Already built a ecommerce site with Wordpress 3.8

Already built a ecommerce site with Wordpress 3.8 and WooCommerce and it appears it might not suit my needs so I am looking to create a new ecommerce web site with Wordpress and MarketPress?. With this site I will want to be able to host other sellers and their products (which I guess is called a marketplace?). With this I have 3 questions:
1.) Is this a product that a beginner could use and get a site up and running in a couple of weeks?
2.) Will I be able to allow access, add only, to site for these sellers to add their own products?
3.) Is there a payment system that will allow a percentage of the sale to go to both the seller and to me as the owner of the site?
Thank you.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Paul,

I hope you're doing great today! :slight_smile:

I'll take a look with you on these items inline.

1.) Is this a product that a beginner could use and get a site up and running in a couple of weeks?

Using all the defaults of WordPress, Multi-site, MarketPress, your theme and other such considerations, yes. That's possible.

This does need clarification though, that as you get more specific as to how you want it all to work, more time is required. It depends largely on that, what specifically you want to achieve, how you want it to work.

If you're fine with the default settings in everything, it's really quite simple.

Most importantly though, we're right here to assist with your questions and concerns. Anything you get stuck on, just ask us. We wouldn't want you losing any time so just let us know whatever comes to mind!

2.) Will I be able to allow access, add only, to site for these sellers to add their own products?

I'm not totally sure I understand your question but it sounds like you're asking if "only" sellers would have access to adding their own products, is that correct?

If so, yes, that's definitely doable and obviously the optimal way to do it. By default, users who create a site will have Admin access. Other users, by default, will have Subscriber access when signing up.

That will ensure only Admin can add content, including products, of course.

3.) Is there a payment system that will allow a percentage of the sale to go to both the seller and to me as the owner of the site?

Yes! The included PayPal Chained Payments gateway is what you'll want. To clarify, you'll need to set that up through PayPal.

That process does take a bit of work to setup, not through MarketPress, but through PayPal. The following can be of some help with it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-x-process

EDIT: I just realized I didn't mention, this is all assuming you'll be using MarketPress for this purpose. Just wanted to make sure to clarify that! :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Let us know any questions you might have on any of it.

Thanks!
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.