Allow for multiple appointments in one time slot with Appointments +

Hi there : ).

The Appointments+ plugin is really great, but in my opinion it's missing a key feature.

You've included the ability to limit the number of spaces in a given time slot (if you have 10 service providers but you only want 2 people to be able to request an appointment in each time slot, that's doable). That's great.

However, you have not provided a way for one service provider to allow multiple individuals to reserve the same time slot. With that ability, this plugin would be great for a wider variety of users--for example, life coaches and fitness coaches who offer group coaching (one service provider with several open appointments in the same time slot).

Without this feature, unless I'm missing something, the plugin is kind of useless for anyone who wants to provide any kind of group appointment (life coaches; physical trainers; group counselors for churches, marriage counseling, job training; etc.).

I did see this in the FAQs (http://screencast.com/t/pYXDZd4kQeW7), but neither of these solutions seems practical to me in a multisite setting. If you add the code to your theme's functions.php file, you change the setting for all sites using that theme across your installation. Adding the code as a custom plugin that you activate only on sites where you want to change this functionality might work, but only if you want the potential group sizes to be the same for all sites. Otherwise you need a new custom plugin for every site that needs this addressed. And, maybe I'm just not seeing how it works, but I tried creating multiple dummy providers using the same WP user and it only allowed me to create one dummy per WP user. If you could create 15 dummy providers and assign them all to the same real WP user, that would solve this issue, allowing you to have 15 openings for one time slot. But as long as you have to create a new WP user for each dummy provider (with a unique email address), it's not a practical solution either. Am I missing something when it comes to the dummy providers option that would solve this problem?

I would love it if you would add in this functionality...would make the plugin so much more useful to a wider audience.

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Molly Ogren,

Thank you for your feedback which is greatly appreciated and thanks you bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• pxwm
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi Molly,

I was interested in trying this out to see if I could resolve your problem across mulisites if adding the code to themes functions.php

However I couldn't get it to work did you?

If so did you add the code exactly how it is in the FAQ tab?

Regards
    SteveB

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

For reference, these are the mentioned codes in the FAQ:

function increase_capacity( $capacity, $service_id, $worker_id ) {
        return 10;
    }
    add_filter( 'app_get_capacity', 'increase_capacity', 10, 3 );

If you add the codes in a file instead of functions.php and upload that file in "mu-plugins" folder, it will be valid for all sub sites of the network.

The above code is just a sample and it is possible to customize it using $service_id and/or $worker_id parameters. For example you can say "Service with the name 'Default Service' should have an extended capacity of 10, while another one with name 'Another Service' will have an extended capacity of 8.

You can write your own Addon to make those settings adjustable in admin pages.

However, all of these are *hacks*. It think the intention of this plugin is being missed here.

Appointments+ is designed for one-to-one appointments, that is, for service providers serving *single* clients. So counselors or teachers, or any other service provider serving a group of people are not in the scope of this plugin.

In other words, in A+, available workforce of a provider for a certain time slot is always 1 (or maximum 1, because it can be zero for break hours). It means, a service provider cannot serve more than one client at a given time.

That is why that functionality is not integrated in A+.

What you actually need is maybe future Bookings+, or existing Events+ plugins.

For a brief comparison of these plugins, please see this post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/clarifying-the-role-of-appointments-bookings-events-marketpress#post-304280

Cheers,
    Hakan

• loudsugar
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You said:

If you add the codes in a file instead of functions.php and upload that file in "mu-plugins" folder, it will be valid for all sub sites of the network.

What do I name the file that I include the code in? If I upload this new file (what extension do I use) to the mu-plugins folder how does the system know to use this code.

Excuse my noob question.

• resultsinc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hakan,

I appreciate increasing the capacity is a "hack" but could you be more specific how I would alter the code to increase a particular service from 1 to 10 please.

E.g. what would to code look like to increase the capacity of service "Energy" from 1 to 10 spaces?

Many thanks for you help.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings resultsinc,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• latin_rascal3
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

How do I use the sample code? Where does it go on the server?

I also changed the code as directed:

function increase_capacity( $capacity, $service_id, $worker_id ) {
    return 10;
    }
    add_filter( 'app_get_capacity', 'increase_capacity', 10, 3 );

I changed the last two variables to match mine and it does not work.

The changes where made on the template functions.php file. Is this right?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.