alternatives to wordpress importer plugin

The WordPress importer tool keeps crashing on me... stalling and only importing a small portion of the content.

Any suggestions for surefire alternatives? Have tried three other plugins and they're all sucking at importing a few hundred posts. (Wp All Import, JC Importer, WP Advanced Importer.)

Wish WP would get there act together and fix their plugin, but in the meantime... suggestions from the WPMU pros?

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @peter_harris, haven't spoken with you for a bit here! :slight_smile:

The WordPress importer tool keeps crashing on me... stalling and only importing a small portion of the content.

Does it happen to time out after a certain period of time? I'm curious as to whether the execution time for PHP might need to be increased here.

Have tried three other plugins and they're all sucking at importing a few hundred posts.

Could you elaborate as to how they're not working as you hoped? Does it time out after a certain period of time, or is there something else going on here?

Please advise,
    Michael

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Hey Vaughan,

Can't say that I was timing it, I just know that after trying three times, I was never able to get all 75 posts to import. Always crashed the browser. Any way to determine the 'php execution time' on my machine and what is preferred?

The other odd thing that I noticed is that when trying to delete the posts to try again, I was getting frequent errors while sometimes only trying to delete 20 posts a time. I think (but can't be sure) that I was seeing a 504 error message and some kind of nginx server error page.

As to the plugins... would take too long to detail. Seems that several were focused on importing non WP XML docs which were going to take quite a long time to set up.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Peter,

Your max_execution_time looks ok, it is set to 300 seconds.

Our dashboard plugin actually has a short version of phpinfo built into it, so you can find out certain settings via the dashboard should any staff ask for these details in future, You can find them in;

Network dashboard > wpmudev > support > system info

But those settings look fine to me.

256M memmory_limit
    100M post_max_size
    max_execution_time 300

A 504 Gateway timeout means the actual servers are not responding in a timely manner across the network.
    As you say you're on nginx, there are actually 3 places where you should set execution time & not just in php.ini.

If script times out on the nginx side but php is set higher, the script will still continue to run but you will receive a 504 error.

So you might still need to tweak the nginx config a bit too and set all to 300 as nginx could be set at 30, 60 or 120.

This article might help. https://rtcamp.com/tutorials/php/increase-script-execution-time/

Or ask your webhost if they could look into it, and ask if they can set them all the same.

especially with nginx php fpm

fastcgi_read_timeout

aswell as request_terminate_timeout

As an alternative, also, you might also like to try the Ultimate CSV importer plugin which is pretty awesome.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/

Hope this helps

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Peter,

Is there any chance at all you could change the xml to a CSV, not sure if you still have the source to export from? but worth a try.

Have you tried using a different browser too? Sorry, i'm just guessing here after searching on google for that error, as you've probably been doing too.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Just found this via search. The default WordPress Importer is broken as of the WP 4.4 update (maybe since 4.3), and has problems on certain versions of PHP, etc. It's a known fact, and there's a replacement being worked on, however it's command line only. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but there's a post on make.wordpress.org somewhere, about the new importer. Sounds much better, but hasn't been released yet, unless you want to use the CLI.

I'm looking for an alternative myself. Let me know if you find anything, I'll do the same.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.