anti-splog TTC Reg Bot detector and htaccess

I am considering installation of the anti-splog plugin, and wondering if it will work well with the "TTC User Registration Bot Detector" - or if it would just be redundant.

I am also wondering what happens if I let my wpmudev subscription expire, will the other functions of the anti-splog plugin still function? And will ti cause any other problems with it's other functions?

I am also wondering if there is a way to htaccess ban these freaking bots! (or if there is another method to keep them from pinging my server and making database requests!)

One of my MU installs has been on "no signups for the past two years, today I opened up registration for 10 minutes to test the supporter plugin, and wham, I got three signups.

I was hoping that the supporter plugin would stop the signups, by forcing someone to pay before they could register, but I guess it's not really made that way..

Is there any way to stop these bots from hitting the server and making requests? I am starting to fiddle with the TTC Reg Bot plugin to see if it works, and if I can get a decent list to ban through htaccess or something - that should help cut back on my server load right?

Info appreciated!

• drmike

Hmm, first I saw of this thread. Sorry. Friendly reminder that it's technically a holiday weekend here in the States as well.

The plugin referenced in case anyone is interested: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ttc-user-registration-bot-detector/

Gotta admit I wouldn't touch that plugin. One spammer and all of AOL is blocked. Another spammer and all of Time Warner is blocked from registrating. Have a spammer use a gmail address? Well kiss those users goodbye. From scanning the code, it looks like it's gung ho on blocking from the first person who gets marked as a spammer. You can override but you have to notice that it;s occurring.

I am also wondering what happens if I let my wpmudev subscription expire, will the other functions of the anti-splog plugin still function? And will ti cause any other problems with it's other functions?

That's a policy question. Andrew is going to have to answer that one. As I understand it though, the rest of the plugin will work fine.

I am also wondering if there is a way to htaccess ban these freaking bots! (or if there is another method to keep them from pinging my server and making database requests!)

Been beat to death here and on the regular mu forums. There's also three links in your readme file on this. (best one: http://www.darcynorman.net/2009/05/20/stopping-spamblog-registration-in-wordpress-multiuser/ Be sure to read the comments though, especially mine. Providing an out is very much needed.)

I was hoping that the supporter plugin would stop the signups, by forcing someone to pay before they could register, but I guess it's not really made that way..

Actually you want to look at the Pay To Blog plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-to-blog

Supporter, Membership and the Upgrades plugins are more for allowing folks to have free blogs and them to encourage them to pay for upgrades.

Is there any way to stop these bots from hitting the server and making requests?

Again, please search for "splogs" here and on the mu forums. This has been beat to death many times.

if I can get a decent list to ban through htaccess or something - that should help cut back on my server load right?

No such thing as a decent list as it's always changing. As for server load, you may want to look into caching if you;re not already doing it. Spammers and sploggers are still going to hit your server though, even if they're blocked. If you do notice IP addresses hitting your server though over and over again, and we're talking more like hundreds of times within a single day, I'd be passing the information along to whomever controls your firewalls and have them block it there.

Did I ask too many questions here in one post?

To be honest, I have a feeling that it;s more of a "Oh goody, it's this topic yet again" feeling. I've added the splog tag to this topic. You can see how many times this has come up. No offense but a search is provided for a reason.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

edit: Of, forgot to mention I'm not big on using multiple plugins to handle the same problem. I would use either the antisplog plugin from here to the one you reference. Multiple plugins just increase server load and I seriously doubt it's worth the trade off. You're going to get splogs no matter what you do. I would be more concerned about losing clients or possible clients who get caught in the signup procedure. Get them signed up first and then you can deal with them. One of the worse things with buddypress is they require an avatar during signup with no way around that. (Do they still do that?) Not many folks have their avatars on their desktop.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.