Announcing the MarketPress e-Commerce Plugin Beta!

THIS IS AN UNFINISHED EARLY BETA RELEASE! PLEASE USE FOR TESTING/FEEDBACK ONLY. Not recommended for a live site, though you should be ok activating it in just one blog for testing.

MarketPress was developed to be a good solid, simple, extensible e-commerce foundation. Much work went into detailed but simple Shipping and Gateway plugin APIs, and very robust themeing support with it’s own set of completely documented template tags. Also it makes full use of custom post types, taxonomies, etc. of WP 3.0 so it creates NO messy custom tables for each blog like all the other shop plugins out there.

Please give us your feedback and bug reports here - test, tease, complain, etc. I’m sure there is plenty of bugs I’ve missed. Right now it’s just the basic blog-by-blog store, the unfinished cool stuff is commented out till it’s ready. There will be a number of beta and RC releases of the next month. Have fun!

Many features still in development:
* Network wide features/indexing
* BuddyPress integration
* File download support
* Stock Tracking
* shortcodes
* grid style layouts
* additional shipping plugins
* additional payment gateways

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Alright, I only have got to play with it for 30 minutes or so, but I'm gettin' tired and I'd like to give some initial feedback as I probably won't have time to do so for a few days.

First Impression: Solid. Simple. Well-planned user interface. Seriously, it's obvious a ton of planning went into how someone would go about creating a web store. I've used everything from wp e-commerce to oscommerce to foxycart and this is incredibly well put together. Nice attention to detail in so many areas. Everything seems clear, in it's place, and where I expect it to be.

I tested this plugin with wp 3.0 and the new wpmu business feature theme (way to go Tammie). If someone is experienced with WordPress and/or the themes here they will have no trouble getting the store up and running. My favorite was that I knew I wanted to show the shopping cart in the sidebar and I thought "well, it'd be nice if there was a shopping cart widget" and of course, there it was. Very easy to set up.

Love the custom post-type and taxonomies. Brilliant and much needed in the WP community.

Having the ability to give order/tracking numbers that people can log back in and check is awesome!

Couple questions/further thoughts:
    On the "products" page in wp-admin I never could get anything to show up in the "shipping" column even when adding flat-rate shipping prices for each option in shipping and adding extra shipping to the individual products. I've attached a screenshot.
    Any thoughts on some kind of inventory system? Would this be separate or extension to the basic framework? It's severely missing in most WP solutions. Having it here would be killer.
    Shipping options such as USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc. Additionally, the option to put in shipping by weight and have live calculations on the site based on zip code.
    Store Themes: A person could also style their store in the regular style.css of their theme correct? What about "child" store themes? A huge seller would be if WPMU DEV themes came with support for the MarketPress (love the name btw) plugin.
    Along those same lines having the ability to provide the typical "grid" layout for the store page or product-category pages is something people are going to want. It'd be cool if you could just check something off in the Store Presentation and have the main store page show "featured/newest list(4 or 5 or whatever)" from each product category and then have each product category be displayed as a grid. I bet you've thought of this already. It'd be easy enough to style this based on the .li class on the store pages.

OK. That's it from me for now. Seriously it's looking great and I know represents a ton of investment. Kudos to you, Aaron. Hope you have a nice vacation somewhere in your future (after you finish this plugin of course! :stuck_out_tongue: )

• Aaron
    • CTO

Thanks!

Shipping Column - That's not supposed to be there, whoops. Also the sale count is as yet unfunctional. I'll be adding an Inventory column as well, probably color coding either the number or full row when running out.

Grid - actually it's already an option on the presentation page, just commented out as it didn't do anything yet :wink: The store page is actually the only "true" page so you can move it around in nav menus and such. I will be making everything in it based on shortcodes, with a default layout something like you suggest. Then you can make it however you want to. I think it would be cool to add a button to tinymce that inserted MarketPress specific shortcodes as well, though that would be a bonus.

Shipping Plugins - I plan to add a weight based plugin as well as part of the default set. Calculated via API's will be later down the road.

Themes: Check out the docs on the Presentation page. It's incredibly easy to add your own css theme and mod it as you would like. Of course you can also select "No Theme" and put css in your theme's css files. There is also a detailed readme.txt on how to create completely custom page templates for all the store pages.

Also be sure to check out the other widgets:
    Cart - Fully ajax based, add an item and it shows in the cart instantly.
    Tag Cloud
    Categories
    Product List - This one is awesome. You can make multiple widgets of product lists with full preferences, like order, order by, num products, etc. You can show what you want like image, excerpt, buy now button, etc.

