Allowing Subscribers for Website Creations

Hi, firstly, I am really happy to have found your scripts & this is exactly what I want. However, there are some support questions that I would like to ask you.

1. I have installed wordpress and activated the multisite plugin in http://www.wedoweb.co

2. I've followed most of the instructions for some of the plugins that I've installed. I've installed Membership & so far everything seems to be good.

What I intend to offer are 4 packages.

Trial Plan: Newly registered members will immediately be subscribed to this 7 days trial plan. Within the next 7 days, the member can create a website, manage it & also choose different templates & plugins (enabled by master admin via multisite network)
As soon as 7 days have ended, there will be a message to tell them to upgrade to the premium plans.

Personal Plan:
Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 2GB storage

Standard Plan:
Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 5GB storage

Professional Plan:
Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 10GB storage

Basically, my intention is to allow members to be able to create their own website. I'm currently subscribed to a dedicated server.

I've done most of the settings but the only part I'm hanging right now is after user has signed in, in wp-admin, the member can only see
Dashboard
Home
My Sites
Support

How can the member be able to create his own website?
Example, after clicking on a create button, they will see:

Create Website
Use our sub domain
[ Enter subdomain name ].wedoweb.co

Use your own domain
[ Enter domain name ]

And once done, they will be able to edit their website just like a normal wordpress user?

Is there any plugin that I've missed out?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

It looks like you have both Membership and Pro Sites installed on your main domain. This causes a conflict because both plugins try to take over the registration process.

It is best to put membership in it's own site. So membership.domain.com - that way you can add content you want to control to that subdomain and the signup process won't conflict with Pro Sites :slight_smile:

It is likely that users are signing up through the wrong method right now. They need to be signing up through domain.com/wp-signup.php and that should give them the administrator role of their own site.

Create Website
    Use our sub domain
    [ Enter subdomain name ].wedoweb.co

Use your own domain
    [ Enter domain name ]

They will be able to select their own sub domain at sign up once you deactivate membership and give registration control back to Pro Sites.

As far as entering their own domain goes, you will need to install Domain Mapping if you haven't already and network activate that. Then setup a eNom reseller account as shown in the domain mapping usage guide:

Then users will be able to purchase domains from within their dashboard and have them automatically mapped :slight_smile:

Hope that helps Chris! Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Chris Thoo

Hey Tyler,
    Thanks for your prompt response.

Correct me if I'm wrong, so I should leave the http://www.wedoweb.co as the website for marketing information and etc. As for membership registration, I should direct them to members.wedoweb.co. When they register, they will immediately have a Trial account for 7 days. They will be able to choose other premium packages in which they will need to pay via payment gateways.

Next, now that the member has already subscribed via members.wedoweb.co, when they log in, they will log in via members.wedoweb.co/wp-admin in which they can create a website.
    Question: will that be tyler.wedoweb.co?

Right now, using the previous method, I managed to create christhoo.wedoweb.co. If I want to start managing my website, I'll need to go to christhoo.wedoweb.co/wp-admin
    But if I want to create another website I'll need to go to wedoweb.co/wp-admin
    And of cos, if I want to go to my members account, I'll need to open wedoweb.co/my-subscription.
    It seems that there are quite a lot of links to access. Am I doing it reaaaally wrong or there's actually a more centralised & simpler method?

Again, what I'm trying to achieve is for a user to sign up a free account to be able to manage the website for the next 7 days. And he'll be able to pay a premium price to upgrade to a monthly/yearly subscription. Can I do all these in 1 single platform?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

Good to hear back and thanks for the thorough explanation :slight_smile:

It sounds like you might not need the Membership plugin at all. You won't want to manage the Pro Site levels inside of Membership.

Instead you will want to create Pro Site levels that are the same as the Membership subscriptions you previously had.

Personal Plan:
    Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 2GB storage

Standard Plan:
    Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 5GB storage

Professional Plan:
    Same with trial except it will be either on a monthly subscription plan or a yearly plan. Comes with 10GB storage

You will need 3 pro site levels. 1 for each of the above and set it up accordingly. You will need to activate the "Upload Quota" module to set the storage limit.

You will also want to activate the "Pay to Blog" module this will allow you to lock down their site once the trial is up. Then they will be forced to select a subscription if they want to continue to have access :slight_smile:

You must select which level the 7 day trial gives access too. This is the one limit in your plan here, as they can't select the level of trial they want at sign up; however, if you give trial at the highest level and they end up only subscribing to the lowest level then they will lose access to the high level features accordingly.

