Anti-Splog, WP-Hashcash and WPTouch compatibility

Hi,
I'm trying to use WP-Hashcash for splogs, spam and pingbacks. Does the Anti Splog plugin replace or compliment Hashcash?

Could I use the Anti Splog API Key instead of Akismet in Hashcash?

I edited WPTouch to work with Hashcash. (http://thesalmonfarm.org/blog/p/1816) Will I need edits for the Anti-Splog?

I'm running WPMU 2.9.1.1 with Multi-DB.

Thanks,
ChuckS

• Aaron
    • CTO

I'm trying to use WP-Hashcash for splogs, spam and pingbacks. Does the Anti Splog plugin replace or compliment Hashcash?

You can probably use them in conjunction.

Could I use the Anti Splog API Key instead of Akismet in Hashcash?

No. Different API's

Will I need edits for the Anti-Splog?

You shouldn't. Note hashcache is mainly for spam comments, which is completely different that splogs. Hashcache has recently been modified to work with wp-signup.php too, so it should be able to work in conjunction with Anti-Splog.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We don;t see a relationship between spam user account creation and comment/forum spam creation in terms of IP addresses. For us, it;s different data.

I shake my head when folks go on with "I'm using Akismet to check against new user creation!" on the mu forums. Especially since Matt has stated a couple of times that Akismet doesn't check again IP address. (Although he has stated a couple of times that it does.)

Comment spam is huge, at least for us. Got 2 quad Xeons taking care of my 122 servers (and a few offsite ones) with another Xeon coming in February. We run hourly backups, interface with the firewalls, check against a current blacklist, a perminate blacklist as well as a gray list, and do other things so a lot of that load my be out own making. We're running a hack of Spam Assassin though which may be part of the problem. Thinking about moving over to Typepad's antispam server software. Unlike Akismet, it's Open Source and you can request a copy.

Matt said a couple of years ago that Akismet was only 2 servers. I wonder what it is today.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@drmike:

so you're saying use a different solution for spam comments?

I just hoped it could be an all-in-one solution. trying to get by with as little plugins as possible.

Still with the montyspam plugin so far. Takes care of all spam issues.

Just wanted to give this anti splog tool a try and wondered why its not used for comments too...

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We use a single solution for both but for us, the data we're seeing is different when you compare the two.

A perfect example is the email domain being used. For splogs and user account creation, something that a bot is going to have to interact with, we see an actual domain like imaspammer.tld. (Folks complain every so often about the use of *.info domains used for splog creation.) For comment and forum spam, we usually see throw away accounts on free mail providers like gmail because it doesn;t matter what that address gets as the spammer will never look or interact with it.

Never really sat down and run analysis on the data though. My opinion is coming from our Top100 data that gets emailed to me every day for forum/comment spam while the user account is just from talking to clients. I'll be the first to admit that I may be wrong.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

I guess I'll stick with montyspam for a while then. shows excellent results, the guy is recoding it to be ready for wp 3.0 as he had 2 different versions till now, its a solution based on bayes and its local. the latter being the selling point for me.

Thanks for the insights though.

• Aaron
    • CTO

There are like 50+ plugins for comment spam. Many which work great.

We are trying to fill the huge gap with a lack of splog prevention plugins. Not just another captcha or bot prevention technique, but the very first splog API service which leverages data from many wpmu sites. And the coolest development is it is the first to actually check the post content of blogs!

Ours is the only effective plugin against manual sploggers (we get a few hundred of those each day at edublogs!). Not to mention the amazing moderation interface to sort through and remove splogs, a hundred times better than the regular Site Admin->Blogs area.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

:slight_smile: you are right Aaron, its just that I assumed your solution would also be a "learning" solution maybe bayes based, maybe rules based, and it looks like it is.
    So I was just wondering that comment protection had not bee integrated as well...

Maybe an idea for a future version :slight_smile:

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

I suppose that competing with Akismet might not be a bad idea though... I'm quite sure that WPMU DEV members don't want to pay Automa**ic their (vary significant) fees for a large number of blogs and also, with the API only available to members, it might be even more reliable.

We'll have a think about it... although I'd imagine it'd take some time to get right!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.