Analytics report percentages don't match previous period

I’ve had monthly reports running for my sites since January 2019 but in this latest report I noticed that the percentages for my analytics didn’t match with the statistics from the previous month’s report.

For example, the total Visits in the May 1st report were 162 but in the June 1st report were 297, an increase of 83% but the report showed a decrease of 113%. I have no idea where or how it’s calculating this number.

It should be noted that I have another separate report for this same website that runs on a weekly basis. Not sure if that might be responsible for these inaccurate percentages.

This was affecting this site, but I may need to go through my other sites as well to check the analytics calculations.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi AtmoVantage

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

The number of reports scheduled for the same site shouldn’t be affecting that as upon generation the “report engine” is fetching required data from The Hub each time “freshly”. However, you’re right – these numbers doesn’t add-up in any way and doesn’t seem valid to me as well.

I tried to check that on my own test sites but I’m afraid I don’t have enough traffic and no analytics enabled for the long enough period at once (due to frequent configuration changes of these sites related to lots of various tests that I’m running on daily basis) so I’d like to ask you for a bit more help: could you please double-check your other sites and reports as well to see if that issue affects only this specific site and/or type of report or is the same for other sites of yours?

Let me know please as I’ll need to include our developers in the case but depending on whether it happens to this site or to others too, we’ll have to take a different investigation route.

Looking forward to your reply,

Adam

• AtmoVantage
    • Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your quick response! I checked out a couple of my other sites and find the statistics to be off as well. I'm unable to identify an obvious rhyme or reason for the numbers that are presented, but when I do the calculations manually the percentages and sometimes the direction (positive/negative) are inaccurate. See attached images.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi AtmoVantage

Thank you for sharing these screenshots!

We’ve been checking this but ti seems we’ll need our developers to look into this on our end and investigate the issue. I’ve passed the case to them and am awaiting some feedback on what is happening and why.

Please keep an eye on this ticket and we’ll update you here as soon as we get to know more.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi AtmoVantage

I hope you’re doing well!

I just wanted to give you a quick update on what’s the status of the case.

It turns out that the calculation is made in a different way and we actually do need to fix that. The fix will need to be applied at two “sides” – in the WPMU DEV Dashboard and in The Hub and the code is partially ready for this put it has to be done/completed on both “ends” and our developers are still working on it.

I don’t have an ETA yet but I hope that’s still a good news – the source of the issue has been identified and we’re working on providing a full solution.

Best regards,

Adam

• AtmoVantage
      • Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All

I just wanted to check in on the status of this problem. My reports are still clearly showing incorrect gains/losses for my visits, as you can clearly see in the below screenshot from one of my weekly traffic reports. The chart shows the current period visits consistently higher than previous period, but the percentage incorrectly shows a 20% loss.

I hope this issue is solved soon because these obvious errors are embarrassing to explain to clients and undermines trust in these statistics.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.