Allow users to create email accounts

Hey guys!

So, I have an interesting question! I would love it for my users on my multisite network to be able to create a free email account on my domain from within wordpress.

Now, I know normally this wouldn’t be possible but then I found this http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cpanel-operations/

This appears to be exactly what I was looking for yet this plugin has not been updated in 2 years so I am sure its not reliable now.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of another solution that will allow users in my network to do this? I found this http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cpanel-manager-from-worpit/ but not sure if it does the same thing as well from the front end.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide!

• Ajay213
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

One of the things I thought of doing was buying a similar domain name to my main, something like <mydomainname>.me and running it through the mail domain hosting with Outlook.com – http://domain.live.com

What they say;

How does it work?

We provide a customizable module you can install on your website. The module promotes open membership and lets visitors create their own accounts with your domain name. Or if you don’t have a website, you can put the module in an e-mail message.

Go to the Sign-up module page to customize the web module you use to advertise for sign-ups.

I tested it out with an extra domain I have sitting around, and you basically create a banner, when a user clicks on the banner they basically go sign up for an outlook.com account using your domain.

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Ajay

Wow thanks for the info. This is definitely very interesting but I guess my only issue with it is the fact that it would tie my users into being forced to use Outlook to send and receive emails using their new address.

At least from what I understand from what you stated. There is a great plugin called WP Vanity Emails but it still forces me as the admin to create them for them in cpanel.

• Ajay213
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well they can use any email client they want, it supports pop (and I think imap) and it has basically it’s own version of exchange active sync. But on the web they would need to use outlook.com, although you can cname it to your domain, and there is some minor branding possible but with a fairly small image (but I never got that far and played with it).

There’s pros and cons both ways for sure, my main concern with using my main domain would be people making inappropriate addresses (anything from something ‘admin’ related to ‘hotsexybabe’:wink: although that can be monitored like anything, plus I hate hosting my own email.

• Mike Price

Thanks! I am stuck at adding a MX DNS thingy ugh I thought I did the steps right but keeps saying that I haven’t. Been playing with it but to no avail. Maybe is wasn’t meant to be LOL I might get my host to do it for me over live chat (hostgator)

As far as inappropriate email addys thats not an issue with me since mine is an adult network anyway so I expect emails like “hotsexybabe” LOL

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Mike @thinktaiwan

I hope you are well today.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend either of them, I believe they would both achieve what you want, but it would be a big security risk and a lot trust placed in your users to have any access to the cPanel to create their email account.

I would recommend the outlook way that @ajay213 suggested :slight_smile:

Where about’s do you get stuck with the MX records and DNS?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member! Have a great weekend!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Mike Price

Thanks! Well I went into Cpanel on hostgator to add a MX record on the domain I was testing it on and it appeared I followed the instructions but it kept saying I needed to verify my domain by entering MX record and on and on it went lol

I may not have done it right. But I gave up on it for the evening it annoyed me. I may test it out again and just have my host live chat me through it

• Mike Price

Follow up question to all this if you dont mind. Since all mail sent and received by my users will be on my own personal dedicated server is it my right to monitor all email sent/received? I dont want anything illegal being transmitted via email on my own server (or spam even) so I feel I should be able to monitor this without any issues. But please, correct me if im wrong

Also, I am debating on whether to give my users the ability to log on themselves on my webmail server or just providing them instructions on how to set up their email using their own client such as gmail/yahoo etc. Is it safe to allow users access to the Webmail ?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this

• Ajay213
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’m not a lawyer, don’t play one on TV nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I’m pretty sure you have the right to monitor/filter the email however you like (google, yahoo, microsoft, etc all run their advertising programs through users emails to target ads for instance), but you’ll probably want a rock solid T&C written up for it just to CYA, and obviously this quasi legal advice is worth basically nothing. :wink:

As for the security side of it, it would greatly depend on which webmail software you would be running, some of them (typically built for the specific mail server) are quite solid, others I would be a bit concerned about.

• Andreza

@Castro Boy

I need that my clients (subsites) create email accounts as you posted here.

1) Have you used HiveMail?

2) Did you like?

3) Do we have to pay only once and we can create ilimited emails?

4) Can we create emails for diferent domains?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.