Any formatting available for the welcome letter?

I wrote a lengthy welcome letter for new users, telling them what to expect and where to find what. I made a list, and indented the second tier list items.

All the indentations formatting was lost by the time I got my test email. Any idea what I can do to correct this?

Thanks

• Aaron
    • CTO

Even text emails allow tabs and spaces as indents.

Those should work, it's just hard to insert tabs to webforms without pasting them.

What about a way to automatically subscribe the new blogger to an autoresponder series?

We have our automessage plugin for text emails. If you want full HTML I would use our mailchimp plugin. You can then setup autoresponders through mailchimp.
    http://www.mailchimp.com/features/power_features/autoresponders

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Even text emails allow tabs and spaces as indents.

I believe that may be wordpress stripping those. I seem to recall extra lines and spaces when spaces are being used to be an annoyance of *cough* someone up high in the food chain and the filters stripping them out.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I believe that may be wordpress stripping those. I seem to recall extra lines and spaces when spaces are being used to be an annoyance of *cough* someone up high in the food chain and the filters stripping them out.

That seems to be one of the most solid reasons I've heard for things like this. Peresonal dictates of someone high on the food chain. Reminds me of when I was doing income taxes for a living and trying to figure out why you had to be 59 1/2 to be able to withdraw your retirement funds without that horrible penalty. Seems someone on the Ways & Means committee at the time the code was being written had a relative who was approaching 59 1/2 and wanted to pull their funds out. Same logic ... high food chain placement.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I'm not wanting to mail to the "user list." I want to mail to the "blog owner" list. Only.

I don't want regular users getting the "inside scoop."

Besides that, I don't want another monthly subscription fee when I already have an autoresponder system that can send the messages out, if it gets the signup notification.

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

How would MailChimp work to automatically add new bloggers?

It does add and sync users perfectly, but it unfortunately doesn't activate the autoresponder. Bloggers will still have to opt in separately for the autoresponder to recognize a time and activate.

So that probably won't work for you. I use the welcome pack plugin to send a welcome message with a subscribe link attached which works, but I do still miss a few subscribers.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

You will have to code a custom plugin for this then I'm afraid.

I'm afraid you're right. It is such a simple change that I could almost do it myself ... I've had it done on several sites, wher I wasn't going to be updating. However, it seems that between WP and WPMU, there will be major changes coming and I was trying to avoid the maintenance that will cause with the plugin.

:Sigh."

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Bump this in a day or two. In the back of my mind, you should be able to add in a line to the header of the email being sent to change the email from text to html. I'm not able to download or unzip currently until I get the laptop back up and running. Currently working on that,

Wasn;t trying to be cute or anything previously. There are a few topics with wordpress that a certain someone says "That's the way it is" and that's the way it is. Like how two or more hyphens in a row get merged into a line and the like.

• Aaron
    • CTO

It is true the wp_mail() function is pluggable so you can rewrite it via a plugin. There is also a filter on the headers so you can enable html also.

I just didn't mention it as it would take some programming skills. We are actually considering creating an HTML email template plugin. Anyone interested?

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Wasn;t trying to be cute or anything previously.

I wasn't either. That type of thing actually exists, and more than we may want to admit. Ask me why everyone of my bloggers starts with a green theme. I liked it, so its set as the default.

We are actually considering creating an HTML email template plugin. Anyone interested?

But heck I'm old school. HTML doesn;t belong in email.

It's not that big a deal to me if I can get some alignment so readers can tell that 1a is not at the same level a 1 when presented in (1) and (a). I prefer most of my emails to be text, unless they are adverts. Then I'm okay with html as that allows me to see the pretty product pictures (I sure wanted to say pitchers) without having to open a browser and navigate to a website.

As a note ... my autoresponder has two textareas for input, and sends the emails as a two part mime, which seems to satisfy my readers. All I do is insert line breaks and an anchor for hyperlinks, so it appears as text to those what do have the html message settings in their email client ... as I think most folks do here.

Cheers

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Something else to remember is that you'll need to send the content twice within the same email body, once as html and once again as plain text. I believe there's a strip tags function though within wp.

That is something almost anyone using an autresponder email system will be used to doing. It's not hard to learn to remember ... but I couldn't live without my javascript preview window. Been known to send out some very broken html on the few times that I did it, and didn't preview.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Which is pretty amateurish if you ask me

Agreed but then you also run into the issue of tracking and stats and seeing who's reading what. You can;t do that with plain text but nearly every email client can launch a browser when a link is clicked on.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Agreed but then you also run into the issue of tracking and stats and seeing who's reading what. You can;t do that with plain text but nearly every email client can launch a browser when a link is clicked on.

Didn't quite follow your gist.

The html emails used to be okay for tracking, as they would insert invisible images into the content. But now most email clients have added image blocking to prevent intrusions. And, links have to be trusted in order to track them, so the only thing I send pitches to is either a double opt-in list, or a membership list, of which I consider my bloggers to be a membership list. As long as they're using the service, they need to get my email, whether they read it or not. Folks who cancel, get canceled. Fair trade.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Didn't quite follow your gist.

Next time you get one, hover your mouse over one of the images. Chances are you'll see something like an md5 code within the image url. That's different for each email being sent. It's done to see if you;re reading the email and to see who's not reading them.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Next time you get one, hover your mouse over one of the images. Chances are you'll see something like an md5 code within the image url. That's different for each email being sent. It's done to see if you;re reading the email and to see who's not reading them.

That's why folks like Constant Contact use invisible gif's, so you can't see the little buggers.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Krik, I found this while looking for an answer for your wp_mail vs mail thread:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_mail#Notes

Not sure where you are at with this but if that first bit under the Notes is true, you should be able to use the "wp_mail_content_type" filter to change this.

edit: I think I got this right:

<?php
          /*
          Plugin name: Mail Type Filter
          Version: 1.0
          */

function my_email_filter($content){
            return str_replace('text/plain', 'text/html', $content);
          }
          add_filter('wp_mail_content_type', 'my_email_filter');
          ?>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.