Am I allowed to use usage instructions on my site?

Am I allowed to cut and paste parts of the plugin usage instructions for this site to my FAQ?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Mike,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Assuming that you wish to provide help/support to the users of your site, please feel free to do it, although please don't copy entire pages and do not mark this content as yours :slight_smile: So, I think the best way would be to give a short answer (you can just copy and paste it from our instruction) and then add a link to our original instruction. For example for Domain Mapping this could be like this:

<a href="https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage">Learn more</a>

I think this is a reasonable compromise :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions, please ask!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Mike

I am providing white label solution so linking to your site from my site isn't an option as it will cause me issues with customers who are paying monthly for plugins and show every competitor exactly what they need to copy me.

The content won't be publicly viewable or indexable by search engines as it will be added to admin help section. The white label videos you have are good for wordpress but it's the plugins that really need instructions as some are quite complicated for the average user.

If the answer is still "No" then I will have to write my own :slight_frown:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Mike!

Let's me put it this way: if the content isn't publicly viewable and your customers are paying you for the use of the plugins, then that's ok. Assuming that the situation is like this: you run some kind of network where users can register and signup for a site and, for a fee, are allowed to use some additional plugins on this sites - as long as those plugins are network-installed and available to the users of your network.

Otherwis please note that every written work published either by members of our community as well as by our authors (including technical writers) actually constitutes an intellectual property.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Mike

Thanks for the reply Adam.

The only content I am referring to is the instructions under "usage" tab on the each plugin page. I do not want any sales material or blog articles or anything else. There are just some handy step by step instructions on some of them that would help me save some time.

I assumed this would be a common request so thought you might have something set up like you do for general wordpress training.

So, My understanding from what you said is I may use excerpts from the usage section of the plugin page in my admin area help section as long as I am charging for access.

If I offer an initial period of public beta access to the site for testing must I disable this content? (my intent to charge after beta period will be clearly marked on my site)

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Mike!

So, My understanding from what you said is I may use excerpts from the usage section of the plugin page in my admin area help section as long as I am charging for access.

This isn't exactly my point and I'm sorry for misleading you. What I meant was that this would be okay as long as you do not "re-print" our manuals in open public but only give them to the users of your network (hence WP Multisite). That being said, I'd better include my colleague @Timothy in this conversation as he's more experienced with such issues and I wouldn't like to give you wrong information.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

It's not really a common request, although we do get it from time to time, sometimes more often than others. Most people want to create their own, some more personal and inline with their business requirements and direction.

What Adam was saying is that if the content isn't public, you don't really have to give credit if it's only for instructional use. I'm fine with you using our usage instructions in that way. The only time we're not really cool with it is when full articles are republished without consent, and publically, thus appearing in search results. Or when someone lays claim to the content "written by", "Owned by", "Copyright...", that kind of thing.

I hope this clarifies everything.

All the best :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.