Allowing users to submit content for review and restricting admin capabilities

I have BuddyPress and Membership 2 Pro installed and I would like to limit my members to submitting only certain types of content for moderation/review before publishing. How would I go about creating this structure? Will I need an additional plugin to define eWordpress user roles/capabilities?

Also for my membership sign up I require certain fields, such as address - which BuddyPress seems to handle okay, but was wondering if Gravity Forms can be a better solution to get the detailed user information I am requesting. If so how would I get the profile created with the correct information populated and assign the proper user role and membership level.

Thank you in advance.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lee,

WordPress by default has roles that allows your users only submit not publish content. So role that can only create but not publish is contributor (please see here lists of capabilities for roles https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#Editor).

If you need custom role with different set of capabilities, then you have to use additional plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Also for my membership sign up I require certain fields, such as address - which BuddyPress seems to handle okay, but was wondering if Gravity Forms can be a better solution to get the detailed user information I am requesting. If so how would I get the profile created with the correct information populated and assign the proper user role and membership level.

It is possible to use GravityForm as registration form, but please note that Membership 2 Pro and Gravity are not integrated.
    If you are using another plugin for registration, be sure to add the following code to your theme’s functions.php file so the Membership2 plugin knows about it

add_filter('ms_frontend_handle_registration', '__return_false');

I'm not familiar with GravityForms but it should handle registration and adding custom role to the user - however joining membership will be still required step that has to be done through the Membership 2 Pro.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Lee Regan

Hi Kasia,
    Thank you for the hint on the user role plugin suggestion - that should help me. As for roles, I am aware of what Wordpress comes with out of the box. I am looking for more of a "publishing" workflow solution - where an admin can kickback user generated content and requested changes or accept it and schedule it for publishing.

As for the rest of handling the Membership 2 Pro stuff - I might be depending upon that plugin for no reason, ergo trying to over complicate things. My client requires users sign up for membership to their organization through their website and a user needs to be approved as a member but there is no fee. No a "Member" can create content that is a part of a "publishing" workflow where an "editor" can provide feedback and send back for changes or approve and schedule for publication. We would want the "original author" or "member" information to associated with this content. We also want to allow a searchable directory of "members". Lastly - Members will be to be added to "chapters" in their local area.

Given a bit of the background - in your opinion - do you feel Membership 2 Pro is the proper plugin to use - or should I simply be using BuddyPress and utilizing BP Groups and a custom user role to accomplish the goal?

Thank you in advance and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Rupok

Hi Lee

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I am looking for more of a "publishing" workflow solution - where an admin can kickback user generated content and requested changes or accept it and schedule it for publishing.

I can understand your target, but I'm not sure about the step by step workflow you are trying to achieve. If you could tell us more specifically, we would be able to give you more specific suggestions/instructions.

We would want the "original author" or "member" information to associated with this content. We also want to allow a searchable directory of "members". Lastly - Members will be to be added to "chapters" in their local area.

All these can be done but I'm afraid, these features don't come bundles with neither BuddyPress nor Membership 2 Pro. And these will require advanced custom coding which is beyond our support scope. Though you can create a directory of members with our "WordPress Members Directory" plugin. However, we have a "Jobs Section" where you can hire developers for custom coding. Please keep in mind, they are not associated with us in any way. So please communicate with them well before you make any payment.

Do you feel Membership 2 Pro is the proper plugin to use - or should I simply be using BuddyPress and utilizing BP Groups and a custom user role to accomplish the goal?

If there are chances of having different level of users and different types of content, I personally believe Membership 2 Pro won't be an overkill. Rather, it will be very handy when you will want to make segments of your users and contents and protect them from different aspects. Your members are joining for free, but with Membership 2 Pro, you can also protect content based on user levels. And at the same time, you can also run BuddyPress with Groups and definitely a Custom User Role Editor plugin. IMO, it will be the best setup.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.