Any membership alternatives - shortcodes not working, cant customize easily, ugly default interface

I have just been running into problem after problem with Membership. What a headache, I've been searching in forums the past 10 days rather than designing my site! I can't believe the bugs this plugin has, are there any alternatives that someone can recommend.

1. basic Shortcodes arent working or not showing up at all. [accountform][subscribeform] [renewform]

2. I'll install another 3rd party plugin and WPMU membership changes everything around.

3. I select a registration page and it shows me 2 different things when, with 1a url it shows purchasing options (that is set as my registration page), with 1b url it shows registration

1a. http://www.utubeschool.com/register-3
1b. http://www.utubeschool.com/register-3/?action=registeruser&subscription=2

4. I cant make a custom registration page with shortcodes.

5. I've only scratched the surface and havent even gotten to protecting content yet. And I'm reading up on everyone elses problems and I can only imagine whats to come.

6. Dont have basic functions like changing button colors without installing a 3rd party css plugin.

7. cant change simple default text without finding a php file and looking though lines of code.

8. I have a responsive theme and cant put registration page in a container to restrict sizes. it just stretches across the entire screen.

9. I set a registration page and it shows "subscriber form" rather than "registration form"

10. Very difficult to customize basic pages. The point of plugins are tools to make things easy for the user. Not harder.

11. I want to make a custom dashboard with multiple menus for premium users and free users and that isnt working right.

Like i said, I've just been trying to get the simple signup forms to work right and I've spent the last 4 days working on it. I can only imagine the hell I'm going to go though just to set up private content and purchasing options and a custom dashboard.

I see the potential this plugin has but they released it way to early with to many problems, you can just look at the thousands of threads online and see that its not just me dealing with these issues.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP - ARE THERE ALTERNATIVES THAT ARE BETTER THAN MEMBERSHIP OR ARE THEY ALL THIS BUGGY?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Craig,

Thank you for your questions.

Let's resolve them one by one.

1. basic Shortcodes arent working or not showing up at all. [accountform][subscribeform] [renewform]

I have tested these shortcodes on my test site and its working fine except the shortcode [subscribeform] because it's not [subscribeform] shortcode but the [subscriptionform] shortcode.

Could you please share me the page link where you have added it so that ican teoubleshoot it?

2. I'll install another 3rd party plugin and WPMU membership changes everything around.

Which 3rd party plugin have you installed and what changes WPMU membership plugin made there?

3. I select a registration page and it shows me 2 different things when, with 1a url it shows purchasing options (that is set as my registration page), with 1b url it shows registration

1a. http://www.utubeschool.com/register-3
    1b. http://www.utubeschool.com/register-3/?action=registeruser&subscription=2

This is the page http://www.utubeschool.com/register-3/ that the unregistered users will get that allow them to choose membership subscription plan that you have created.

After choosing the subscription plan the registration page displays that allows users to register and subscribe to the selected subscription plan.

4. I cant make a custom registration page with shortcodes.

You can create custom subscription page by editing the following Membership plugin template files and customize registration page the same way we customize default WordPress registration page as membership uses the same default WordPress registration process.

membership\membershipincludes\includes\subscription.form.php
    membership\classes\Membership\Render\Page\Registration\Standard.php
    membership\classes\Membership\Render\Page\Registration\Popup.php ( In case if you use pop up form registration )

5. I've only scratched the surface and havent even gotten to protecting content yet. And I'm reading up on everyone elses problems and I can only imagine whats to come.

If you have any problem feel free to ask us.

You will find more information about usage of this plugin on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

6. Dont have basic functions like changing button colors without installing a 3rd party css plugin.

WordPress plugins are developed to provide functionality. It's the theme that applies styling on it. Creating options for changing individual button colors will overload the plugin.

Though there is already a feature request created for this feature and this feature may be added in future version of plugin but We don't publish ETAs to prevent disappointment if a deadline is missed(which in plugin development quite a frequent occurrence!).

