Announcing our new Translations Area!

This one has been asked for a million times by you guys and we've finally come through. I think in a pretty awesome way.

The new translations area of our site provides a way for you to share translations of WPMU DEV plugins and themes as well as an easy way to keep your translations up-to-date.

The system allows current members to approve and make changes to existing translations, create and import new language sets, and export language files that are properly named and ready to drop into our plugins/themes.

Visit it now and share any of your own translations! We've setup all our products in there, and added any existing translations we could find to help get you started. Enjoy!

• Jorge
    • HummingBird

That's even more awesome. Definitely you guys from WPMU Dev know what to do :slight_smile:

Kudos Aaron.

Edit: Just a suggestion, is it possible for the translators to "flag" something for revision, and perhaps to add the proper context/comment for that if needed.
    (For instance, there's an item on Appointments+ that what's needed to translate is the name of the App itself. Technically, proper names and such are not translated. So how to proceed there?).

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Free members can contribute pending review. Our full members can then accept translations

Full members have more rights, so currently their changes go live.

(For instance, there's an item on Appointments+ that what's needed to translate is the name of the App itself. Technically, proper names and such are not translated. So how to proceed there?).

Never really thought about this before. When using in a Multisite, wouldn't network admins want to translate that so it's localised for their members?

Cheers.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Any paid member can reject a translation. If it should be unchanged you can just copy it verbatim. You can also view a history of translations for a particular string. Unfortunately there is no commenting functionality in GlotPress at the moment.

Many of the base translations for our plugins include the plugin header lines, which is neat as it allows you to translate those strings so they will show a different language in the plugins page.

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Just uploaded a bunch of Swedish translations.

Will these translations (over a certail % completion) be included in future updates of the plugin? It would be really near to be able to update a plugin without having to add the language manually every time...

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Qlof

about updates, I think in a future releases (3.8 or?) of WordPress, the translations for plugins and themes can be put in another folder /languages/themes/ or /languages/plugins. thus avoiding the issue during updates.

Maybe I misunderstood, but this will already be the case for language packs for the core in 3.7, someone please correct me?

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

I edit this comment as I now have 4 requests :slight_smile:

1 - could you add Translate to the admin bar here?

2 - I would like a way to see everything what was done in a given language without needing to click on each plugin project in the Translate home

3 - could you separate plugins from themes in the list of projects?

4 - is there a list of the most used/downloaded plugins? (in order to translate those first). Or can you simply tell here the 10 or 20 most popular plugins?

Thx

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

1 - could you add Translate to the admin bar here?

I already requested, I believe @Aaron will be adding this. :slight_smile:

2 - I would like a way to see everything what was done in a given language without needing to click on each plugin project in the Translate home

I don't believe this is possible in GlotPress. I could see how that might be handy though.

3 - could you separate plugins from themes in the list of projects?

We looked into this, in GlotPress when you do parent and child they still all show on the main index. It doesn't really make it any tidier.

4 - is there a list of the most used/downloaded plugins? (in order to translate those first). Or can you simply tell here the 10 or 20 most popular plugins?

Screenshot attached. They're not in any specific order, but they are some of the most popular we have. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Thx Tim and time for new questions :slight_smile:
    (I edit as there was wrong info, sorry)

What happen if I have a .po file, but not full (from an older version), and upload on a non-fully translated existing set here? I explain, For example for the MarketPress plugin, about 60% is translated to French in the new tool, what if I upload my .po file? if some strings are different:
    1. will they be replaced or not? (including the already filled ones would be replaced by empty ones?)
    2. and then the previous translator will "loose" his percentage of all strings translated?

also, as I talk about MarketPress, it's strange, in the French set at least, there is no name when I click on details of each line...
    3. who translated it?

I actually do not want to take the place of someone else, and if an other person is translating a module at the moment, I do not want to walk on his work,
    a solution would be to see the date of last translation (along with the name) and find out why MarketPress strings have no name attached.

4.last question, if someone has a file but do not want to create an account here, then he looses the possibility to earn points, right? then one of us can upload the file?

• ulir
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Awesome!
    I tried my hand at the German translation of the Blogs Directory Plugin. After copying the files to the plugin folder I see most of my translations, but some are missing (hide sites, title of site page...).
    Am I doing something wrong?

