Any suggestions to improve site speeds?

I am using your Pro Sites, with several other of your plugins on my MultiSite set up, and my site is EXTREMELY slow in terms of page loads.

The new blog template loads is so slow it gets an "F" grade and registers in the 20s on google's page speed test. Compared to other pages on the site, it drops 30 points.

I have compressed the images with the WP-smush it plugin, but still slow as all can be.

I am also using QuickCache. Not really helping either.

My server people are telling me that WPMU Plugins are too heavy and using too many resources, causing the slow down. So essentially they are pointing the finger at you. Also, I am not fully using my resources on my hosting account, and I pay for more than basic shared hosting. It's an upgraded plan.

So any ideas on how I can speed this thing up? Is there a certain speed of server I need to move to?

Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Sam, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I am using your Pro Sites, with several other of your plugins on my MultiSite set up, and my site is EXTREMELY slow in terms of page loads.

The new blog template loads is so slow it gets an "F" grade and registers in the 20s on google's page speed test. Compared to other pages on the site, it drops 30 points.

Are you seeing this slowdown on a specific site that's designated as a blog template? Which site would this be?

My server people are telling me that WPMU Plugins are too heavy and using too many resources, causing the slow down. So essentially they are pointing the finger at you. Also, I am not fully using my resources on my hosting account, and I pay for more than basic shared hosting. It's an upgraded plan.

Who's hosting your site presently, and what kind of plan do you have with them?

I noticed that when I ran a scan with P3 Profiler on your site, the plugin load time wasn't that big (0.620 seconds), so I'm curious as to whether there's something else causing a hiccup here.

Please advise,
    Michael

• karks88

Yikes, no fun! If you were to turn off the WPMU plugins you're running, do you notice a big difference in speed?

Slowdowns can be caused by so many things...

1. Server is overloaded with requests (happens a lot with shared hosting)

2. There could be a script conflict

3. A theme or plugin could be requesting a file that isn't there

4. If you're pulling code from another site (like you sometimes do with Google services), you could slow down if that service is having problems

5. The database may need to be repaired or optimized

6. A poorly coded plugin certainly could mess with your speed

Does your speed testing show any sort of errors getting to files, etc?

Here's an article I recently wrote about speeding up WordPress - may or may not be relevant to your situation:
    http://marketblog.envato.com/tips/simple-methods-speeding-wordpress/

• Sam

I really don't know where the issue is.

I've attached a screenshot of the latest test from gtmetrix.com

And I currently have a Cloud Hosting Plan with Site5. It is in the $40 range/month. Their top cloud account.

I did see some of the heavy files were coming from WPMU chat, contact form 7, and Rev Slider. So I have disabled all. Not much improvement.

I also have activated "quick cache" because I read it had less issues that W3 Total Cache and Multi-Site.

Sam

• Ash

Hello @Sam

I hope you are well today.

WPMU Chat and revslide are really heavy plugin. When you will use many heavy plugins in your site, you have to consider the slow page load.

How many plugins you have installed in your site? What is memory limit? And as @karks88 mentioned, do you see any missing file request? Any conflict?

You may try to deactivate all plugins and activate one by one and check which one is causing the dramatically increment of your page speed.

Cheers
    Ash

• Sam

Ash,

The slowest page is the "new blog templates". I have like 21 demos built and I have a page set to bring in the thumbnails. And on the plugin it suggest photos the size of 880 x660 which are pretty big.

Is feeding the "new blog" templates on the /wp-sigup.php page faster? Because I created a new page, which really bogs down. The images are a problem, but I am using low grade jpegs, that I have used "smush it" to make smaller, but I've already compressed so much, that smush it doesn't take it down that much more.

So Really, that "new blog templates" and pages with rev slider are the worst. I don't really need chat, so I just deactivate and deleted that. I am using the support plugin, so chat is irrelevant except for site visitors, and I am not around anyways.

I guess I was hoping for a good list of plugins that works with MutliSite.

I am using Quick Cache, which offers the ability to gzip compression, but it wants me to put something in the htaccess file. I hate screwing with the htaccess file, because I don't know enough about it.

There is also a plugin called WP-optimize that does this too? I used it on a single install I have on another account (using NGNIX) at bluehost. And it really helped with speeds. No configuration really, just plug and play. But I am worried about using it on MultiSite, cause I don't know how it will effect the network. I do believe it injects a code in the htaccess file. But I also think it stores a back up (automatically) before doing so. But again, I don't know enough about htaccess files to deal with it.