• Stef1978
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Aaron

Sounds like a very promissing plugin!
    One thought/feature request..
    With buddypress integration.. Does this mean that users of a buddypress community can add and sell their own products to this shop? Or that every user can create a webshop?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Webshops are tied to blogs, so with multisite enabled BP users can create blogs/stores. I am looking for more ideas on exactly what BP features could be added. Some kind of social integration. Some ideas:
    Featuring products bought on member profiles/activity - with privacy prefs of course
    Ability for members to promote products from the network - a "like" or "recommend" button that adds to their activity, maybe integration with affiliate

• Aaron
    • CTO

@wave - probably around a month of updates. It is totally functional now, and I think it's live ready with the next beta or so. It's more about features that are unfinished, and a nifty opportunity for you guys to give final feedback suggestions before a feature freeze.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Aaron: Not sure about the how more if you didn't have a actual payment method but it was credits or something - I see your point about not fitting so well so will just remove it as an idea for later thought so not to distract from the core idea. Was thinking along lines of credits or non monetary transaction lines. Could though fit in users selling stuff maybe but that is probably adding too much to the mix at this point.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

OK, now you're just showing off... :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm noticing some minor styling issues: There's no space between the original price (with strike-through) and sale price.

Also, going form the Store page to a specific category brings some weird results (check out screenshots):
    - Products are listed multiple times. This is even true with one item in a category (first screenshot)
    - The TITLE link actually shows the date of the products.
    - A specific category page bring in everything (multiple times) rather than limiting to that category (second screenshot)

LOVE the new Inventory tracking and warnings. Works for me - and I've been wanting a simple system for this for awhile. Would it be possible to replace the "Add to Cart" button with "Sold Out" once the inventory hits 0, or is this something to add in individual shopping themes?

Keep up the great work and I'll keep trying to break it!

Edited for screen grabs, my bad:
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2crakax.jpg
    http://i29.tinypic.com/30toyzn.jpg

• Aaron
    • CTO

Price - the default styles aren't quite done yet :wink:. Do you think it should be a space or linebreak?

Category lists - works fine for me on 2010. This is largely a theme dependent thing because it uses the default theme archive template. Can you switch themes and see if that makes a difference?

Sold out - good idea! Will do. Already the ajax gives you a warning if you try to add too many to your cart.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hey Aaron,

I figured the styles were not finished, but I had to find something right?? :smiley:

Changed the theme to default twenty-ten and still seeing all products being listed - twice no less. I don't have a link since I'm just testing locally, but it would be something like:
    http://example.com/store/products/category/sample-category/
    Twenty-ten does look better. I was testing with the Business Feature beta template so maybe I'll mention the category issue there? Or maybe it's something to do with my install if you're not seeing the same result. I tried it with a couple other themes, but seeing similar results. I'll look into it a bit more.

Glad you like the sold out button idea. I saw the ajax warning and it works and get's the job done. I'd prefer to let people know up front that the item is sold out. Don't want to "lead them along" with the add to cart button. heh.

• Creative Blogs
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

As usual this looks like another awesome plugin, so well done to you guys.

Quick question though, would this sit nicely alongside the Membership plugin? So users can have a membership site and also sell items via a store? (I'm not talking about full integration where only paid members can purchase)

I realise that this is mixing the two business models somewhat, but there might be scenarios where users might want it (e.g. a membership based fitness site selling their own merchandise). I know its still in Beta so this is the sorta stuff we'll be testing but I just wanted to check whether there was something in the two plugins that precludes them from playing nicely together.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hey Aaron,

Just curious as to what payment gateways you all will be supporting? I know Supporter has access to PayPal and Amazon Payments.

In the past, I've used a service called FoxyCart to integrate with WordPress - they support CDG Commerce which is pretty great. I'd like to switch over to the marketpress plugin in the near future, but I have clients who don't really care for paypal. Can you give a hint as to ones you'll support?

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok. Great. Authorize.net seems pretty good to me. They even have an affiliate for web devs. I've read about 2checkout as well. I'll admit ibdont know much about the pros and cons of the different gateways, but this client is absolutely against paypal. So, I have some researching to do!

Google checkout is pretty simple but people know the name so they tend to trust them.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep testing.

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@masonjames Authorize.net is the way to go if you are based in the US and can get the merchant account. If you have that, you don't need something like 2checkout.

2checkout is great if you don't live in the US and would still like to accept US dollars and have an alternative to Paypal.

Their fees are quite high as well.

For us Aussies its a pain to get a merchant account that accepts USD, so it's either Paypal, 2checkout or Clickbank products.

