Allow multiple categories selection in Events+ front-end editor

I'm using the Front-page editing add-on to allow events creation on the front page. Currently, people can only choose one category when creating a new event there.

I would like them to be able to select as many categories, tags that apply. Similar to the back-end events editor.

• Dimitris

Hello there Rachel

Our developers considered that and pushed a fix for next version which adds checkboxes instead of select drop-down in the category selection.
    I'm attaching here latest beta version of Events+, please backup your site (all files and database) before testing it, or even better test it first in a staging environment, meaning a complete and exact copy of live installation into another location/folder in the same server, using a separate database.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Rachel

Hi there, I finally got around to installing this, and here's what I discovered:

It is giving me an error on the time and date format unless I tick no start time and no end time.

Also, even though I have ticked the categories on the front end form (capture 270), they seem like they're not actually being applied (capture 271)

I am probably going to delete this version and go back to the other one, which was working fine, albeit limited in capability to categorize events, since I do not have a staging environment set up.

I really wish the plugin had a twelve-hour format option for the time - in my experience, people aren't quick enough to know 24 hour time, at least in the US, because we don't use it too often here.

I'd also like to note that the export to gcal and ical aren't syncing with the actual times of the event dates - and that was before this beta version was installed and across two of my sites.

Also, if you're updating the plugin, I think it'd be awesome if it had the functionality of checking a box and having the event be shared to social media channels connected through Jetpack Publicize, like posts are shared. (I know this one is a pipe dream, but I thought I'd put it out there).

Would this be possible with this:

/**
    * Enable Jetpack Publicize Support for CPT
    * --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    */
    function wpse20150812_jetpack_publicize_support() {
    add_post_type_support( 'events', 'publicize' );
    }
    add_action('init', 'wpse20150812_jetpack_publicize_support':wink:;

???

• Dimitris

Hello there Rachel,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

It is giving me an error on the time and date format unless I tick no start time and no end time.

I gave this another try and I could replicate this is a local site of mine. I've already informed our developers about it, as this was already reported and fixed before. We'll keep you posted here about any development.

Also, even though I have ticked the categories on the front end form (capture 270), they seem like they're not actually being applied (capture 271)

I couldn't replicate that. Creating an event with frontend editor using no start/end time and multiple categories, gave this to me:

This may be caused by a conflict with another plugin, so I'll have to mention again a staging site. I really don't want to be pressing here, but this will be the safest option and it will add value to your workflow. :slight_smile:

I really wish the plugin had a twelve-hour format option for the time - in my experience, people aren't quick enough to know 24 hour time, at least in the US, because we don't use it too often here.

Appreciate the feedback on this, I shared it with Events+ lead developer. Hope I could provide a workaround for this, but such change will reflect in many places in plugin's code, so it's rather impossible without some major re-write.

I'd also like to note that the export to gcal and ical aren't syncing with the actual times of the event dates - and that was before this beta version was installed and across two of my sites.

This should be happening due to a difference between the timezone set in WordPress settings (Settings->General->Timezone, prefer UTC+/- instead of city selection) and the timezone used in your connected Google and Apple accounts. If you synchronize these, you shouldn't be seeing any differences.

Also, if you're updating the plugin, I think it'd be awesome if it had the functionality of checking a box and having the event be shared to social media channels connected through Jetpack Publicize, like posts are shared.

This should be pretty easy with a little change in the snippet you shared.
    Please try to add the following in a new MU plugin file like:
    wp-content/mu-plugins/jetpack-publicize-events.php
    (just create the /mu-plugins/ folder, if it doesn't exist already)
    and insert the exact snippet:

<?php
    add_action('init', 'my_custom_init');
    function my_custom_init() {
      add_post_type_support( 'incsub_event', 'publicize' );
    }

Please keep in mind that we're keen on having separate threads per member and per issue, so if you're having more queries apart from original issue, feel free to create new threads about them.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.