Allow 1 user (or membership level) to use the Theme Editor

I need to allow one user (or the Membership level she is in; she's the only one in it) to use the Theme editor on a SUBsite of multisite network.

I have Branding and Membership 2 Pro installed.

In Membership 2, I have a membership that includes just this one person, but I can't find anywhere in the Admin Side list of menu items to protect the Editor to just this one membership group.

I tried creating a custom link with Branding, but this user gets a "you don't have permission" error.

I suspect that part (all?) of my problem here is that the Editor is probably only available to superadmins in a multisite set up. But I don't know if that's true, so perhaps someone can confirm.

I feel like I've seen it on my subsites in the past, but it's not there now. I don't know if I disabled it via another plugin, in wp-config, or if I'm just remembering wrong.

This network of sites is run entirely by me so I don't mind if the Editor shows up on subsites....if there is a way to enable it.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hi Kalico,

Hope you're doing well today!

The issue here is that in a Multisite setup the Editor is only available on the network admin level - so as you suggested, it's only available to the super admin. This is by design to avoid your users making mistakes in the editor and possibly crashing the whole network.

This thread here might interest you: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multisite-theme-edit

It provides some potential workarounds to adding the theme editor to your subsites. I haven't tested these myself but might be worth a shot if you really want to add it to subsites.

What sort of changes do they need to make? If it's just CSS related stuff I would recommend just adding a plugin like this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

That would give each subsite it's own custom CSS stylesheet in the admin.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.