But authorize.net is one of the best (if not the best)

• feedmymedia
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Interested in the planned multisite capabilities.

Would love to be able to display common products across network sites by plugin. This need is beyond the capabilities of an affiliation plugin, as I need products to be centrally managed and then pulled into the network sites, the actual payment could happen on the primary site if need be.

Does this make sense? Have you considered such a shared catalogue concept?

• roobarb

I now this might not fit here, but have you thought of adding in a really simple option for booking single time slots out of a day. Would be perfect for consultants, and freelancers alike. I've not found anything simple that fits so far while I've been looking.

Really liking it so far though! Really excellent job!

• Aaron
    • CTO

well i was talking more like how wpplugins.com is setup

You'll have to wait and see :wink:

Would love to be able to display common products across network sites by plugin.

Sitewide indexing is coming soon to feature products from community stores (or your own stores).

I need products to be centrally managed and then pulled into the network sites

If thats what you need I can't see a reason to not have only one store maybe divided up by categories with a customized theme to really separate them. It seems weird to me when people want to use multisite but not have siloed content. WP by itself is flexible enough if you need content together.

and even others since all "concurrents" have many gateways...

First off we are planning as many as possible, but keep in mind that the others are 3 years of development ahead of us, and this plugin is aimed at the more specific niche of making it simple for your multisite users to run a store, so for them the simpler the better when it comes to gateways.

I now this might not fit here,

Ya, definitely a different plugin need entirely. You can't just use Google calendar and/or a service like freshbooks.com? If you can't tell I swear by freshbooks...

• strategicblend

That did the trick! It was just a 404 error page previously.

Also, does this now or will this have the ability to tie into your membership plugin? Specifically in the scenario where a membership from the "membership" plugin could be listed in the store with other products?

• strategicblend

I'm cloudy on how the coding would work but here are some thoughts...

* It would ultimately look and work just like the digital download functionality.

* It would have to be something that would only work if you had both plugins installed.

* You would set your membership levels up via the membership plugin first, and then marketpress would see a membership level and automatically add it to the store as an item (unless you disable that ability via the plugin options). OR you could take some form of "sync code" from the membership level and use it when creating a new item to tie that item back to the membership.

* When a user purchases a membership in the store, they would check out via paypal (or whatever gateways you integrate). Just like a download, once payment was confirmed their download (or in this case the membership) would be authenticated.

* Could the "purchase history" be attached to a user's profile if they're a member?

The reason I'm a big fan of this idea is because we deal with many membership sites who either want to sell exclusive merchandise to those members OR make the membership signup/payment process and the "buy something" process one in the same so its a quality user experience.

• Aaron
    • CTO

* Could the "purchase history" be attached to a user's profile if they're a member?

That's already built in. It's saved to a cookie or their username if logged in.

Programatically it would be a real challenge because memberships are subscriptions, where products are a traditional cart. It would be a strange integration to somehow create a subscription on the side at the same time as normal purchases. I know it could be done with paypal, but other payment gateways would be a bit of a nightmare.

• strategicblend

Gotcha....

What about selling a "token" or "auth code" in the store that you would use to then redeem a membership? Basically you'd buy the coupon code in the store and then plug it in to the membership creation page to make that membership free?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Of course, this plugin is in beta... BUT throwing caution to the wind and giving it a go, I believe the digital download portion is already built into this plugin (it's just not enabled).

I was able to get it up and running successfully by simply removing the commenting from line 1356 in marketpress.php.

I wouldn't recommend this plugin for a live site yet though. :stuck_out_tongue:

• saraswati1111

Hi,

I'm trying to test the plugin on a local MAMP installation and am having problems saving products. When I save product it saves in the one test category that is set up, when i go back to product it shows all the other categories from the non products and the product doesn't get saved.

Sorry if doesn't make sense, hard to explain, basically I enter all the info for a product and save it and it doesn't get saved.

I'm using wordpress 3.0 running multisite. The marketpress.php and marketpress folder are both installed in the plugin folder.

i'm excited to help with this project and get it running, this and the membership plugin are great projects.

• btray77

+1 for clickbank integration

Also, I've not looked at it yet, but I'm wondering how do I programmaticly insert products? I'm assuming your using the custom page type so would I use wp_insert_post and wp_set_object_terms?

Thanks

-Brad

• Aaron
    • CTO

custom page type so would I use wp_insert_post and wp_set_object_terms?

Yes. Make sure to save the post type as 'product'. You would just need to look through the code to get the format of the product details fields also, like price, sale price, etc which you will add with add_post_meta().

