any responsive themes??

I am looking for responsive themes. Is there any way to select them and compare them?
I could not find a way to do this.
Thanks for any suggestion!
Michel-de

• michel-de

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I am very sorry to hear this.
    In an earlier discussion in February this year the same thing was said and promised. (see: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/which-buddypressmultisite-themes-are-responsive#post-181703)

I personally do not any longer look for ANY theme that is not responsive, as its use is getting so limited.

I am also a bit surprised that this does not have higher priority as 9 months is really a long time!

Hope more people share this feeling and something starts to move...

Michel

• Sue

Hi Michel and Brian

I would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the pros and cons of responsive themes.

Personally I like responsive themes and use them on a few on my blogs. However, the only support requests we now get regarding themes on mobile devices are issues related to responsive themes. We end up having to explain responsive themes and how the layout of the theme they are using changes with the device they are using to view.

Another interesting point is we no longer get requests to install plugins to make more mobile friendly. Perhaps people have just got use to adjusting website viewing based on the device they are using?

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• Brian Purkiss

I would love to talk about this topic as it is one that cannot be ignored these days – and many designers and developers are doing so.

Mobile browsing is an ever growing component of the web. More and more people are browsing more and more, often even exclusively, on mobile devices. I know several people that only browse the web on their iPad and iPhone. And they aren't the only ones. Here's some stats for you.

• 31% of American adults use their phones for the majority of their internet access. (source)
    • 42% of UK adults that own a smartphone now say that device is the most important device for accessing the Internet. (source)
    • Worldwide, 25% of mobile web users only use mobile web or very rarely use desktop websites. (source)
    • 102 million people access Facebook solely from mobile in June – a 23% increase over mobile users in March. (source)
    • 70% of Pandora's traffic came from mobile devices in March 2012. (source)
    • The Weather Channel registered 1.1 billion page views via desktop and 1.3 billion page views via mobile. (source)
    • In February 2012, 46% of adults in America use smartphones. (source) By now likely over half of all Americans use smartphones.
    • More crazy mobile statistics

Soon, Mobile Users will Pass Desktop Users

It is predicted that by early 2014 more people will be using mobile devices than desktop devices. (source)

At the rate that mobile usage is growing, it is irresponsible for web developers and designers to ignore mobile devices. It is our job to provide our clients and customers the best browsing experience possible. How can we call ourselves web designers if we do our clients a disservice by providing them with a non-optimal website? We must rise and live up to our duty! We must rise and stive to be the best we can! We must rise! Men of the West!

Ahem. Sorry. Got a little carried away there.

That all being said, we must consider how our devices look on tablets and smartphones. I believe responsive to be the best way of delivering an optimal experience.

Pros and Cons

Now that I'm done preaching to the choir, here are some of the pros and cons of responsive themes.

The first, and most obvious, con is that they require additional work (read: cost). A good responsive theme requires additional planning from the beginning, and additional coding.

The second is the increase in file sizes. Since additional CSS is required through media queries to deliver the various "breakpoints" and changes in layout as it gets smaller, some file sizes will increase. But a properly planned and built theme can keep these file size increases at a minimum.

The biggest pro of responsive themes is the custom delivered layout no matter the device size. With the countless device sizes out there, the advantage of this cannot be ignored. Giving your users a site that is customized for their device width greatly improves the ease of browsing your website, makes them more likely to return, will make them more likely to buy something, and more. This pro right here is why all cons, which are already manageable, to be worth it.

If your client thinks that the extra investment for a mobile site should be made aware that over half of all web browsing will be done from a mobile device within a year and a half.

Well. That was a little rambling and round about. But I hope y'all got something useful out of it. If you have any questions, counter points, or discussion directions I would love to continue discussing this. I am rather passionate about the web, it's my profession after all, and I strongly believe in responsive web design considering the future of the web.

• michel-de

To the above I would like to add that there are quite a few WP designers offering responsive themes. Some create their new themes only as responsive themes. Therefor it is a bit strange that in such a high quality community as the wpmudev is, there is no movement in this direction for so long.

Hope to see it change soon.

Thanks Brian for offering to be the brave knight breaking his lance on this item!

Michel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.