Any idea when the directory rework will be released?

I keep hearing rumours that the directory plugin is getting rewritten and just wanted to know if you have a rough idea when it will be released?

I am debating using appthemes directory theme on a sub site (not ideal) but would rather use your solution if its been completely reworked.

Even a rough date for a beta would help so i can decide whether to hold off till i can try and compare

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ashley Keable,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I believe that rumor is several months old and it has been re-worked just in the last couple of months.

It is completely functional to the best of my knowledge and experience.

I will see what the lead developer has to say about this rumor inviting him in here for comment in case I am missing the boat somewhere, but I do not think so considering a major development like this rumor … lol

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Well the full rewrite isn’t ready yet. The current version has problems with Multisite and doesn’t play well with Classifieds. As to when I keep hoping in a few days and then find just one more thing that has to be fixed.

I’ll keep in mind your offer to beta test.

• Ashley Keable
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@arnoldb

Thanks for getting back to me. Can you give any info into what types of new features will be available.

The biggest thing for me is to do away with the word press method of adding pictures as its confusing for users. I would prefer it to be a simple button to upload a picture similar to classifieds front end.

Thanks

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

As far as file upload, I don’t see much point in not using the built in WordPress method. If you want the standard browser style button you can click the browser upload link on the popup page and it will switch and remember the preference. I could probably set it up so it would start in your preference.

But the rest of it is needed for those that like drag and drop or multiple file uploading and to manage the images, select the featured image embed them in post etc etc.

• Ashley Keable
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for replying back @arnoldb

Whilst in one way i understand your logic this can be confusing for most users and the best directory plugins or themes do it completely different.

What i am referring to is a simple page listing from the front end like appthemes and other directory methods use. ( see picture)

They use a simple form that users can enter address that updates the Google map and then upload the relevant images which will automatically get placed in the relevant sections.

This is what the current classifieds plugin does from the front end, a simple upload box and this then generates the featured image automatically.

This method is much cleaner and if plugin has a hope of competing with the more popular options it should include the simple image upload and Google maps as standard.

Is this something that can be done or have you no interest?

I am merely trying to figure out if it will as if not i will simply use the app themes option. However i always like to use wpmu dev stuff as much as possible.

Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ashley,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

I think it would be best for us to see what @arnold comes up with in the new release and to get the new release on board before we start tearing into it.

I am merely trying to figure out if it will as if not i will simply use the app themes option. However i always like to use wpmu dev stuff as much as possible.

We certainly appreciate your loyalty, but it is also certain that one cannot please all the people all the time.

Until we have something solid to look at and work with regarding the new release, I am closing this ticket as a matter of good ticket house keeping and us (you and I) not knowing what the new release will bring and it is sure that Arnold will/has taken your suggestions into consideration.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.