• pearsoncomm

I am using the new beta of headway theme & i got this error.
    Warning: Missing argument 2 for MarketPress::filter_nav_menu() in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/marketpress.php on line 949

I dont know if the issue is with headway or with your plugin but i thought i would report it to you anyway.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere before, any plans for "wishlist" creation?

Don't actually have any need for it at the moment, but could see people requesting it so figured I'd ask now. I mean, it's not like you have much going on development-wise right now, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I have two separate queries about this, so will make two posts, just to make it simpler :o)

Right at the top of this page, so far up people are getting a nose bleed, Tammie mentions credits, and this is something that could work quite well. Maybe as an internal gateway alongside the others? This could then say, for example, $5 or 50 Credits.

Users of the site could be awarded credits for various things, and then they could use them to buy items from the store.

This is probably getting far too advanced now, but here you go anyway. The store could have things such as linking in with the Supporter or Upgrades plugins, allowing you to unlock certain plugins, extra disk space, etc.

Is this possible?

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I am setting up a community site, and one of the things I am adding to this is holiday cottages. Is it possible to link this plugin to allow visitors to make a payment for this, with some kind of date checking (to ensure the cottage is available)?

I also have such things as jobs, events, etc and it would be good if payments could be made for this in a simple way using the store. Maybe allow them to write the post, and once their payment goes through, it would either go live, or send an email to let me know that a certain post has been paid for.

• Green Lab
    • New Recruit

Hello everyone. I am one of the new guys on the block so this is my first post. I had some thoughts regarding the new cart system. To expand a little on the post from FeedMyMedia:

Interested in the planned multisite capabilities.

Would love to be able to display common products across network sites by plugin. This need is beyond the capabilities of an affiliation plugin, as I need products to be centrally managed and then pulled into the network sites, the actual payment could happen on the primary site if need be.

Does this make sense? Have you considered such a shared catalogue concept?

This is similar to what popped into my head when I first saw this. We are experimenting with WP 3.0 Multisite to use it as a cloned site system. Our client has a product line that she is setting up an affiliate program for. Currently the store is a Joomla/Virtuemart solution using iDev Affiliate as the affiliate management tool. She is thinking of offering the sites generated through Multisite to give the partners a themed site and place their affiliate banners and links into their sites.

My thought was this:

Create a master store that could be cloned out into the Multisites, all using the product catalog of the super admin cart (or maybe off of a Blog Template-created site if it needs to be slightly different than the master). Tie in affiliate tracking from something like your Wordpress Affiliate plugin. When visitors go to the Multisites, instead of clicking on an affiliate banner they can go to an actual store and not leave the Multisite. The purchases go through the master store and payment is processed by the super admin's payment gateway. The affiliate tracking then tracks the sales generated by each site owner's cloned store and assigns the appropriate commisions.

Another thought:

Using a datafeed (or multiple datafeeds), create a blog network for something like Amazon Affiliates, and have the ability to automatically generate a new site per category (or other criteria). Each site would then be a targeted blog site with it's own affiliate store for a particular niche or category of merchandise. This could tie in to other plugins like Auto Blog nicely as well for additional content.

I am new to this Multisite thing so I may have gotten some of the terminology or jargon wrong.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

yep same here :slight_smile:

+1

I inform you by the way that I am now interfacing all payement plugins (supporters, membership, and so on) with WEBINVOICE, a billing plugin that just... work and integrate maaaaaany pâyement gateway.

We are writting a framework (as paypal one) to integrate the billing capabilities to that with currency management. So I have 1 only framework for all payement gateway.

Starting with supporter. We'll do it with market place as soon as published an usable :slight_smile:

• coburnenterprises

Hi Aaron, I'm new here but I signed up for a year so I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. I am excited to see your ecommerce solution. I have been considering the get shopped ecommerce but would prefer to go with yours since you are part of WPMUDeve etc.

So I am trying out the plugin. cool so far - but wonder when you'll add the shipping api's and will you include USPS and UPS right away or will Flat Rate be what we get for now?

Thanks,
    Harmony

• Judies
    • New Recruit

Trying marketpress out - couple questions:

1. Will there be an option to have multiple choices for an item, ie: dog collar choices: red, blue, green

2. Will there be an ability to create desperate "pages" for like items to sort them better ie: page for dog collars, separate page for toys, separate page for grooming, etc.

The site I am testing this for is an individual who does pet sitting, grooming and sells supplies. So far the test has all products appear all jumbled together on one page.

Those were my major wants so far. I will keep trying it to see if anything else comes up.

