Allow users to create private pages from forms

Hi, I'm trying to setup a Membership site using your Membership Plugin & Buddypress with a specific goal in mind.

I want members to be able to access specific forms (using Gravity Forms) and then having filled out the form, the content is posted to a page which is private only to them.

This will building up their personal blogging area, the content of which has been created with the forms.

Where do I start?

Waiting to enable Membership until I know how to work backwards from this.

Many thanks

Daniel

• Daniel

Hi there Ari, that does sound like a good idea, because effectively I am wanting people to host their own private blog areas to explore ideas and then possibly post those ideas publicly.

I'm just on the start of my wordpress journey so need a bit of helping knowing how to implement a Multisite installation. I'm not clear how the multisite would still appear as one site to the user, maybe that will become clear.

Would you be able to give me the steps I need to take.

I've been downloaded the Membership plug in thinking I could use that to limit certain areas. Would I still use that or would the Pro Site pluginn manage that side of restricting pages?

Thanks for you help

Daniel

• aristath

I'm just on the start of my wordpress journey so need a bit of helping knowing how to implement a Multisite installation. I'm not clear how the multisite would still appear as one site to the user, maybe that will become clear.

Well, a multisite installation consists of
    a) the "main" site
    b) sub-sites.

The main site is where people will go to create their own sites and will hold the main pages of your network.
    The sub-sites are basically individual sites that users can create and can contain whatever they wish.
    To learn how to convert your single-site installation to multisite you can read this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

I've been downloaded the Membership plug in thinking I could use that to limit certain areas. Would I still use that or would the Pro Site plugin manage that side of restricting pages?

The Membership plugin is not multisite-compatible and can only be configured on a per-site basis. Users that are members on one site are not seen as "members" on another site. So if you choose to use it, you will only be able to restrict access to pages and areas of your main site. Furthermore, if you use both the Membership and the Pro-Sites plugin, your users will have to pay twice: One payment to gain access to the restricted areas of your main site, and a 2nd payment for pro-sites.
    On the other hand, Pro-Sites is a way to build your own business like wordpress.com
    Basically you can allow (if you wish) your users to have a basic free blog, and then add pro-sites levels to allow them to have some premium features.

I hope that helps you figure out which to use. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Daniel

Thanks Ari, the Multisite solution with Pro sites won't work then as I do want this to be a member's site where everyone can access each other's profile info.

So still stands that needing members to:
    " access specific forms (using Gravity Forms) and then having filled out the form, the content is posted to a page which is private only to them.
    This will building up their personal blogging area, the content of which has been created with the forms."

I did ask your live support and they suggested using http://wordpress.org/plugins/forceprivate/ but this only creates private posts, it doesn't publish them so only users can see them.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Daniel

• Daniel

Hi Ari,

What I'm trying to create is a membership site where members can have a private area to post their ideas or public area if they want their ideas to go public.

Without going into the Prosite option because i want everyone to be member on same site, is it possible to use Gravity Forms?

I got this information back from them, but this feels a bit complex.

"Regarding getting information out of the entries to display the data, I have written shortcodes in the past which would allow you to do this. There are no provisions in Gravity Forms to display the information inside posts, pages or widgets, but all the data is stored in your WordPress database, so you can always get it out if you want to. Here are a couple of the shortcodes I have written which allow displaying of certain data.

This code would go into your theme's functions.php file after customizing for your use:

http://pastebin.com/kHpaHQvi
    http://pastebin.com/u6yN846V"

There is a plugin which does allow Gravity Forms to publish to a Directory https://katz.co/plugins/gravity-forms-addons/ where you can even choose that they only see their own entries, but this is limited to this Directory structure.

So just so summarise, i'm looking to direct logged in user to forms which when they enter the information gives them a published page only accessible to them.
    i don't want the post to just exist in their Private section of Wordpress, it needs to publish so that they have a private diary.

It sounds like I could maybe use Prosites, but it might be a very complex way of just wanting to create a private post area.

With this information can you provide any more help?

Thanks

Daniel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.