An EBAY/ETSY type shop using Wordpress & Plugins

Hello
We're new to WPMU and would like to know if it is possible to have an Ebay type Etsy site using Wordpress with the MarketPress plug-in.

We have seen some examples of market places that connect individuals to shops on https://premium.wpmudev.org/showcase/ but we would like a market place that connects an individual to an individual similar to that of Etsy - whereby the payment is taken by us (the middle-men) via PayPal and we take our commission and pass on the remainder to the seller.

Questions:
Is this possible?
If so, which plug-ins would we require?
Would it be best to purchase a Wordpress shop template or a blog template and add the appropriate plug-ins?
If so, which plug-ins would we require?
If not, what would you suggest to be the best way forward?
What type of "middle-man" payment options are available through PayPal for this type of WP site?
What other development requirements would you suggest we consider?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Philip John

Hiya and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sure, you could achieve this using MarketPress and you wouldn't actually need any other plugins!

Simply install MarketPress in your WordPress Multisite installation and make sure you enable the global cart feature in the settings.

As for themes, you might want to take a look at these two which have been built with MarketPress in mind:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/simplemarket

MarketPress also comes with several built-in payment gateways including PayPal, Authorize.net, Google checkout, 2checkout and Moneybookers. It's also possible to add your own!

Cheers,
    Phil

shulta

Thank you for your reply & warm welcome!
    The themes that you directed us to don't have the functionality that we require.

Questions:
    1. When you say "Simply install MarketPress in your WordPress Multisite installation" where can I get WP Multisite? Apologies in advance if this seems like a silly question.

2. Would it be possible to do the following:
    a) Purchase a WP blog theme like this one -> http://themeforest.net/item/actme-creative-personal-and-blog/full_screen_preview/534897
    b) Customise it the look of it to suit our requirements.
    c) then install the following:
    - a WP plug-in to turn it into a shop
    - a WP plug-in to make it a multi-site
    - MarketPress

Basically what I am asking is, is it possible to turn a WP blog into an Ebay type Etsy site for buyers and sellers?

Please, do, let me know if this makes sense.
    Many thanks again for your assistance.

Philip John

WordPress Multisite is a feature of WordPress and I'd suggest you read this article which will explain all:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/

You should be able to use any theme with MarketPress as it simply uses the custom post types feature in WordPress.

When you install MarketPress, you then just need to network activate it and it'll be available to all sub-sites, providing multiple stores.

Phil

Tony

This sounds like a great idea.

But with marketpress mulit-site wouldn't each store have their own payment gateway?

It sounds like shulta wants a solution where he takes payments as a percentage of each sale off the top, and then pays the vendor, sort of like clickbank pays their "vendors."

I just can't image shulta's vision without a custom application, and a really strong relationship with his merchant account.

However, etsy doesn't do what he described. They take a fee, essentially like a fancy tricked out classified ad, and they make money whether or not the vendor sells anything, and the vendor gets 100% of the sale. So with that respect, marketplace might work, or the wpmu dev classifieds plugin.

Just a few thoughts.

shulta

Hi Phil & Tony
    Thank you both for your input!
    I've had a read through WPMU docs that you linked to and the WP installation.
    I've already purchased the domain for my business.
    Just need to get some decent hosting.
    I've read through the infamous 5 min WP installation guide (and the detailed guide) both look very straight forward to me.
    The installation of themes on WP seems straight forward to me as well.
    The only thing I can't get my head around is how to turn a WP into essentially an Etsy-esk site, for my business, using the plug-ins because I don't know which ones to use.

Yes, Tony.. spot on with your comments - cheers!

What I want is *exactly* what Etsy does!
    Etsy charges the seller :
    - 20 cents for each item listed.
    - a 3.5% sales fee of the total sale price of the item sold.
    Fees are paid using either a credit card (that the seller puts on file when they sign up) or via PayPal. Each month Etsy add up the total amount in fees, and on the last day of the month they send the seller an email detailing the fees & associated sales. The seller can pay their bill at any time manually using the filed credit card or their PayPal account.

Questions:
    Can this be done using just Marketplace or would I have to use something else as well?
    Would it also be possible to create a community and blog just like Etsy?

Once again thank you in advance for your assistance.

doncgarner

I'm about to create the same the same type website (Etsy/Ebay)...What we need to know is this:

-Can members/store owners sign-in using a plug-in instead of using WP login, from Frontend, and NOT thru My Admin Pannel (Backend), or so they can't have acces to the backend admin?

-Can Members/store owners create a website/store within MY NETWORK to sell goods or services...but the montezation is controlled by Me the Admin of the site...but it allows THEM to set-up what features they need (Shipping, Privce, etc) from when they sign-in and set-up their profile and store?

-Do I have to install Multisite in order to create this type website (Etsy) or can it just be from a single installation of WP?

-Can members create a profile page, AND have their OWN WEB-STORE with a direct address? How do they get their own url inside of MY Network?

-Can I charge 3-5% on every sale..It deposits in my paypal account...and the member/store owner get the rest of the sale portion into their paypal account. Also, can this be done with just one shopping cart system plug-in. I just purchased Marketpress 2.7 yesterday.

-I need controll over the entire network of stores, as well as the members/store owners can have admin control over their store, with NO Access to the MAIN WP Admin of MY NETWORK?

-What are the BEST templates to use. and can you use a custom made template for Wordpress?

hpidriver

Can members/store owners sign-in using a plug-in instead of using WP login, from Frontend, and NOT thru My Admin Pannel (Backend), or so they can't have acces to the backend admin?

Yes this is possible but requires customization and/or several plugins. Start here - http://webnware.themetailors.com/store/products/tt-marketpress-frontend/

Can Members/store owners create a website/store within MY NETWORK to sell goods or services...

Yes, you must configure WP Multisite then network activate Marketpress plugin. Your members will register and create their own Wordpress site/blog within your network, and then they will be able to use Marketpress themselves.

...but the montezation is controlled by Me the Admin of the site...but it allows THEM to set-up what features they need (Shipping, Privce, etc) from when they sign-in and set-up their profile and store?

As the Network Admin, you can control which payment gateways your store owners can use. Store Owners also set up their own shipping prices and terms.
    The money is paid directly to each Store Owner when a customer purchases any item.

-Can members create a profile page, AND have their OWN WEB-STORE with a direct address? How do they get their own url inside of MY Network?

They can create pages under their own sub-site, so technically yes. If you are trying to make a standardized profile page, more customization and/or plugins is needed. New Blog Templates would let you copy the same page anytime a new blog is created. Domain Mapping would help you with letting members get their own domain name.

Can I charge 3-5% on every sale..It deposits in my paypal account...and the member/store owner get the rest of the sale portion into their paypal account. Also, can this be done with just one shopping cart system plug-in. I just purchased Marketpress 2.7 yesterday.

There is only one specific way to take automatic commission from every sale. You must meet all the following:
    1. Register and get approved for an App ID at paypal's developer site http://www.X.com
    2. All your stores must use Paypal Chained gateway for checkout.
    2b. All your store owners must have a verified business or premier Paypal account.
    3.You cannot use Marketpress Global cart.

I need controll over the entire network of stores, as well as the members/store owners can have admin control over their store, with NO Access to the MAIN WP Admin of MY NETWORK?

As the Network Super Admin, you have admin access to every single sub-site created on your Network. Disabling the dashboard for your store admins is possible. (see the first link I posted)

Hopefully this gets you on the right direction.