Thank you,

Judie

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

hello,

i'm new and i have been working on setting up marketpress... and i have tons of questions so get ready :slight_smile:

i will stick with one for now.. i installed and got it all working.. now testing it and when i go to my store/products/ page and then click on the link to the test product to go to /store/products/test-product/ page i get a "Page Not Found The page you were looking for was not found." but yet in looking in the admin area the product url is set to: /store/products/test-product/

then when i try to go to the test category page /store/products/category/test/ it does a redirect to /store/products/test-product/

gina

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

thanks aaron.. i should have seen that. i am sure i looked right at that several times.

i am using your MU theme and the shopping cart widget is not appearing within the left column.. it is bleeding over to the middle of the page.. (see screen shot)

thanks,
    gina

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

when testing registration for my site after clicking the link in the email to activate the account the page was out of whack.. (see screen shot).

i am using BuddyPress Business 2.9 theme

is there a theme you would better recommend for using marketpress in an etsy knock off kind of way?

thank you,
    gina

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

Featuring products bought on member profiles/activity - with privacy prefs of course
    Ability for members to promote products from the network - a "like" or "recommend" button that adds to their activity, maybe integration with affiliate

i love this idea...can't wait for those features..

and brings me to my next set of questions..

i am trying to accomplish a "marketplace" of shops and i was wondering if this were possible:

the frontend of my site http://www.domain.com would be something like etsy.com where:

1. a shopper could view highlighted or new added stores or products on the front page?
    2. a shopper could join and have access to only the network of blogs/stores made by sellers and participate in the social side of buddypress?
    3. sellers could sign up/subscribe to have a store/blog from the frontend so that they can only have a store or blog if they subscribe to the monthly fee?
    4. when sellers sign up can the store plugin and other plugins already be pre-activated on their dashboard to simplify set up for them?
    5. if a seller's subscription payment doesn't go thru or is canceled does it automatically disable their store/blog?
    6. on the frontend on the http://www.domain.com can there be a category list of the types of stores in the marketplace narrowed down by the type of store they have? like: jewelry, clothing, art etc?
    7. is there a way to limit how many websites/blogs they can create?
    8. and last.. is there a way to theme/customize the member's/seller's dashboard/backend?

i am just typing to figure out the best way using your plugins/buddypress/marketpress to accomplish a social marketplace of many stores that can be featured on the main site.

sorry for so many questions...

thanks,
    gina

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Gina, you could accomplish #7 with this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/limit-blogs-per-user/

For #1, There's many ways to show off newly added blogs/users though to get exactly what you want you'll have to customize things a bit. Depending on your desires, you may look at the Blogs Widget and Users Widget on this site. If you're using BuddyPress this will also give you ways to categorize or group your vendors.

For #8, As for customizing the look of the admin area, it depends on what you're wanting to accomplish. I'm personally a fan of the Fluency Admin Plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/fluency-admin/) but we also have an Easy Blogging Admin plugin here that has a toggle to greatly simplify the admin interface.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

If you're using BuddyPress this will also give you ways to categorize or group your vendors.

i am using buddypress... how can i go about grouping my vendors on marketpress?

thanks so much for your feedback and help mason :slight_smile:

gina

• damianedwards

Hi

Can anyone help with this error message I am getting when I try and activate MarketPress?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function home_url() in /home/sites/unibanner.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress-gateways.php on line 150

Thanks

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

as you know i have been getting errors everywhere.. and today i decided to wipe everything and start with a fresh install. i only have wpmu, buddypress & marketpress installed in mu-plugins dir. it seems to be working fine besides when a user logs in and clicks on dashboard from the admin bar you get these errors:

(it's on a white page.. no template/graphics)

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274

if you click on dashboard again it goes away and takes you to the dashboard.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

argh... this is STILL happening on first login when clicking on dashbaord:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

i did another fresh install and this time i only activated WPMU and installed MarketPress and then click on admin dashboard and i get Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274

i reload the page and it goes away.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

ya i did try that but it didn't work. i did like 10 or more fresh installs and it is finally working.. not sure what was different cuz i tried so many things.. argh.

I DID however get the "Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274" again on first time sign up logins.

then i reload the page and it goes away and the site works fine.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

espyd: I had trouble with a theme last week, I'd try various things and it just wouldn't do as it was supposed to, then a plugin went wrong. I tried it on a different domain and it worked. later I readded my domain to my hosting and it works fine :o/

My point is have you tried it ona different domain, just in case? It sounds stupid, but everything else was the same , same host account, same files.

Sometimes computers don't make life as easy as we were told they would in the Jetsons.

