to be granted these levels and they are no dues for them. So public enough to be seen, but shouldn't be able to signup for them, but I want them visible but only available by admin assignment).

You can do this by unchecking the "allow users to register for this membership" option when setting up a new membership :slight_smile: I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

Then if you want to still reference to it on the registration page you can edit the page and add it above or below the shortcodes manually or use the shortcodes available via: Membership 2 > Help > Shortcodes. Leave out the buy button of course.

2) I would like to be able to choose whether a page is protected or hidden from those who are not permitted access.

So is this whether or not the page redirects to a protected content page or just goes to a 404?

3)I look at the registration form as more of an application than a registration form. I would like the registration form to be emailed to my admin email so I can present the form to my board for approval. Then after getting the approval, activate the member on the site.

In this case, you could use the manual payment option which makes it so you have to approve the membership before it is actually applied to the user. The user would still be registered to the site but you could protect everything with Membership 2 until you approve the membership.

You could hide the pricing in this case so it doesn't look like it's actually set up as a paid membership.

Another option would be to create your own form using a plugin like Contact Form 7: https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/

Create all the fields you would like them to fill out and the membership they want then when you receive that you could present it to the board and then create the user based on the email they've included in the form.

Hope that helps! If you need any help setting this up then create a new ticket here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• KTFMC

Thanks Tyler!

#1) I kind of have it st up that way now but it is not as pretty without digging into the code! I am all about simplicity these days! (that is when I have had the registration on but because of #3, registration has been off!)

In regards to #2 - I should have said in relation to menu items. I have the pages the menu items refer to protected, but I would like to simply say show this menu item to logged in members and hide it from guests.

#3 - I was just hoping there was a way I could change this to no longer having t manually add new members. Guess not, oh well!

One more questions. Is there a way I can get Memberships 2 to recognize which membership to assign to each member based on a buddypress profile field with the same names? I am getting ready to upload 600+ members and would rather not have to change level for each one (leaves to many chances for user error)

• Tyler Postle

Hey KTFMC,

No problem!

In regards to #2 - I should have said in relation to menu items. I have the pages the menu items refer to protected, but I would like to simply say show this menu item to logged in members and hide it from guests.

I see, so you want it to automatically remove the page from the menu as well when it's a protected page?

If you use the advanced menu protection add-on then you could create a menu specific to guests and not add any protected pages then have a members menu that you swap in for registered users/members. Would that work? Might be easier to manage per menu like that.

#3 - I was just hoping there was a way I could change this to no longer having t manually add new members. Guess not, oh well!

Another option would be to setup the "default" membership and have them sign up that way it will automatically apply a default membership, but it won't actually have access to anything so you have to "approve" or in this case move them over to a membership with proper access until they can use the site.

One more questions. Is there a way I can get Memberships 2 to recognize which membership to assign to each member based on a buddypress profile field with the same names? I am getting ready to upload 600+ members and would rather not have to change level for each one (leaves to many chances for user error)

This would take further customization. There isn't a built in way to do this. If you create a new post on it: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question then we could have one of our coding experts look into it, but there is a good chance it is something you would need to hire a developer for.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
        Tyler

• Mike

Well- 2 and 1/2 months after membership crashed my live site and I am still not back where I need to be. After a full blown restore that didn't do the trick, It was suggested by support to move to protected content.. that plugin caused a whole range of issues with my MP product search widget and my tribe calendar program--- so I sat and waited. I now hear that M2 is out, I killed by development site, wiped clean my php file so that it is a clone of my live site, copied live to developement, ran velvet blue, of course did not delete wp-config on dev.
    My dev site is a clone of live-- I installed M2, did the 2 members, went to simply restrict access for a key page of contentand (see attached) it's clocking. I tried selecting who has access on the page, same result.

I am sorry but this is beyond acceptable, I have lost customers, my client has lost faith in my ability to secure a site..

Yes , I opened my site up to WPMU support , but last time I got no replies for a week at some point.

Mike

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Mike,

I installed M2, did the 2 members, went to simply restrict access for a key page of contentand (see attached) it's clocking. I tried selecting who has access on the page, same result.

You'll be glad to know that we've actually got this noted as a bug presently, so we're working on getting this part resolved ASAP. :slight_smile:

I'll let the developer know about this instance of this issue occurring, just so he's aware.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Rod,

I hope you're well today!

I do understand this may not be so obvious but fortunately, the feature is quite easy to use. When you open user's profile for editing ("Users" -> "All users" -> pick a user and select [Edit]) you'll see a full list of custom capabilities assigned at the very bottom of the profile page.

To edit capabilities please go to your dashboard's

"Membership 2" - "Protection Rules" page -> "Capabilities" tab.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions, please ask. However, it would be really great if you could start a new thread for each of the issues you need our assistance with. This way we'll be able to keep information organized better, replay faster and also it may be very helpful for other members of our community who experience similar issues!

Thanks and have a great day!
      Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.