Alt tag SEO problem

Hello,
In the past 12 months we have redesigned our site with the DiviBuilder program within WordPress and have chosen to structure our custom jewelry pages as project pages to best utilize the organization and customization of metadata in order to better serve our site visitors and search engines. We've recently run into an issue that doesn't allow us to optimize our site best, we're hoping you can help address this problem.

We currently do not have the ability to customize or edit the alt tags on our gallery pages (i.e. https://abbysparks.com/custom-jewelry/engagement-rings/). The projects that appear in the gallery do have alt tags associated with the featured image but this is not getting passed through on the gallery page. Rather, we are seeing that the project name is getting used at the alt tag. We would like to have the ability to add and edit the alt tag for the images that link to our project pages. Within the DiviBuilder tool the only way to update these alt tags is to change the project name, which we don't want to do.

Is there the ability within the DiviBuilder to change the current alt tags on the gallery pages or can you assist us in changing the alt tags?

For example: on the custom engagement ring gallery page we have The Brooke ring which currently appears on the gallery page as alt=The Brooke.
We would like for this alt tag to reflect the description that we included upon uploading the image:
"The Brooke a custom platinum and diamond engagement ring made with a 3.0 carat diamond; 1.2 ctw diamonds; 0.89 ctw diamond melee custom made and designed by Abby Sparks Jewelry, Denver, Colorado."

Simply using the name of the ring doesn't help Google understand the contents of the image.

We appreciate any insight you can offer.
Thank you,
ASJ

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Stephie,

I'm afraid customizing Divi is a bit beyond the scope of support tickets here. That may be a better subject for a general community question since it deals with a third-party product. However, I can take a look for you and see if I can find anything to get this working for you. However, since this is related to a third-party product, I cannot offer any guarantees. But I will do my best.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Stephie,

I've looked into this further and I'm afraid I don't have an easy answer for you. The way the portfolio alt tags are specified at the code level is that the alt="" text is using get_the_title(). Which basically means whatever title you give the project item is the title that will be rendered in the alt tag. Since Divi is calling this function directly in the alt tag instead of creating a variable that can be filtered, I'm afraid this cannot be changed without manually customizing the Divi Builder core files.

See: ./wp-content/plugins/divi-builder/includes/builder/module/Portfolio.php, line: 560

My suggestion at this point would be to contact their customer support https://www.elegantthemes.com/forum/ and ask them if there's some way to accomplish this without the need to customize their plugin's code. But, to be honest, if there is, I didn't see it in the code.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.