• Aaron
    • CTO

First off, can you confirm you get that same error without marketpress? That's a core wp function, it's saying that the $wp_rewrite global has not been initialized somehow. I'm begining to think your server/host is jinxed :wink: For starters a proper host will not display that error, you should only be able to see it in your logs.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

i can without doubt confirm i do not get that error on a clean install without marketpress installed.

i deleted everything and started from a clean slate and started with installing WPMU and tested sign up, activation and login and no errors.

the errors didn't start until i installed marketpress... and it only does it on the user's first login.. not on a second return. when i log in and get the error i just reload the page and dashboard loads properly.

• Aaron
    • CTO

And do you mean new user, or on first login to new blog? I'm wondering if it's thrown from the install script.

Try changing around line 257
    //add action to flush rewrite rules after we've added them
    add_action( 'generate_rewrite_rules', array(&$this, 'flush_rewrite') );

to

//add action to flush rewrite rules after we've added them
    add_action( 'init', array(&$this, 'flush_rewrite') );

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

i'll try that.. but i even contacted my host just now and tech support even went thru the trouble of signing up to try to see the error and they ended up getting the errors i originally had when he tried to activate:

(10:06:38 PM) Christopher Ic: There was an error activating your account, please try again.
    (10:06:46 PM) Christopher Ic: It's asking for an activation key.

can you please take a moment and try signing up so you can see first hand as well? www. espyd .com please?

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

ok so i somewhat have marketpress working with supporter but i am still getting that error upon first login after new account sign up.

and the shopping cart checkout process acts really screwy in ei browser.

also, my other concern is how can i make marketpress a premium plugin with supporter if it isn't listed there? shouldn't look in /plugin/ dir as well as /mu-plugins/ for possible premium plugins?

thanks,
    gina

• Aaron
    • CTO

Sorry, make the change to around line 257 in the marketpress.php plugin file. I'm hoping that will fix the error.

As to the supporter thing, currently to make it a premium plugin it needs to be installed in /plugins/. I will be adding an option for that when sitewide features are finished.

• damianedwards

Hi there

Not sure if Im missing something here but when I create a new product and hit Update the URL is not created. Should it be created automatically same way as a post, or do I need to create the product pages manually.

Also, where do I upload an image for a product?

Thanks for your help.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

aaron.. thanks for taking a closer look at my error issue. i just don't know whatelse to check. do you need anything from me?

it's still doing Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274 after signing up and going to dashboard for the first time. but it doesn't happen on second or any logins after that.

thanks,
    gina

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

well... i ended up removing marketpress from plugins directory and tried installing marketpress in mu-plugins so i could make it a premium plugin and the error i was talking about went away...

but now.. i get this...

1. i set marketpress as a premium plugin in options and when i did a test sign up it did not restrict me from creating products as a free member.

2. after trying to update presentation page in settings i get this:
    Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/xxxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-content/plugins/marketpress.php on line 3617

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/xxxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-content/plugins/marketpress.php on line 478

3. from product page i clicked on dashboard and got this:

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/xxxxx/public_html/espyd.com/wp-content/plugins/marketpress.php on line 330

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

still getting this error guys.. installing it in /mu-plugins/

i really would love for this to work.. and is mostly why i became a member here.. please help.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

ok - i just did a fresh install of WPMU and Marketpress on a NEW DOMAIN... i didn't even install BuddyPress and this is the error i get again on new user's first login:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_page_permastruct() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/lavasea.com/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 274

so it is MarketPress for sure.. and nothing having to do with WPMU because i tested a sign up and first login with only WPMU installed with no errors.. once MarketPress is installed and a new user signs up this happens.

please help

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

this is going to be such a great plugin once it is done by the way...

on another note.. i just noticed something else...

but i did a test purchase (on a member's site) and everything went fine except on the way back from paypal after i was asked to confirm purchase it tried to send me to http://sub.mydomain.com/store/shopping-cart/confirm-checkout/ which a confirm-checkout page does not exist.

anyone else run into this?

thanks

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

so.. i hired a programmer to fix the errors and it's gone.

but i still have this issue:

but i did a test purchase (on a member's site) and everything went fine except on the way back from paypal after i was asked to confirm purchase it tried to send me to http://sub.mydomain.com/store/shopping-cart/confirm-checkout/ which a confirm-checkout page does not exist.

and the thing again here is when i reload that page.. then it loads fine but says "no items in your cart"

other then this.. it works great.. i've tested live purchases now with no problems but that.

• Aaron
    • CTO

confirm-checkout is a virtual page. You won't see it in your page lists. Did that give you a 404?

so.. i hired a programmer to fix the errors and it's gone.