• Aaron
    • CTO

@Patricia, I had to do some research and unfortunately yes, .po file imports are authoritative and overwrite previous translations (including the author).
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/po-import-overwrites-translated-strings

However missing strings won't get overwritten. So if there a 500 strings translated, and a po import is done with 300 in it. There will still be 500 translated, or maybe more if some of the 300 are different than the 500 set. It will never delete a translation. You can even use this to get started with a new translation. Example i've exported a language from marketpress and imported into membership. They shared live 20-30 of the same strings, so those were imported and the rest ignored.

@ulir, do those stings appear in the translation here? We might have to update the original strings for the plugin if they are not included.

• ulir

@Aaron, the strings do appear but they aren't correct. "Blog Directory Settings" should be "Site Directory Settings", "Hide Blogs" is named "Hide Sites" and "Title of Blogs page" is "Title of Site page" in the plugin

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

thank you for your answer Aaron,

As you say "imports are authoritative and overwrite previous translations ", I'll make sure then to not overwrite anyone else work

I can do that: I'll export only "untranslated", import in my own GlotPress install, import my translations there and export only those to import in WPMU GlotPress, then only the strings wheich were untranslated are there in...
    (and I'll make sure also people do not erase my translations if those are correct)

and your last comment about get started with a new set, gave me an idea... of a huge po file with all the translations, as some are similar, this could be a time saver..

also, and this is one more Q, is this intentional that the dashboard string (in all plugins, the one that says to install WPMU Dev Dashboard) is not the same in all plugins?

thx for all :slight_smile:

PS/Edit : it's so funny to see familiar and friendly faces in this topic you linked to. I live in the same city as Jenia (and know her from WP Meetups) and met Naoko at latest WCEU. nice :wink:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

@Patricia

also, and this is one more Q, is this intentional that the dashboard string (in all plugins, the one that says to install WPMU Dev Dashboard) is not the same in all plugins?

It's possible, but as different projects have different developers assigned to them that could also be why in the past.

We are making some changes to that nag.

this sounds really cool. great idea. are the points only earned via members 'gifting' or does wpmudev also give some? if so, how many?

It's mainly from members.

We did discuss the idea of giving points per translation automatically, however felt that it would be too easy to game the system. Having members give points for translations seemed the most logical, they are most often more fluent in those languages and are best placed to assess, correct, etc.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Thank you Fred for the rep points, I'm not sure where to post that :slight_smile:
    I wish WPMU dev had a private message system in order to thank you,

and to kind of organize the French team of translators with you (Fred) an others :slight_smile: as there is still work to do, let's do this together!! :slight_smile:

Cheers

• David
    • Flash Drive

Hi, I just translated the 'New Blogs Template' plugin into spanish - spain. Hope the community likes my translation.

I have not translated the name of the plugins itself, whenever an error message is shown giving the user information about the plugin. I guess it's the right way to do it. If not, let me know and will be updating all my translations.

• Thomas
    • New Recruit

Hi Aaron and all :wink:

Please give as a second german :wink:

We use german_Du and german_Sie, if you don't now simple google
    "what is the difference between du and sie in german".

The DU is when we speak with friends or family, and the SIE ist like more Business.

Many Thanks

• David
    • Flash Drive

Hi, I've just found a translation string missing in version 1.5.6 of the FrameMarket Theme. It's in line 8 of the searchform.php template file. The string is 'Search'.

Would it be possible for you guys to add it? thanks a lot

• Wouter Jan Kok

About those points, thanks for that!

After finishing the final translation will the original translator locked?

I mean after someone else made a translation, all I have to do to get my name listed is open the file and click through the file accepting all input. Doing so might feel like stealing points from the original translator.

Hope it does make sense.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

@Wouter Jan Kok

well I already corrected some spelling mistakes in French, so yes it came in my name, eventhough I would have liked those to stay in their name, anway...

if you lock it lose all sense of community, and avoid corrections.

Of course if someone it repetitively going to your fields and resave them under their name without any change (we can see that in the string history, clicking on "details", then on "All translations of this original"), I guess you could report to the team.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.