I have attached some screenshots to illustrate some of these settings for you.

All payments are managed by Pro Sites in the above explanation. So you don't need to have Membership at all at this point.

Hope this helps Chris!

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. The modules I have pointed out are just based on what you've told me so far, more than likely you will end up using some of the others as well.

Can I do all these in 1 single platform?

Short answer - Yes :slight_smile:

• Chris Thoo

Hi Tyler,
    I've installed Pro Site and thanks! that's what I'm currently looking for.

I've got a few more questions.

Now that I've created all the packages, how will I be able to allow users to sign up a free account with me? Is there a shortcode or they'll need to do so in /wp-admin, in which I'll have to enable user can register from the wordpress settings.

I know in the membership plugin, I was able to generate or point to a page I've created (register, subscription, sign up, welcome etc).

Please advise. Thanks!

• Chris Thoo

Sorry Tyler,
    One final question.

Now that everything's working, I've created 2 links to be placed in my official website.

Basically sign up will be http://www.domain.com/wp-signup.php which works well.

As for login, I've linked it to http://www.domain.com/wp-login.php.
    But it'll link me to this page with the message below..
    =========

You attempted to access the "Wedoweb.co" dashboard, but you do not currently have privileges on this site. If you believe you should be able to access the "Wedoweb.co" dashboard, please contact your network administrator.

If you reached this screen by accident and meant to visit one of your own sites, here are some shortcuts to help you find your way.

Your Sites
    Chris Visit Dashboard | View Site

=======

When I click on Visit Dashboard, I will be able to do so because I was already logged on.
    Is there anyway to bypass the message above & immediately redirect the user to the dashboard?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

Glad you have been getting this all figured out so far :slight_smile: Good stuff.

As for that last bit, I don't know of a plugin or anything that can achieve that yet; however, this code snippet should do the trick:

function redirect() {
     if(is_user_logged_in()&& ($user->ID = 1)) {
    	global $current_user;
     	get_currentuserinfo();
     if ( !is_user_member_of_blog( $current_user->ID ) ) {
                    $blog = get_active_blog_for_user($current_user->ID);
    		$blog_url = $blog->siteurl;
                    wp_redirect ($blog_url);
        }}}
    add_action('wp_head', 'redirect');

Install this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/

Then paste the above code into it :slight_smile:

Let me know if that does the trick!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

You can try pasting it into your themes functions.php file; however, if it didn't work in the code snippets then it likely won't work in the functions.php either, still worth a shot though :slight_smile:

If that doesn't work then we might have to think of another work around.

Do you plan on having profiles for your users at all? Or just their own sites. When I was playing around with this sort of setup I was using BuddyPress as well, then redirected users to their Buddypress profiles on login. There is a list of their sites there as well. Just throwing ideas out there!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Chris Thoo

Yes I'll definitely want profiles for my users. I know that after the user has registered, they will be given the link to their website/wp-login so that's not much of a problem.

What I was thinking of able to do is to allow the subscribed user to also sign in from my main website, thus the Sign Up & Login links.

I'll try out BuddyPress later to see whether it's doable.
    Thank you so much Tyler! You've been a great help!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

No problem. Happy to help :slight_smile:

What I was thinking of able to do is to allow the subscribed user to also sign in from my main website, thus the Sign Up & Login links.

If you have BuddyPress network activated then every user will have a profile on the main site. So they shouldn't see that after-login page anymore.

I'll try out BuddyPress later to see whether it's doable.

Make sure you enable the "Site Tracking" component if you do play around with it. Then it will show each members sites on their profile :slight_smile:

Keep in mind you can also turn off a lot of the social components if you only want to have profiles instead of the full blown social network platform.

Let us know if you need any further assistance Chris.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Chris Thoo

YES!!!!
    I've did quite a fair bit of digging & finally found this script to be pasted either in functions.php or the code snippets that you've suggested.

function primary_login_redirect( $redirect_to, $request_redirect_to, $user )
    {
    if ($user->ID != 0) {
    $user_info = get_userdata($user->ID);
    if ($user_info->primary_blog) {
    $primary_url = get_blogaddress_by_id($user_info->primary_blog) . 'wp-admin/';
    if ($primary_url) {
    wp_redirect($primary_url);
    die();
    }
    }
    }
    return $redirect_to;
    }
    add_filter('login_redirect','primary_login_redirect', 100, 3);

Basically if the registered user is going to login http://www.domain.com/wp-admin, he will be taken straight to his own subdomain which is user.domain.com/wp-admin

:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.