Do you mind sharing what he did or send the modified version through to aaron @ incsub com. It'll save me a bit of time when I go to tackle it.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

ya i know it's virtual.. and no it was a broken link error. but it's just weird that if you reload the page then it will load and says "no items in your cart". seems like it isn't posting right the first time then it does on a page refresh??! i saved the source code of the page right before you click the button before you get the broken link error. if you want i can send you that too.

also.. i was wondering.. are the product entries in any way able to be treated as blog post entries so that they may come up in the results using the Global Search plugin?

ya i will send you the files me modified.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Here's a fun little experiment:
    With any theme that's using the new wp_nav_menu function, activate the MarketPress theme. Then create a custom menu that includes links to the store page (for example). Then shut off MarketPress. Not only does the virtual page disappear in the menu (which would be expected) but nav_menus.php in the backend doesn't load. The only way to fix your broken menus is to reactivate MarketPress, remove the store links and then deactivate MarketPress. I think this'll throw people off as they may not remember that they had a link to a MarketPress item (I didn't). Anyway, just something to add to the list, I spose ;D

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

ya i realize now it would be wishful thinking that this would be ready for me to use any time soon.. again i am getting more probs and issues coming up with it.. i have spent too many days on it.... so i am removing it and moving on to other things.. i will be looking forward to it's final stable release.

thanks

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I'm holding off for a stable release at this time, so many other things are running through my mind right now, it would be unfair to the little mouse on the wheel insoide my head to give hime more work.

Maybe you should release it at Christmas. It seems that is the perfect time for a stable release ;o)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Aaron,
    Did a little more testing. The problem comes up when you use MarketPress to create a Nav_Menu item with a "Product Category".

Do this, then disable MarketPress. Now if you try to access Appearance>Menus you'll be presented with an almost entirely blank page. (There's one 'li' bullet point at the top left in firefox).

Going back, re-enabling the plugin. Then removing any product categories and saving fixes the issue. I've tested with several different themes and menu items, but product categories seems to be the one causing the trouble.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

About Tax management

Hi there.

Well, as all ecommerce solution out there you have a problem. the VAT management.

At the moment, ther is NO plugin that can manage SEVERAL VAT RATE by product CATEGORY

This is a mees, as in fact it is now impossible to use any of this solution in all europe, and all countries using differents rates.

for exemple :

Books : 5.5
    Food : 5.5
    Computer : 19.6
    CD : 19.6

And it is different by european country, or for me, in morocco which use the same concept.

Please please please take that in consideration. Even wp e commerce, webcommerce DONT take that in consideration. we MUST have the possibility to affect a VAT rate BY CATEGORY !!!!! and so create several rates. And so for the bill ! The VAT amounts MUST be mentioned, on differents lines in the bottom !

VAT 5.5% : 11.6 €
    VAT 19.6 % : 154.36€
    Total ATI : xxxxxxx €
    for example

If you do so, you will be the ONLY WP ECOMMERCE solution offering that !

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I agree, VAT can be a real problem. In the UK we are a bit better off as anything with VAT tax added is the same figure, but then different things have different rules. Adult clothes have VAT added, but not childrens clothes.

Not a problem for me though, I don't know how it works in other European countries, but in the UK you only have to charge VAT if you are VAT registered (meaning you can claim all the VAT you spend back). If you aren't registered, you don't have to charge it.

Don't get me started on Europe ;o)

• Aaron
    • CTO

I worked very hard to have a simple store plugin that could support the majority of tax situations. I'm afraid we won't be going beyond that. The assumption being the main point of this is to offer simple stores to your network members, creating an online marketplace. If you want more power than that I firmly believe you should not be using wp but an actual ecommerce software.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Maybe a way around it is to add the tax to the overall price and say something like (inc.VAT). That way you are covered.

It would be difficult to add such a variety of taxes.

Another possibility, would be to add the tax per item, or have two prices, one for those in Europe and one for those outside Europe.

With every country in Europe having different amounts of VAT it would be impossible to compute properly. For example, I am in the UK, so do I pay the amount that the UK charges or the amount Morocco charges? If the former, which I think is the case, you would have to put the various VAT amounts for every country, and those outside Europe wouldn't have to pay VAT at all.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

I worked very hard to have a simple store plugin that could support the majority of tax situations. I'm afraid we won't be going beyond that.

Ok i know that. But it seems simple to allow VAT affectation to product categogy instead of or optionnaly to product categories ! Just havin a "tax 1" tax2 tax 3 option that we can give to a category !

