any idea why

any idea why managed backups doesn't work on this site?

• James Morris

Hello digitalweb

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

Looking over your site, I found a number of issues that needed to be addressed.

1. PHP was configured only to allocate 256M of memory to the site.

Your server has a fairly large amount of memory available and your site serves a decent amount of traffic. I've updated your .user.ini and wp-config.php files to allocate a much larger amount of memory to the site to improve performance and stability.

2. You had a database table that was crashed.

The wp_wfVulnScanners table was crashed and causing a great deal of PHP fatal errors. This table has to do with WordFence and was causing the site to loose connection with MySQL every time cron ran. I've deleted the table and deactivated and reactivated WordFence in order to force a regeneration of the table.

3. You were missing some exclusions in Snapshots for directories that needed to be skipped during the backup process. I've added these exclusions.

4. Your Database server's configuration is not optimal for the load that is being placed on it.

Basically, what's happening with your site right now is you're getting too many requests for the database server to handle and it's dropping connections and writing out temp tables to try to satisfy the requests. This causes a great deal of issues with anything interacting with the database.

In phpMyAdmin, there is a great Status tool (phpMyAdmin -> Home icon -> Status tab) that gives you access to a few tools that you should use to optimize your database server's configuration.

Monitor - This tool shows you in near real time the load being placed on your server and possible bottleneck areas. I highly recommend taking a look there to get a better idea of the load being placed on the server.

Advisor - Here you will find actionable tips on how you can improve your server's performance. Each tip is clickable. Just click on it and it will give you a better idea of what configuration variable needs changed to improve performance.

The Advisor tool assumes you have root access to your database server and the ability to change the configuration files. If you do not have these, it's best to contact your web hosting provider and point them to this thread so they will have a better understanding of what you need.

Screenshots:
    http://storage8.static.itmages.com/i/18/0414/h_1523697686_1400396_5cbdb0ebb6.png
    http://storage9.static.itmages.com/i/18/0414/h_1523697711_9693597_90d7a98529.png

How this relates to Snapshot is that the server is going through so much CPU time and reads/writes to disk that Snapshot is basically competing with the database server for resources. This results in Snapshot Manged backups sometimes failing, even though there's plenty of memory available to it.

Please look into working through the issues with your database server with your web host. Improving the performance there will not only help Snapshot work better for you, but will also provide a much more stable and faster experience for you and your visitors.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.