Alphabetize the Directory

I have just configured the Directory plug-in, but am surprised the listings are not alphabetic or divided into categories. Is there any hidden control over the listings?

http://maverick.cshaffstall.com/listings/

Also, I've been unable to get the payment system (PayPal) working. Do you have additional help for this topic as well?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello cshffstall,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question.

Listings in a directory are categorized and I can even see that they are assigned to categories on your site. The default "Directory page" though doesn't display category list but all the listings.

In order to change it please create a new page on your site (a regular WordPress page) and put this one of these shortcodes on it:

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

or

[dr_list_categories style="list"]

The first one shows category list in a "grid view" and the second one uses classic "list view".

You may then link to that page from your menu and/or anywhere on your site.

There's also some more handy shortcodes that you may find useful. You'll find them enlisted and described on a "Listings -> Settings -> Shortcodes" page in your site's dashboard.

As for sorting. Listings are sorted by default from newest to oldest. This could be changed but it would require some changes in plugin's core code so those changes would be lost upon plugin's update.

As for PayPal payment. Did you get any error messages or unexpected behavior after setting up PayPal credentials in plugin or do you need more detailed advise on how to configure PayPal there?

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• cshaffstall
    • Flash Drive

Thank you. I wasn't able to use the shortcodes in the help files, but I now realize it was due to the quote marks being represented by actual quote marks instead of HTML equivalents.

I used the grid shortcode and it appeared correctly, then I tried your second shortcode for the list view and now the grid shortcode will not work at all. Any ideas? I tried creating a new page and still the shortcode will not go back to grid view.

As for PayPal, I'm just surprised at the technical level required to set this up. I was hoping for a video to walk me through the steps. I get to PayPal and can't figure out how to get the API information.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello cshaffstall,

I hope you're really well today and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

I used the grid shortcode and it appeared correctly, then I tried your second shortcode for the list view and now the grid shortcode will not work at all. Any ideas? I tried creating a new page and still the shortcode will not go back to grid view.

Would you mind granting us support access for your website in order to have a better look on this? You can find details on how to do so in https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/. Please do inform us if this is a live or testing site as well. :slight_smile:
    I remind you that you can find all shortcodes in YOURDOMAIN/wp-admin/admin.php?page=directory_settings&tab=shortcodes

As for PayPal, I'm just surprised at the technical level required to set this up. I was hoping for a video to walk me through the steps. I get to PayPal and can't figure out how to get the API information.

The most detailed documentation that I can see currently in PayPal's website is this one -> https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/apiCredentials/#creating-and-managing-certificate-credentials
    I normally don't trust other sources due to changes that may have beed in PayPal. Did you proceed with these steps? Are you experiencing any problem during a specific step? Please advise! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello cshaffstall!

We're not notified automatically about support access being granted. Since you never responded to Dimitris post - and the question he asked you about whether the site is "live" or a "staging/dev" site - we didn't see that the access was granted. I'm sorry for causing confusion.

Having said that I checked the list of sites assigned to your account and it seems that the support access that you granted has already expired. It is time-based and it automatically shuts itself off for security reasons.

Could you please grant it again and let me know here when it's granted? I apologize for inconvenience!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello cshaffstall!

Thanks for granting access.

I visited your site and I assume you were referring to the "Dining Guide by Category" page, is that right? I noticed indeed that there's been the "grid" shortcode used but the list view was used.

It's now a grid view again and all I did, surprisingly, was... re-saving the page. I admit I'm not sure what happened here but my bet is some caching issue (possibly on the server side). The page is now in a grid view.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.