Otherwise in fact, this wont be usable in europe :slight_smile: nor many (so many) countries that use several rates by categories. Is it so hard ? At least let the possibility to affect a specific rate to a product...

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

I think so, category/tag listings are main glaring problem right now. They just show all products.

That could be an issue because I would want to sell Ads based on category right? i.e. 250x250 box, would have time based ad and impression based ad (two different pricing structures).

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

As a swede, my biggest issue with e-commerce software is usually payment options. Systems like Magento has swedish payment options and that's good, but it's completely overkill if you want to run a small shop.

I think it's important with some kind of API so that people can develop their own payment options. Obviously you won't develop swedish payment options so we will have to do it ourselves.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Just a quick question. I sit safe to say that this plugin is effectively a multi vendor system?

Yes, that is the core purpose of the plugin. Soon you will see global aggragation and social networking features.

I think it's important with some kind of API so that people can develop their own payment options. Obviously you won't develop swedish payment options so we will have to do it ourselves.

The gateway portion of this plugin was designed from the ground up to have an incredibly feature rich, well documents, and simple API. More than any other plugin out there. Just check out the paypal gateway php source for a fully documented example.

• Renaissance Media

We're having a great time with this plugin. Anxiously awaiting more updates. Only problem we've had thus far is an error from PP whenever someone tries to purchase an item. Payments go through just fine, sales are recorded by the plugin just fine. The error message freaks people out, so that they have to email and ask for a confirmation that the order went through OK.

Future add-on suggestion (might have missed someone else suggesting same):: Auction capability. That would be a groovy option.

Many thanks!

• Lindon

having a horrible time with this thing, clearly I'm doing something wrong. I've created a product and set the plugin to "buy now" in all places, however it tells me there is no page called /store or /store/shopping-cart.

I've tried to create pages called this, I've tried to get the plug to point to "normal" pages called "Store" but nothing is working....flat out unhappy.

• Lindon

Aaron,

"Please visit the presentation settings page of the plugin and hit save. This will recreate the base page if it doesn't exist, and refresh all rewrites."

Done that, then put the shopping cart in sidebar using the widget controls...went to the site,
    where I see the Shopping Cart listed in the side bar, as there is nothing in my cart right now it offers me a "Browse Products >>" option, click that and get the standard "Oops this link appears to be broken" page with a url of http://channelrobot.com/store/

I have created a product. I'm now mystified how this thing works at all.

Right now I STRONGLY suggest you DONT move out of Beta, 'cause this is a serious bug.

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

Not working. I use subdirectory rather then subdomain has this been tested with such a config?

I also use the modifies hatches for such a config:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+)  wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

So to clarify

My setup is this. Site.com/blog/postid and site.com/page

Store shows as site.com/services. But lower tree is configured for site.com/services/showcase but when you click the menu it looks for site.com/blog/services/showcase.

Looks like that blog (which comes into play with subdirectory configs. Any opinion on this?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ah, that makes a bit of sense. So it's more of a linking problem. If you enter in
    site.com/services/showcase
    does it work?

The links are generated via the main blog url, not hardcoded or anything
    home_url()

Can you describe how you have the /blog/ in there but still having pages at root? It's not really making sense to me. Are you using multisite? Is it a main blog or subblog, subdomain or subdir install? Where are the WP files actually installed?

Links would really help as well.

• archomole

I like the simplicity and multi-site feature of marketpress. Great work!!!
    I played around with it but couldn't find a way to add options/attributes to products.
    e.g
    shirt with color option and size option?

Options can be additional cost
    e.g Large Shirt might be additional $5.00
    is there a plan for that? or is outside the scope?

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello. Hope you all had a great holiday.

This is the main blog, so the pages on rooted but for some reason /blog/ is added to the url for pst only (via permalinks). THis is converted from subdomian to subdirectory but everything is working.

I am on multisite, the WP site file are installed to (linux file directory here:slight_smile: /home/www/wpinstall/

and I have a wp standard install in /home/www/ which is why sub domain woulnt work for me (Complicated goddady config for mulitple sites here).

That being said the sub pages for ecommerce are missing the /blog/ but when I add it it doesn't work.

• Aaron
    • CTO

is there a plan for that? or is outside the scope?

It's planned, but probably won't make it into 1.0. For now one can just make multiple products.

That being said the sub pages for ecommerce are missing the /blog/ but when I add it it doesn't work.

They should not have the /blog/ if thats just part of your post permalink settings. It should work wherever page slugs are, so if you create a page it will be mysite.com/page/, so you will get mysite.com/store/*

Does that make sense? A link would really help if not.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.