I was hoping somebody on your staff had some knowledge of making MultiSites faster.

Finally on my memory limit I have a ton, and spoke with the server people today. I am not getting anywhere near touching that. I am only like at 5%. So I don't beleive that to be the issue.

Again, main thing, just looking for good browser caching, and gzip compression advice (directions) for mutlisite. And was hoping somebody could help.

Let me know if you can.

Thanks,

Sam

• karks88

In your GTMetrix testing, especially pay attention to the TImeline, if you haven't checked that out already. You might see a particular script or file that is just slowing you down.

Maybe try W3 Total Cache instead of Quick Cache (make sure to disable this before adding another caching plugin)? That will work with Multisite. I've found just having the page & browser cache active usually works pretty well. I wouldn't worry about activating the minify unless you're still stuck with a slow site because it can mess up how some plugins work.

• Andre Foisy

Hi there @Sam

I hope your day is going great. :slight_smile:

You've already received some good advices from my colleagues here above, and even from one of our community members as well. At the moment of this writing I went thourgh several pages of your site and found that they're not EXTREMELY slow, in the contrary they're loading relatively fast.

I notice also that you are using Pro Sites and thus want to run a serious Multisites Hosting Service.

If that so, I highly recommend that you seriously consider the following.

The three services here will let you know exactly where your site needs improvements, and even exactly what to do to improve it. They're similar but not the same and each provide excellent insights on what needs to be done, and it should be taken very seriously, concrete action must be taken. Actions taken here will also affect your overall page ranking.

Pingdom
    http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/bdN4Td/http://publishnow.media/

GtMetrix
    http://gtmetrix.com/reports/publishnow.media/QhxZJF3B

Google Insight
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpublishnow.media%2F&tab=mobile

You should also use a content delivery networks (CDN), those will not only help increase your pageload, but will also at the same time remove much server load on your hosting account, especially as you are not yet running a VPS or dedicated server, and protect it from several other types of threats.

At the very least you should use CloudFlare.com, they've a powerful enough free version to start with.
    I would also recommend you add another more typical CDN in the like of MaxCDN.com, there entry level service is much worth it.

I hope all this will much help you, however, if I may, for the type of site and service you are running, I would do no good to you if I would not let you know that very quickly you will have to move all that to a dedicated server. This is something you should keep in mind and start considering for short terms plans.

Best regards,
    Andre

• Sam

Andre,

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

I am actually in the middle of deciding what to do with site currently. I am either going to move all my sites to NGNIX environment I have at BlueHost with another account, where I will use Manage WP, instead of multisite. Or I may decide to keep my current multi-site set up at Site 5, where it currently resides.

Real quick question . . . If you recommend that I move to dedicated servers, what specs do I need to look for? Also would VPS, not work as well, or do you think I need the complete dedication? I can increase size of accounts, but need to know what specs are necessary in doing so (in your opinion).

It's pretty clear, you don't believe I should stay on my current cloud, shared account, with 500 gb of bandwidth, and 40 gb of space, because it is not sufficient enough. Am I correct in assuming that?

I guess I just need to know "what specs" is necessary for Pro Sites to run efficiently?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sam

• Sam

Andre,

I also want to add. That most of my site, or the marketing side of it, is being served by the NGNIX servers from bluehost. If you look at the menus of http://www.publishnowmedia.com or http://www.publishnow.media I have morphed the two into one site. The "sign up now" button is the only thing that takes you to the MultiSite set up on Site 5. The other 90% of the site is being served by bluehost WP service, which is very fast. I am not getting any delays on those pages. Just trying to figure out, how to run multisite faster, if possible. Maybe dedicated servers are the only answer. I don't know. Wish that was explained in the pre-set up of Pro Sites. Which it isn't addressed. But I get the reasoning why.

Again, thanks for the insight. And let me know if you think VPS would work as well?

I just wanted to let you know, most of the sites pages are being fed by NGNIX and not the MultiSite. Only the Sign Up page.

• Ash

Hello @Sam

When you are shared hosting, the main problem is you have to share the memory resource (RAM) and that's a vital point of slowness of a website.

As you are running a number of heavy plugins I would suggest to go with a dedicated server. Well, a VPS should be good too. 2Gb ram should be enough for setup like this.

Also, it would be better if you can discuss with a server administrator before buying.

Cheers
    Ash