For now if you want to change any button color then just ask us, we will help you to change it.

7. cant change simple default text without finding a php file and looking though lines of code.

You can change it easily by translating the plugin as described on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-plugin/

8. I have a responsive theme and cant put registration page in a container to restrict sizes. it just stretches across the entire screen.

Please share us the registration page link so that we can help you to make it responsive.

9. I set a registration page and it shows "subscriber form" rather than "registration form"

It displays the page name that you have set as a registration page on the following path.

Admin ares -> Membership Options -> Membership Pages -> Registration page

10. Very difficult to customize basic pages. The point of plugins are tools to make things easy for the user. Not harder.

Please tell us which membership pages you think are harder to customize.

11. I want to make a custom dashboard with multiple menus for premium users and free users and that isnt working right.

How have you configured it to work and what's the problem are you facing in it?

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Craig

Thanks for replying Vinod.

1. I understand shortcodes probably work on your test site. but they dont work on mine. If they dont work with the theme i'm using then its absolutely useless. so if you can see why they are not working on my site, then great! if you tell me that they dont work with my elegant themes - divi 2.0 theme... then I will have to find another membership plugin that will. because that is the most basic thing that has been irritating me.

2. Since the plugin doesnt do one of the most basic things in membership sites,"themed log in" page, i have installed "theme my login" plugin so i dont have the ugly default wordpress login. As soon as i installed that, it created duplicate pages, and ever since I haven't been able to get my basic login pages to set correctly in Membership. Everything can easily be solved if the shortcodes were working but I've been frustrated with finding work arounds at this point.

4. I'm no expert at coding, thats why i spent all this extra money on a theme that has page layout. To be editing code for a custom page is so time consuming and it goes back to, if the shortcodes worked properly, I could easily do what i need to do.

5. I've watched all the videos, and read the pdf... still didnt solve half the questions and problems I ran into the past week.

6. skip

7. Goes back to, why not design a text box somewhere in the plugin that simply changes default text. to use the method you just gave me (link you provided) made a 2 second job into a 2 hour job for someone who's never done it before.

When i ask myself, "hmmm, how do i change the default text" I spend 10 minutes looking though all the plugin options, then I head over to your support forums and type my question into the forums, then i loose myself by reading 5-10 stories, or I have to re-word my search because I didnt feel the results were right because your support forums return to many generic results (that arent related to my problems) for the question i'm asking. Then after I get close to what i need, I have to figure out how to "translate a wordpress plugin" to change a simple text from

"select a subscription" to " choose a course"

it doesnt make sense and these are the key functions i'm talking about that WPMU left out of the equation before launch. and these are the reasons why I'm so frustrated right now. Its been this process on everything I want to do.

9. Well when I say "click here for free signup" i didnt want it to show all the subscription options and see prices for the upsale. I wanted them to sign up first, then upsell later. so ive been trying to setup a work around from using your defaults. But the fact that like you told me in part 3, and if we can get the shortcodes working. I would have no problem doing what i need to do.

10. (my rants above)

11. we'll get to the custom dashboard when the time comes

right now if you can tell me if the shortcodes will work with my Divi theme, and a way to theme my log in with a plugin that doesnt conflict with your plugin.

I've given you guys support access. please figure out these problems.

I'm sorry you have to take the heat Vinod, I know its not your plugin and you didnt make these key decisions but please share with your company, the frustrations that me and many other users are having.

Thanks for your help.

• Craig

Hey Guys, here is an official update on my situation. I dont believe it is the "theme my login" plugin that is causing the problems..... i created a new wordpress site from scratch and just installed the DIVI 2.0 theme and WPMU Membership Plugin. I set everything up and tested the shortcodes and they do not work with that theme. Here is the other support ticket discussing the details. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/elegant-themes-divi-20-and-wpmu-membership-do-not-work-together?replies=1#post-696984

does anyone know if there are plugins that work with DIVI 2.0 theme? or is this something that can be fixed by either company?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.