An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting.

Trying to back up root site including plugin and themes folder, I get this message:

An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting.

And it remains ‘stuck’ at the start of the Themes folder bar…

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ravanh, you are either hitting a timeout in your PHP or a memory limit. Within wp-admin to to Snapshots > Settings. Look for the section ‘Server Info’. This should provide details on the memory settings and the PHP timeout. Can you provide that information back to me?

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @paul thanks for replying so quickly :slight_smile:

PHP runtime information

Display Errors Off

Error Reporting 4983 – E_ERROR, E_WARNING

Magic Quotes Off

Max Execution Time (seconds) 240 The value displayed can be adjusted by Snapshot PHP scripts.

Memory Limit 64M – WP_MEMORY_LIMIT defined by WordPress wp-config.php.

Open Basedir Off

Running PHP in Safe Mode Off

ZLib Compression Off

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ravanh, Ok. Thanks for the Server Info. Below that section in another section labelled ‘Memory Limit’. This controls how much memory Snapshot will try and use. Try setting this 128M. Since you are archiving files Snapshot needs some memory to work.

Then try running another Snapshot. The big concern with files is the size. I have a member last week with similar problems. The backup just would not finish. We exchanged close to 30 messages. He finally gave up and gave me FTP access to the site. Found out he had 3 files in how wp-content/uploads that we over 2G each. These cannot be backed up. So try and check the section you are backing up.

If the re-try fails. Then try a snapshot with just media. Ir just plugins. See if you can get each section to complete individually.

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

@paul

Yes, I tried with just media and that did pass… I’ll have a go at increasing the memory limit. I did not think of that because each preceding process showed a peak memory usage of around 30MB and nothing about memory was mentioned in the error message.

I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ravanh, yeah memory issues are hard to trap in PHP and show the error to the user because it happens and PHP just quits. So when you run Snapshot manually you should have seen the memory information show above the pretty progress bars. It should show what the memory limit setting is and also the peak memory used during the processing.

Glad this resolved your issue.

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

@paul, yes I did keep an eye on those memory usage values and they remained well below 40MB but apparently the memory spike hit and stopped the process (…Aborting…:wink: before the peak value could show it.

In any case, great support! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.