Allow for WP/plugins: What is this feature?

First of all, the CustomPress plugin is a great feature. Very much needed. A great start.

I was wondering, what is meant by "Allow for WP/plugins (can't be changed)"? What is meant by the "WP"? Does this mean that plugins and Wordpress features can't access the Custom Field? Not sure what the ramifications of that is quite yet, so not sure if I want to deny it or now.

Thanks!

3SixtyEvolve

Hi jonnylons

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member.

Great question, thank you @jonnylons. This is not covered in the Installation and Use Instructions, so many people overlook this very important little option. (We are in the process of updating all our instruction guidelines, so be assured that this will be updated

Now to get to your question. What does this mean:

Allow for WP/plugins
    (can't be changed)
    The WP and other plugins can use this custom field.

That setting decides whether WordPress itself and plugins other than CustomPress are able to see and manipulate that custom field and it's value.

Hope this makes sense to you.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know. If you're happy with the answer and your question has been answered, kindly resolve the thread.

Have a good day!

GinaB

3SixtyEvolve

Hi @jonnylons

To explain how this function would work I will ask you this: Have you seen some plugins like some Tweet buttons that add the short url to a custom field automatically when you publish the post? For instance like some plugins that use the bit.ly API?

This is done automatically. In the same way, this setting would decide if WordPress or other plugins can automatically manipulate the custom fields.

I hope this makes sense.

I will resolve this thread, but if you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Have a wonderful day!

GinaB